Would the rice trick work on Wii U gamepad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Noctosphere, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Noctosphere
    OP

Member Noctosphere husky master

Canada
    So, my mom caught me yesterday watching Plex on my Wii U gamepad in my bath (she didnt caugth me in my bath, she caugth me when i got out, ofc) SHE PANICKED!!!
    that thing cost 350$, what if you drop it in the water? she told me.
    So I just want to know, if EVER I was to drop it in water, would the rice trick work on the wii u gamepad?
    You know, the trick to put an electronic device dropped in water in a lot of rice, and it will work again...
    I dont ask you to try, just wanna know if it might work. I know it works on cellphone, but those are slim, and the wii u gamepad is very thick, so I wonder if the trick will work on chips deep in the pad...
    anyway, tell me if you think it would work or not, just to tell my mom if it does, or not

2. Felek666

Newcomer Felek666 Member

Poland
    Well... Drop it in water and bye-bye Gamepad. Unsure if Wii U Gamepad would even work after it was 'attacked' by water. I mean it might work but buttons would stop working. (Unsure about touchscreen)

3. Boogieboo6

Member Boogieboo6 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Every time my sister uses her phone in the bath, she puts it in a sandwich bag. Maybe you could try putting the gamepad in a freezer bag?

wormdood likes this.
  4. Issac

Global Moderator Issac oh!

Sweden
    The rice trick only sucks up some moisture, it's nothing magical about it. It mostly works if a turned off device got wet, and you need to make it completely dry before turning it on.

If you drop a Wii U gamepad into water while using it, you would most likely short circuit it. Then there's a risk that some fuses will blow (become over charged). No rice would fix that.

Put it in a zip-lock bag, get some sort of tray for the bath tub... don't rely on rice.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    just relax and enjoy your bath without a technology near it?
    ok, that's not what most young people want, being more than 1 meter away from technology seems scary.

VinsCool likes this.
  6. H1B1Esquire

Member H1B1Esquire Uri Geller, I need lotto numbers.

United States
    @'Issac is right, your gamepad wouldn't be fixed with rice. Even if you got reaaaaaaallllly lucky, the colors on the screen would be ruined/inverted in most places. And even if none of that occurred, you'd cut the life of the gamepad severely.