Hacking Xell and Mupen64

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey (I hope this is in the right section)

I've got a newly RGH'd Xbox 360 Corona Slim (I paid a guy to do it) with Freestyle Dash and everything there has been running great. I started getting adventurous and installing different emulators. Most were fine and easy but I'm having problems with Mupen64 and Xell.

I tried installing Mupen with Xell but it would make the text would off align and freeze. So I figured 'hey maybe I need to update Xell.’ So I downloaded Xell reloaded 0.993 (I have no idea what the version was before). I renamed the “xell-gggggg.bin” file to “updxell.bin,” tossed the files onto a flash drive and tried to install it. Bunch of text scrolls through, blah blah blah but then it stopped and didn’t change. So I tried restarting and going at it again but now I see nothing but black.

So this is where I stand. I think I botched my Xell. Everything else works, but I’d still kind of like to be able to play Mupen. I don’t know what to do next.

Help!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Humm...
Boot yer 360 via the eject button.

Does XeLL come up?
If yes, then restore a previous NAND dump of the same kernel version (if you have one that is) if not, follow this tutorial.

I have no idea where FSD is installed but you'll have to point to your FSD installation in the settings.ini, otherwise it won't boot up.

To run Mupen, extract the emulator to the root of a USB drive and insert it in yer 360.
Then boot your 360 via the eject button and XeLL loads up which will load Mupen.

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to boot w/ the eject button. Nothing happens. Screen stays black. I've tried a few times, w/ and w/o the USB stick in there.

Is there a bug or something that doesn't allow Xell to display on Coronas via HDMI?

I think I have the NAND dump from the guy that modded the Xbox. Would it be a bunch of files named things like, checksum.md5, cpukey.txt, fuses.txt, image_00000000.cec, KV_info.txt, nanddump1.bin, nanddump2.bin, updflash.bin, etc??

Should I use Xells Rawflash or NAND flasher to reinstall the previous dump? I don't know the first thing about solder and don't want to open the Xbox.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yep.
There's a separate XeLL build for Coronas.
I'm afraid that the only thing you can do is reflash yer NAND with a hardware flasher if FSD doesn't boot up.

Check if FSD boots up normally, if it does then you can rescue it with ease.

updflash.bin is the file you'll need to restore it.

If you can get it to boot to FSD then you should use NAND flasher 360 to restore yer NAND.

Reactions: w2rl0rd

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thankfully FSD still loads great. Am I following this tutorial from the link you sent?

PS Am I going to lose other system data, like avatars, game saves anything else in this process?

"If you're going to do it via NAND flasher 360 then boot up your 360 the normal way and load it up with FSD or XeXMenu.
Place your freshly build NAND on a FAT32 formatted USB drive and plug it in.
Go to XeXMenu or FSD or where ever you've put it and launch 360 NAND flasher.
MatTHzt.jpg
Click on Write NAND/Flash and Select Usb0:, click on updflash.bin wait till the operation has finished.
b0weeS7.jpg
Click on Shutdown and unplug the powercord for 30 sec.
Reboot and wait till it has rebooted.
If correct, it should boot to the latest dash.

To install Avatar data and or other dashfiles, continue to "Installing SysExt. Data" " - DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nope, Avatar data etc will all still be there.
it's just XeLL that has been downgraded.

Just follow the tut and do what it says.
Skip the Avatar data part.

Also, where is FSD installed on your HDD?
Is it on HDD1:/Freestyle?

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the tips. I'll try and follow the tutorial and report back.

Yes, FSD is located on the Hdd1:/Freestyle. Does this change anything??

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No prob~
Good luck!

Nope, it's that I also installed mine on that location (and the tut also has it in that location)
If you had it on your USB or something then you'd have to change the settings.

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp.. I'm back at a dead end. I see these error messages.

Error: No NAND found or unsupported NAND type!

*** Error: An error has occurred ***

My paid hacker gave me a folder with updflash.bin, nanddump1.bin and nanddump2.bin. NAND Flasher 360 didn't like any of the 3 files. I guess... I should use J-Runner and build a new NAND w/ XeBuild?

Ugh.. All of this for N64 NOSTALGIA!? Haha. Thanks again for all your help!

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a making a few different .bins a few different ways. I can't even get NAND flasher to dump my NAND. It says the exact same error. I have no idea what I broke, but it doesn't seem like it's wanting to fix without hardware intervention.

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. I have a new update. I got my Xbox modder on the phone and he gave me some tips.

I double-checked to make sure I in fact had the right CPU keys, etc. and created a new NAND w/ XeBuild.

Instead of NAND Flasher 360, I used Simple Flasher. Simple Flasher was able to backup my NAND and actually flash.
I knew definitively that the NAND was rewritten, because the NXE asked for my WiFi password and initial setup stuff.
When I flashed, however, I got a bunch of block errors. I can look up exact codes if that helps.

I still don't have Xell. It stays black. =[

I tried Dash Launch to run Mupen.elf and it starts. It see the file browser to find a ROM. When I choose one, the music plays for a split second but stays black. =[

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know what version of Xell Reloaded I'm running. It's just whatever is prepackaged w/ XeBuild GUI? Is there an advanced setting or something to put in a custom Xell file?

Oops. Almost forgot to mention I am now using AV cables set to component. My roommate had a spare set of cables.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Click on the link I provided you n download the XeLL version of that one.
Place it in the JRunner folder n overwrite the XeLL file.

Don't close JRunner as it will replace the XeLL file.

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SUCCESS!!!

Well sort of. Xell still does not show me anything. DinohScene I tried what you suggested and reflashed my NAND more times than I want to count.
I decided to play w/ DashLaunch more and installed that to the HDD.
I ran Mupen64 a couple more times, this time with more than 1 rom and some patience.
Turns out I had a bad rom initially and I also was not giving Mupen nearly enough time to load. That sucker needs almost a minute to get a game going.

I'm happy with the results. This chapter of my life is over. Thank you to the both of you for your responses and help. Thank you to the devs that make everything possible.

T_T

Attachments

• IMG_20141009_222955.jpg
    IMG_20141009_222955.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 353
Reactions: marcioap1

w2rl0rd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did mention I'm on component cables now right? Well anyway. Mupen likes component cables. I tried the exact setup w/ HDMI and I could see the pink letters when Mupen was launching, but it was slanted and scrambled.

I have tried Xell w/ both component and HDMI. Still black screen. At this point, I figure I have my cpukeys and anything else I might need. Maybe some issue will come in the not so distant future, but for now it seems okay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?