• Likes 82

Edizius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
or a disc to channel ;)

if the WiiU can open the disc and see app files, it could run WUP installer from the disc as source.
So it would be more a copy-and-paste (without no wup, wux, whatever) from Disc? this sounds pretty silmple to be implemented in wup / a mod of wup?
Change sorcefile from "/sd/install" to "disc" in wup-code would be everithing needed to make a disc-installer?!!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it would work only if a disc can be opened at a decrypted content level for WUP installer to see the app and h3 files.
Currently, it's dumping the disc in WUD format, or in decrypted file format (ftpii or wup server).
I don't know if the intermediate level can be achieved using nintendo's FS.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this let me backup my Wii U game copies as disc images for backup purposes on my PC? Like does it make a 1:1 copy?
Yes, you get a block for block image of the disc. You can extract everything from that image that you'd need to install the game, but you can't write the image to another disc that would be playable on the WiiU.

Dopy25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read the whole thread and I still don't know whether or not this works on an unmodified FW. Can I rip the disc, extract to .app files and get the disc ticket, then install using wup installer all on the WiiU without custom FW or rednand? All with the 2 (3) apps provided here? On on the wiiU, one on PC? Then install to USB on WiiU.

I swear, not trying to troll and I really did read all 16 pages.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, you can do all this without a custom firmware.

The custom firmware (which is in fact signature patching and region patching) is used only for games tied to another console (eShop you didn't bought, DLC you didn't bought) or games from another region.
The custom firmware allows launching of homebrew more easily, using an installed application instead of running the browser hack every time you want to patch your console's kernel to launch homebrew.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Dopy25

kshank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read the whole thread and I still don't know whether or not this works on an unmodified FW. Can I rip the disc, extract to .app files and get the disc ticket, then install using wup installer all on the WiiU without custom FW or rednand? All with the 2 (3) apps provided here? On on the wiiU, one on PC? Then install to USB on WiiU.

I swear, not trying to troll and I really did read all 16 pages.

This is exactly what I have been using the program for. I have no interest in eShop or DLC I did not purchase.

1) extract disc using wudump
2) convert files using wud2app
3) install using wupinstaller

The only time I put a Wii U disc in my console anymore is to perform this process. I love having all of my games on my external HDD.

*additional note*
If you have official updates, DLC, or game saves on the system memory. You can transfer these to the external HDD before installing with wupinstaller. wupinstaller does not overwrite these items. However, if you transfer these items to the external HDD AFTER installing the game with wupinstaller, the game install will be erased from the HDD by the console. I learned the hard way but I simply had to reinstall the game to restore it.

Last edited by kshank,

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am horrible at using cmd. Can someone maybe make this dummy proof for me plz? All I get is "The syntax of the command is incorrect"

DARKFiB3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks FIX94, and thanks to everybody else for the info so far.

I have dumped Mario Kart, merged the files, and used Uwizard to extract the game files.

These files work fine with Loadiine, but there are still a few things I am yet to understand.

How do I update the game?
How do I access my DLC?
How do I transfer my saves?

I used saviine to grab my saves (80000001 / common), which I copied to my SD card... H:\wiiu\saves\Mario Kart 8 [AMKP01]

But the game looks like it's never been played.

I've tried changing the save mode in Loadiine (Shared, Unique)

I have also tried my saves with a scene release (ABSTRAKT), and a Loadiine ready P2P dump, but still no joy. :(

When I dump with ddd, it seems to get the updated game files, and I also get a save folder and the DLC aoc0005000c1010ed00 folder.

This seems great, just what I am after, but the game doesn't actually work at all when dumped with ddd (black screen)

Hope somebody can help.

Last edited by DARKFiB3R,

Belickade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If using a USB HDD as the destination for wudump, does the drive need to be formatted a specific way and/or plugged into a specific USB port? I've tried FAT32 (MBR, 64 and 32 cluster size) but the program won't go past "Inserted name of game". It works fine if I use an SD card, but not USB.

Last edited by Belickade,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If using a USB HDD as the destination for wudump, does the drive need to be formatted a specific way and/or plugged into a specific USB port? I've tried FAT32 (MBR, 64 and 32 cluster size) but the program won't go past "Inserted name of game". It works fine if I use an SD card, but not USB.
FAT32 - default cluster size worked on my 32GB flash drive and my hard drive. Make sure that disk management on the PC doesn't show any other partitions on the disc. And if you normally have a WiiU USB drive attached, boot up without it. (I haven't messed with the order of the drives to see if you can get away with having it connected if the WiiU drive is not the first USB drive.) Be careful there though - the WiiU likes to forget icon locations when you switch between drives.

Lordbarker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The join command works fine until part 12 when I get this: 'The system cannot find message text for message number 0x2336in the message file for Application.' Any ideas how to fix this?

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The join command works fine until part 12 when I get this: 'The system cannot find message text for message number 0x2336in the message file for Application.' Any ideas how to fix this?
Message 0x2336 is: x file(s) copied. That's what you want, so there's nothing wrong with the copy (as long as the number was 1, which you can't tell), but the message should be readable.

You're getting the message in hex because your copy of windows can't find the message file (cmd.exe.mui) that matches your cmd.exe in your language. See if you get messages for other cmd.exe errors. In other words, type humptydumpty at the prompt and hit enter. See if it tells you that humptydumpty is not recognized as a command, or a 0x2331 message. A 2331 confirms that it's not just the 2336 message that's missing.

If you did something unusual to open the command prompt, other than starting it from the start menu, try running cmd.exe from %systemroot$\system32\cmd.exe and see what humptydumpty gives you.

If that doesn't help, you should ask for help on a Windows forum, because you're talking about a PC issue, not a WiiU one.

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have two Wii U's, both running CBHC 1.6 and wudump 1.5. I dumped nearly all of my games with no problem then suddenly they both started having problems dumping games.

Wii U 1: Will dump the keys and then lock up (freezes after Disc Key dumped!).

Wii U 2: Will dump 6-13% and then lock up.

Is there some sort of cache file I can clean up that might fix this? I'm confident it's not the games as I can replicate this with games I have already dumped.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have two Wii U's, both running CBHC 1.6 and wudump 1.5. I dumped nearly all of my games with no problem then suddenly they both started having problems dumping games.

Wii U 1: Will dump the keys and then lock up (freezes after Disc Key dumped!).

Wii U 2: Will dump 6-13% and then lock up.

Is there some sort of cache file I can clean up that might fix this? I'm confident it's not the games as I can replicate this with games I have already dumped.
  • Check that you have more than 23GB of free space on the destination device.
  • Delete the directory of the crashed dump, i.e. /wudump/productnumber
  • Leave the WiiU off overnight if you've been doing a lot of ripping.
  • Use another destination device.
  • If you have no other devices available, put the one you've been using in your PC and scan it for errors.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Thanks @FIX94 you are really great. I have used your tools since you took over Wiiflow and have enjoyed a lot of them. I have successfully dumped one game but another one failed at 48% even though there is enough free space on my USB stick. I guess it is just the disk (Epic Mickey 2) that is bad. I will try with another one later.

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Unfortunately, I think you are right. The game plays fine from the disc. wudump just does not like it. I am having the same issue with Wind Waker HD (except it hangs at 9%).

I was able to dump many other titles though.
If it there an error while reading a sector, it just try again and again until it succeed. So if there is a bad sector it just hangs forever.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my first time using this it says

please insert the disc you want to dump now to begin
Inserted WUP-P-ASNE
Common Key dumped!
Disc Key dumped!
Disabled Auto Power-down.

It's been stuck there for several minutes. Is this normal to happen while it's dumping or is it froze? Just figured I'd ask instead of sitting here for nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended