Hacking Worth updating to 5.1.1 from 4.1.0?

yahoo

G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In light of the browser exploit being ported to support 5.1.0, I'm considering it is okay to update my WiiU, but is there any real reason to? I've read the changelog from nintendo[1] and I'm not sold. Does anyone, from experience, have any input on whether they like the new features?

[1]: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3070/p/431

As an aside, I also found this paragraph on this nintendo page to be rather funny:
MPORTANT: After the Wii U system is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system may be removed. Failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.

D

Deleted User

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to. The browser exploit works still. All your getting is minor improvements but you shouldn't not want to update, thats kinda dumb lol

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because on 5.0.1 the kernel has been updated I believe, thus perhaps rendering it impossible for the team working on it to get more access.

Is there a way to fool / redirect the Wii U to your own server and get a update from there?
Some way to replace the 5.0.1 files with the 5.0.0 update.

I'm on 2.1.0E and since I yet cannot block updates with my router (Gonna use a Raspberry Pi for that) I'm sticking with that for now.

yahoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because on 5.0.1 the kernel has been updated I believe...

Actually, I forgot about that; I will not update. Crediar did make it clear that the browser exploit still works, but not sure about the PPC kernel, the files of which were in fact updated:

Don't put words in my mouth.
All I said was that the browser wasn't updated!

5.1.0 updates "OSv11" which includes the PPC kernel and all the SDK libs, there is a chance they fixed exploits in the kernel, who knows ...

yahoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have read it. The quote you provided is only talking about the browser exploit to run unsigned code in user space. Marionumber1 and NWPlayer123 don't have a kernel exploit yet, so they can't speak to whether or not the kernel exploit that Chadderz is holding still works in 5.1.0.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't update. 5.1 has no advantages over 4.1. Besides we know that a kernel exploit exists in 4.1. We still don't know if it exists in 5.1

yahoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea this thread is moot now that updating to 5.1.0 isn't an option anymore and the current update 5.1.1 breaks the browser exploit...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?