Wireless laptop question

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With a new laptop, I've been spending a while messing about with it. Then it occured to me that it doesn't have internet connection. With increasing use of wireless internet, I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon as well. My only question is, should I get the wireless adapter that plugs into the USB or the wireless card that's designed for laptops?

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah it's pretty hard to find a laptop nowadays that doesn't have wifi built in. My new Toshiba is awesome and has almost everything built in...in fact I had it a week before I realised it even had a SD card reader!! (Useful since I got an EZ4 lite
yaynds.gif
)

Anyways, I would definitely say to avoid the usb adaptor since it really sticks out and is easy to damage, the PCMCIA adapter might cost a little bit more, but it's definitely worth the extra money.

If you haven't already got a wireless router, PCWorld (UK) have a sale on the Linksys 54g router that comes with the PCMCIA card for £39 (ie half price!) The sale ends on Tuesday though.

I just bought a belkin wireless router a few weeks ago from PCWorld and it cost £45! (No adapter, just the router :'( )

Ps - just saw the post that you got your notebook for £30...that's a SERIOUS bargain!!!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just my opinion but a PCMCIA slot card works far nicer for me: I have countless power hungry USB devices (scanner, printer, camera, controller, flash cart, hdd, mouse......) but no real need for PCMCIA cards (wireless card aside only a few video things are of any interest).

Provided you look around a bit you can get both for around the same price, oh and make sure to pick up at least an 802.11g card (anything higher and you run te risk of it not being future proof, lower and you may not be able to take full advantage of a network which sucks for games).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey