Hardware Wireless GameCube (Wii U Pro) controller Kickstarter

mutinize

dazed and confused
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw some replies from members wanting a wireless GameCube controller with rumble. Here ya' go.

f9270cb2c8fdaccdaec59f08473874ef_large.gif
8a60b4c4e17ce0bb71c3fbca0fd3002e_large.JPG

Taken from their Kickstarter page:
  • Gone is the Right analog stick of old, replaced with a full size analog stick for better comfort and control.
  • Each controller will have a USB rechargeable battery inside.
  • Dual "Z" Bumpers. (Note: The new Pro Controller for the WiiU labels the BOTTOM triggers ZR and ZL, while the Bumpers are R and L. We will follow this naming convention as well.)
  • Larger D-Pad for classic control.
  • "Clickable" L/R Analog sticks.
  • This controller will function exactly as 1st/3rd party controllers for the WiiU do now. No Wiimote or adapter needed.

Rumble is only mentioned in their update notes:
As for rumble, that is not a 'last gen' feature. It is important to us and will be inside the controller. We are still working on what exact motor we want to use, but force feedback will be built into each WaveDash.

The model is just a shell they whipped up for the Kickstarter page. I find the display unit a little lacking but it's in the alpha stage so I'm not really sure what I was expecting. Essentially it will work as a Wii U Pro controller, just in the shape of a GameCube controller. If I'm understanding correctly then any game that supports the Pro will also support this. I hope to see it released. I hate chords.
and no I am not a shill

Then again, 3rd party controllers are well known for having issues. I'm not sure why Nintendo doesn't see the large market opportunity and make it themselves. Or maybe they do and they're holding out for an announcement... Who knows. It's a damn fine idea though.

mutinize

dazed and confused
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some nitpicks:
  • Looks ugly
  • If it's a competitive smash controller, it shouldn't have rumble.
  • Wireless may have latency
Some rebuttals:
  • "Paint / Finish will be improved immensely. This is our first alpha Prototype."
  • Rumble can be turned off via controller settings
  • It's not for competitive smash I hope
Though I agree on all fronts. I would imagine it being useful for games that the GameCube adapter does not support.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
There should be an switch to switch to "wavebird" mode for compatibility with wavebird adapters and more battery life, and then "bluetooth" mode for Wii U pro compatibility
Also the controller looks ugly but it's a prototype right?

mutinize

dazed and confused
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also the controller looks ugly but it's a prototype right?

Yeah. I'm thinking they didn't want to make a proper build without funding. I wouldn't mind picking one of these up if it becomes a reliable controller. Apparently they hope to make PC drivers as well.

This controller represents the near final build of the shell. Details may change slightly, but we are pleased with the feel we have achieved.

Paint / Finish will be improved immensely. This is our first alpha Prototype. Our Beta prototype will mirror the look and feel of what our final product will be.

TheWaveDash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback guys.

We are still really excited for the project and taking in everything that is said, but yes the final controller will look a lot better then this one. We were under a time crunch with E3 and needing to shoot the Video.

As for the adapter, as you guys know currently the WiiU USB ports only work for charging. Its strange to us that there are two male usb connections from that adapter. Maybe Nintendo can't update the ports and is still doing everything wirelessly? We shall see in the coming months for sure.

We have partnered with a few of the best smash players publicly now ( Mew2King and Armada) and we are dedicated to making this the best controller for both markets of players.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the feedback guys.

We are still really excited for the project and taking in everything that is said, but yes the final controller will look a lot better then this one. We were under a time crunch with E3 and needing to shoot the Video.

This controller will have a analog range that's based on a Wii U Pro Controller, or based on a CC ? ...cause that's kinda important, since GC and CC have inferior ranges
The classic controller pro functions the same as the original classic controller except it doesn't have analog L and R triggers.
Both of them have the same terrible stick sensitivity - the L stick ranges from 0 to 63 and the R stick ranges from 0 to 31 (and they are never calibrated properly). In contrast, the gamecube sticks and PS1/2/3 controllers all range from 0 to 255 and the wiiu pro sticks range from 0 to 4095.

...asking since you said it would have analog triggers, so I thought it could be somewhat based on a CC...

TheWaveDash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: whoops sorry thought you were talking about the analog triggers.

No same analog sticks (and range) as the WiiU. We wanted to make a controller that had the feel of the GC but non of the draw backs.

Reactions: Walker D

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm REALLY loving this! I didn't want to get an actual PRO controller, and the Gamecube controller maybe my favorite controller of all time. :P Can't wait to get mine on December or whatever the estimated delivery is!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I like the idea very much but seeing that Nintendo's coming up with their own line of Wii U GameCube controllers I'm gonna go with theirs as not only do they have variety of colours, it is wired and it's an official product by Nintendo.

There's always that worriness about third party accessories if they'll work properly for the Wii U games and Wii games, so since it's being made by Nintendo I won't need to worry. But the Wii Mode hasn't been confirmed yet, though I expect it to work.

Yoshi's Wii U NGC controller looks pretty damn awesome:

vdij4to9uilmfhvioc3i.jpg

vfkkhrkwkjjnzqjnrify.jpg

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I like the idea very much but seeing that Nintendo's coming up with their own line of Wii U GameCube controllers I'm gonna go with theirs as not only do they have variety of colours, it is wired and it's an official product by Nintendo.

There's always that worriness about third party accessories if they'll work properly for the Wii U games and Wii games, so since it's being made by Nintendo I won't need to worry. But the Wii Mode hasn't been confirmed yet, though I expect it to work.

vdij4to9uilmfhvioc3i.jpg

vfkkhrkwkjjnzqjnrify.jpg
That's not actually a wired controller, it's connected to a wiimote using a wire.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well, they're going to have the Wii U GameCube adapter so they can be connected to it, I think. Doesn't make sense to have these connected to a Wiimote when they'll be releasing an NGC Wii U adapter too.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

vdij4to9uilmfhvioc3i.jpg

vfkkhrkwkjjnzqjnrify.jpg
These aren't official, they're made by PDP.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
International shipping at $25 seems a bit steep. Also the $400k is quite a bit more for something that isn't essentially creating something completely new (design and interface already made by Nintendo).

Good luck with the project in any case!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)