Hacking Would you ever recommend Gateway's Time Machine a9lh install?

Would you ever recommend Gateway Time Machine over community methods?

• Yes

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 121 96.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

Nope, making it so I need the red card to boot? Screw that, Plailect's guide is great and works a treat now, and is even simpler than before

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, is there any way to go from an A9LH install with "GW red card mandatory" to a standard install that doesn't require GW card?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't harbor any animosity towards Gateway as a company but as such, their software is bugged to hell and back and seems to cause more problems than it fixes. It's normal for businesses to "jump the gun" then deal with the outcome after the fact but it doesn't make newcomers want to try their products when they are over zealous with their releases without proper testing to keep up with the community or vice versa. Rushing never helps anything unless you're TRYING to identify bugs. They need to extend their beta tests on new releases for their products. Period.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
... GWTM A9LH has a 100% of bricking N3DS's
I did it on my n3ds and it worked perfectly fine (I reverted to an old nand dump and use community A9LH now, but I tested it out and it works fine with n3ds). It just marries your 3ds to a gateway red card, and it's just not cricket.

Actually, is there any way to go from an A9LH install with "GW red card mandatory" to a standard install that doesn't require GW card?
Restore an old nand dump and proceed with plailect's guide.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No I mean to go from an A9LH install with "GW red card mandatory" to a standard A9LH install, ofc without re-doing everything..
If you have your OTP I believe you can just install regular A9LH, else you need to restore an old nand dump and redo it. But I'm not sure whether it may brick from being gateway, I've not heard of anybody saying they did it.

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, current methods are way tidier and less of a risk. Only good part about Gateway is the cheats, in my opinion. Now if you'll excuse me.

*busts out popcorn*

*spams f5*

*waits for the people who think Gateway is the best to come in*

Sent from my Browser on a New 3DS XL with A9LH

Reactions: Swiftloke

Atro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It occurred to me that Gateway's a9lh install could've probably simplified the a9lh install process. Their tools are automated, so you could probably just simply install their a9lh for an easy way to get your OTP, then remove it by restoring a NAND backup through their menu. All of which could be done without a Gateway card of course.

Too bad the new guide with CTRNAND Transfer is infinitely easier now.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The initial release of GW A9LH installation DID have 100% brick rate on o3ds because they didn't properly modify the 2.1 o3ds files to work on n3ds. It may be different now, but people aren't saying it when it never happened, because it did happen.
For now, their tools are far too brick prone. I wouldn't say they brick as often as people like to believe, but I do believe they are more prone to bricking than the community tools.
Along with that, the GW A9LH marries your console to Gateway, which is just stupid as there are so many tools that can boot on the community A9LH that GW A9LH simply doesn't have an equivalent for.
And to add to that, even Gateway themselves say you shouldn't use it unless you have a hardmod to recover. Why? Because the software is still beta, meaning it still isn't fully tested.
Plus Gateway's CFW does not have FIRM write protection, meaning sysNAND should not be used due to the fact that if you accidentally update you will lose A9LH.
At this point I would never suggest GW A9LH to anyone, especially when you can boot gateway from the community A9LH anyway. Until they can offer anything even close to what the community tools offer, I would just stick with community A9LH and then loading gateway with that if you want to use gateway's CFW.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The Gateway implementation is also simply unnecessary because Plailet's method is now much simpler than it was before.

I understand people want to keep using their Gateway card - I have one myself that I bough long before free CFW became available and thus still use the card for games. But it's perfectly possible to use something like Luma as your primary CFW and still keep your Gateway. Luma has the advantage of things like FIRM protection and various patches.

Atro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The initial release of GW A9LH installation DID have 100% brick rate on o3ds because they didn't properly modify the 2.1 o3ds files to work on n3ds. It may be different now, but people aren't saying it when it never happened, because it did happen.
For now, their tools are far too brick prone. I wouldn't say they brick as often as people like to believe, but I do believe they are more prone to bricking than the community tools.
Along with that, the GW A9LH marries your console to Gateway, which is just stupid as there are so many tools that can boot on the community A9LH that GW A9LH simply doesn't have an equivalent for.
And to add to that, even Gateway themselves say you shouldn't use it unless you have a hardmod to recover. Why? Because the software is still beta, meaning it still isn't fully tested.
Plus Gateway's CFW does not have FIRM write protection, meaning sysNAND should not be used due to the fact that if you accidentally update you will lose A9LH.
At this point I would never suggest GW A9LH to anyone, especially when you can boot gateway from the community A9LH anyway. Until they can offer anything even close to what the community tools offer, I would just stick with community A9LH and then loading gateway with that if you want to use gateway's CFW.
Well, if you were talking to me-
I said their installation of a9lh in general was faster and simpler, had it been more polished, everyone could've used it to retrieve their otp.bin faster than community's tools, then restore a backup to get rid of Gateway's a9lh. Simple.

Also it wasn't the o3ds that had 100% brick rate. It was n3ds because they forgot to unbrick emuNAND before cloning it to sysNAND.

Despite all this, however, like I've previously said with the new update to plailect's guide, any edge Gateway possibly had is now gone.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you were talking to me-
I said their installation of a9lh in general was faster and simpler, had it been more polished, everyone could've used it to retrieve their otp.bin faster than community's tools, then restore a backup to get rid of Gateway's a9lh. Simple.

Also it wasn't the o3ds that had 100% brick rate. It was n3ds because they forgot to unbrick emuNAND before cloning it to sysNAND.

Despite all this, however, like I've previously said with the new update to plailect's guide, any edge Gateway possibly had is now gone.
My message was not meant for you. And I did mean n3ds bricked with the initial release of time machine. I just somehow managed to accidentally type o3ds.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

nedron92

Trophies
Website
www.github.com
XP
Country
Germany
I own a gateway but prefer plailect' guide to get a9lh installed. I done it with six 3DS's (1 of them with the new guide). All went smooth and perfectly without any problems. And you are not need to use your gateway card alwys..can simply start your 3DS like normal, that's the big +-Point.
But you can launch your gateway without problems after that - thanks to lumas payloading.
So combine all benefits you have. (I love my gateway, cause I have all my orig dumps there and don't need them install to the system or take the game-card with me...very nice-to-have :) )

Also, as a dev, I have to say that Gateways Implementation is buggy and shitty..so use community-open-source ones, more tested and with less failures/bugs. Better for you, your nerves and your 3DS-System.

Last edited by nedron92,

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use gateway but as a dev (not 3ds dev quite yet, but dev), I am telling everyone to just use the free and open source methods. Safer and truly tested.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
buy a gateway if you want to play .3ds roms or to use the cheatengine. buttt................................................. never install GW A9LH or your 3ds is bound on GW and you can only use this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.