Homebrew Would an OpenRCT2 port be possible for the (n)3DS?

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would an OpenRCT2 port be possible for the (n)3DS?
I'm really starting to enjoy this game, and even my shitty laptop from 2007 can run it at full speed.
I'd like to see the game somehow playable on the 3DS or N3DS (because it has a faster processor and a c-stick, which would be good for camera controls).
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

daandw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm really starting to enjoy this game, and even my shitty laptop from 2007 can run it at full speed.
lol what screen resolution do you use? 64x64? sometimes it lags badly on my pretty good pc from 2013

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
It would probably be able to run the game at an OK framerate. There was a thread at one point on gbatemp from a guy claiming to be making such a port, and he seemed to have it pretty functional. But it was never heard from again... So I don't know if it was fake or if the guy just stopped working on it and decided it wasn't finished enough for release or something.

EDIT: Did some digging. The project was fake but it doesn't mean it's not possible.
A first step for anyone who might want to port this is to see if SDL2 has been ported to the 3DS yet.

Edit EDIT:
https://github.com/xerpi/SDL-3DS There you go a SDL2 port for the 3DS. Now get going already XD (Don't know if all the rendering code etc. is completely separate from the original binary yet otherwise it would basically be impossible anyways but oh well)

Last edited by MRJPGames,
Reactions: BlastedGuy9905

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see the game somehow playable on the 3DS or N3DS (because it has a faster processor and a c-stick, which would be good for camera controls).
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Doesn't it require for the real RCT2 to be installed first? Then no. Unless you ported both.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Was about to say that. I was bothered by that, but if it only needs the assets, it should be possible :D
The original RCT games are written entirely in assembly. OpenRCT2 is a total C++/Obj-C rewrite, which makes it a bit easier to make it multiplatform.

Last edited by Joom,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1