[WIP] The Fourth Dimension: A Super Mario 3D land level editor

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by exelix11, Apr 24, 2016.

1. exelix11
    OP

exelix11 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    C:\users\exelix11\
    no that's a setting for the tools to create the bcmdl, do the textures show up in creativeStudio ?

2. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Yeah, they do. Also, my NW4C tools are Japanese, not sure if everyone else' copy is English or not but yeah navigating is a bit weird.

3. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    I never got this problem,do the textures show up in efe ?
    the tools i have are in English, maybe you have some older version that doesn't support textures in the 3d land format, try getting another copy.

Psi-hate likes this.
  4. Psi-hate

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    upload_2017-10-6_15-58-34.png

The textures are showing up in EFE, CreativeStudio, etc. I believe I have the lighting done right, I created the light and exported to bcmdl, although the issue persists with the lack of proper lighting showing up in-game.

upload_2017-10-6_16-2-41.png

5. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    I don't think you should be showing that picture, anyways, in my models I don't have the lights and the .MaterialLutset file.

Edit: i checked, that file appears if you do the fragment lighting thing wrong, so you must do:
    open Windows -> Rendering editors -> Hypershade, in the materials tab select with the mouse EVERY MATERIAL. Now, without loosing the selection open NW4C -> set material attribute and deselect Fragment Lighting and press close. Now you can export the model

(also, i don't have a 3ds right now, could you try deleting the lights and the MaterialLutset file and importing in the game ? Maybe it will work, and it would be much easier to explain than the fragment lighting)

Last edited by exelix11, Oct 7, 2017
    Psi-hate likes this.
  6. Psi-hate

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Ah, sorry about all the trouble. I'll try that method out right now.

Edit: Success! Thanks a lot for the help @exelix11 ! I shouldn't have anymore problems. Sorry for the hassle, but I'm really glad you spent time correcting me when I was having a lot of issues.
    Now I can create SM3DL mods!

upload_2017-10-7_10-52-9.png

Last edited by Psi-hate, Oct 7, 2017
    exelix11 likes this.
  7. Psi-hate

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston

Thanks @exelix11 for the help, and thanks @mustafag32g for the shading tutorial (although I didn't manually shade haha)
    I'll go ahead and begin making a proper mod now that I have mostly everything I need down (I hope). Anyone that wants to join in, hit me up.

Also, I provided a link to the zip containing a patch for the CCNT and the object szs & stage szs. I think that's how you legally share custom levels, so here ya go.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Psi-hate, Oct 8, 2017
  8. firegodjr

firegodjr Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2016
    United States
    Hi! Sorry to bother you, but I've run into an issue with the latest version.

While I've enjoyed editing existing levels, I decided to try and create one from scratch with the latest release. For whatever reason, creating one from scratch causes the game to crash upon touching a camera area. Said camera area has the proper camera params, generated using the editor. It has default attributes.

I've attached the crashing level. It contains Mario, a block, and the camera area surrounding Mario. Moving the camera area away from Mario allows the level to load, but jumping into it will cause an instant crash.

Are there any prerequisites that I'm missing?

Attached Files:

9. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    In CameraParam.byml you set StereovisionDepth to 4, set it to 0,4 and it will work.
    I never experimented with this value, in most official levels it's set to 0,4 which is what the editor uses when creating new CameraParams.
    I suppose that its range is 0 to 1.

firegodjr likes this.
  10. firegodjr

firegodjr Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2016
    United States
    I'm leaving home now, so I don't have time at the moment to fully test it out, but thanks! I'll try setting it to 0.4 once I get back home.

I was, however, able to determine that the editor sets that value to "4" by default upon creating the level. Probably just a typo somewhere. ;P

11. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    it doesn't, just checked, you probably changed it by mistake.
    I never messed with that value so it's unlikely that's set on 4 by default.

12. firegodjr

firegodjr Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2016
    United States
    That's really strange. Where does it get that value? It's consistently 4 for me.
    Here's a recording of me making a new level:
    depthissue.gif

13. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    If i do the same thing on my pc it shows 0,4.
    I think is a culture issue, when parsing strings .net framework uses the culture settings as a reference.
    try to set the correct value, save and then open again, is the file the decimal value shown with a dot or a comma (0,4 or 0.4) ? on my pc it's shown with a comma, and if I input it with a dot it gets ignored and the value is set to 4. The hardcoded byml template uses a comma, if this is the issue i can fix it easily.

14. firegodjr

firegodjr Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2016
    United States
    Mine is shown with a dot. "0.4".

Sorry for causing problems with my filthy American computer :0

But in all seriousness, thanks for the help!

15. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    You're welcome, in the next days i'll push an update to fix parsing.

EDIT: btw it's my comuter wrong since those are called floating POINT numbers

16. Dan-the-Rebirth

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    Hey I really hope we will soon see some full mods for this great game. What I saw here looks really promising

17. Sinon

Sinon The Wolf Girl

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    Last edited by Sinon, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:29 PM