Hardware With Nintendo Switch coming, what about the fate of the 3ds

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And where did you get that number from? It also has to depend from system to system.
A console costs about 10+ billion to develop, plus manufacturing costs for each console. Add $0.5-2b for advertising.
$300*20m=$6b. Assuming 25% profit = $1.5b
Assuming an average person buys 2 first party games and 3 third party:
$180*20m=$3.6b
Assuming 35% buy a lot more games:
$200*7m=$1.4b
Total: $6.5b.
Ok, break even is closer to 30m total units sold.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A console costs about 10+ billion to develop, plus manufacturing costs for each console. Add $0.5-2b for advertising.
$300*20m=$6b. Assuming 25% profit = $1.5b
Assuming an average person buys 2 first party games and 3 third party:
$180*20m=$3.6b
Assuming 35% buy a lot more games:
$200*7m=$1.4b
Total: $6.5b.
Ok, break even is closer to 30m total units sold.
A console does not cost 10 billion to develop. That number would also fluctuate wildly between consoles. what the fuck are you even thinking. Plus that's some extremely shoddy math.

Last edited by dimmidice,

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, it's called estimation, but there's nothing wrong with the math.
There is a problem with the assumptions you're making however. You're just literally pulling figures out of your behind to be honest. It's really not an estimate at all. You're assuming 10billion, you're assuming 25% for profit, you're assuming 35% buys more games. All of these things make it so the entire thing is entirely and utterly pointless.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't read the other responses in this thread so somebody else might already have offered this suggestion. I'll say it anyway just in case.

I personally don't think Nintendo will kill off their handheld line in favour of the Switch. The Switch is not as portable as the current lineup, and I would argue is also less robust (exposed screen, thin and relatively large for easier snapping...) Also, some people who could not afford a home console could possibly afford a cheaper handheld. Furthermore, moving to just one hybrid console would considerably reduce Nintendo's profits; currently, they make money from selling both mobile and home console games, but a hybrid-only model would mean only one sale. I even have several games on both Wii[ U ] and 3DS, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who does this.

For these reasons I really think it would be a bad idea for Nintendo to completely stop any handheld line. I suspect that after Switch is released, we'll get an announcement of a new handheld lineup.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read the other responses in this thread so somebody else might already have offered this suggestion. I'll say it anyway just in case.

I personally don't think Nintendo will kill off their handheld line in favour of the Switch. The Switch is not as portable as the current lineup, and I would argue is also less robust (exposed screen, thin and relatively large for easier snapping...) Also, some people who could not afford a home console could possibly afford a cheaper handheld. Furthermore, moving to just one hybrid console would considerably reduce Nintendo's profits; currently, they make money from selling both mobile and home console games, but a hybrid-only model would mean only one sale. I even have several games on both Wii[ U ] and 3DS, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who does this.

For these reasons I really think it would be a bad idea for Nintendo to completely stop any handheld line. I suspect that after Switch is released, we'll get an announcement of a new handheld lineup.
I'm not sure pocketability is enough to warrant another portable. People seem to like bigger screens more. That why the XL was selling more and phones have gotten bigger. Yes, it is more vulnerable, but so are phones and tablets and people still use those. Having another handheld would split up the development again for Nintendo and devs, which they are trying to avoid with the Switch in the first place. If this can successfully bring console and handheld devs and players into one device, they wouldn't be losing any profits. The only real thing is the price, but Nintendo can eventually make that cheaper as time goes on.

Like it said in another thread, I can see different Switch form factors rather than a completely separated handheld device.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dual screen of the 3DS is too unique to kill off. There's also the size difference between the Switch and 3DS, I wouldn't want to walk around with the Switch in my pocket, if it fits in there.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
vlprmXx.jpg

There you go, no need for a second screen if you can do that.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
That's a big if though.
I know, but is the only thing we can do until Ninty release more details.
It would be cool though, but I think is unnecessary. Everybody and their dogs, cats, hamsters and iguanas have a device from the DS or 3DS family and is not like Nintendo earn any money from DS software anymore, 3DS could be more feasible but again everyone interested already have a 3DS to play those games.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: