[WIP] Puyo Puyo Tetris - English Translation for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ongo_gablogian, Jul 20, 2016.

1. ongo_gablogian
    OP

ongo_gablogian GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    United States
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone! Recently I've been working on a translation patch for Puyo Puyo Tetris. My original goal was to translate some of the basic menu text and graphic and using a few resources online, I've managed to translate a decent amount of the game. Enough is done where I think a somewhat full translation could be possible, unfortunately I've gotten to the point where I don't think I'll be able to proceed much further without outside help.

Right now I mainly need some help with translating various graphics as I don't know Japanese. So if anyone want's to lend a hand with the project, please let me know.

Some top priorities as of now:
    • Figuring out the COMP file problems. Some graphical text remains unchanged after being edited, issue seems to be caused by these files.
    • Editing the CIA banner. If anyone has any experience with blender or other programs used to edit .obj files, let me know.

What has been translated so far:
    • Title Screen
    • Main Menu
    • Adventure mode text
    • Solo Arcade menus
    • Challenge mode menus
    • Character Select screen
    • Most of the pre-game/pause menu text
    • Most of the Multiplayer Arcade text
    • Most of the "My Data" menus
    • Lessons

This is a general list of what's left to be translated:
    • Adventure Mode graphical text
    Some screenshots and a link to the latest version of the translation can be found below. Also please report any glitches or errors you may notice. Included are LayeredFS plugins for both the original game and the v1.1 update as well as a "fixed" banner.bin.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English Translation v0.3b

CHANGELOG:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

CREDITS
    - @Nagato for his work on "CTPK Tool". Without it this project wouldn't exist.
    -@DarkSynopsis for figuring out how to edit the non-graphical text (as well as translating almost all of it).
    - @sj33 & @Zander1995 for helping with some of the translations.
    - All the homebrew devs that've have made translations and ROM hacks possible.
    - Last but not least SEGA. Please go buy the official English localization on PS4 or Switch.

If you are looking for the Wii U translation, it can be found here.

Last edited by ongo_gablogian, Jun 7, 2017

2. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
  3. ongo_gablogian
    OP

Mar 26, 2010
    United States
    Replacing the text is no problem, the issue I'm having is figuring what it means in english. I'm hoping someone who speaks japanese will want to help out with the translation.

4. ongo_gablogian
    OP

Mar 26, 2010
    United States
    Small update:

For the time being, I figured out how to "fix" the Japanese banner so it works in all regions. That being said I still would really appreciate some assistance in making a translated version. I was able to extract and edit the png in the .bcmdl, but at the moment I have no way of importing the files as EFE is unable to save the file and Ohana hasn't been working with my PC.
    If anyone could help with that I've uploaded the modified files here.

Also I'm still looking for some people to help with the translation, so if you're interested in joining up please let me know.

[​IMG]

5. MyLegGuy

MyLegGuy Moron

Nov 26, 2014
    United States
    Are you trying to make a super accurate translation?

If not, you could probably just guess what most of these things mean.
    For example, this shows up after you choose a character.
    [​IMG]
    It's probably just a message telling you to select the game mode. (Puyo Puyo or Tetris)

Edit:
    Oh, I take that back. There's a lot of stuff here you can't guess.

This menu translation has a lot of stuff in it. In the
    Game Settings - VS section of the page, it has lots of stuff from GAMESETTING_CMN01_D4444 translated.

Last edited by MyLegGuy, Jul 23, 2016
  6. ongo_gablogian
    OP

Mar 26, 2010
    United States
    I was hoping it would be more accurate than not, but unless someone who speaks japanese steps in to help, I'm most likely going to have to do my best with the various online resources that are available. Puyo Nexus was actually one of the main sites I've been using as a reference, I just don't want to spend time making graphics that are incorrect.

Also I have some of those lines of text translated from the GAMESETTING_CMN01_D4444 file, but I decided to include them anyway incase I could get a more accurate translation.

MyLegGuy likes this.
  7. Timburpton

Timburpton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    Just an idea, but have you tried online OCR to get them converted into text and then plug it into translators?

8. ongo_gablogian
    OP

Mar 26, 2010
    United States
    I hadn't thought of that, thanks. I've tried a few different sites and they work pretty well for regular text, but unfortunately not so well for graphics.

UPDATE:

I just uploaded v0.2 of the translation! Included are some pretty substantial changes:

- Essentially I redid all the text thats been translated so far. I wasn't happy with how it looked and is much cleaner now.

- Thanks to @Nagato and the latest build of CTPK Tool, all of the graphical errors caused by etc1a4 encoded images should be fixed. Again this makes a ton of the graphics look much better.

- The patch now includes the "fixed" japanese banner which should work on any region (I still need help with rebuilding a .bcmdl, if anyone can help with this let me know)

- A few minor text edits and new translations.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English Translation v0.2

Last edited by ongo_gablogian, Jul 26, 2016
  9. Timburpton

Nov 18, 2014
    There's probably some commercial OCR software which you can "acquire".

Also, do you reckon there's any chance of a translated cia magically popping up on that iso site?

10. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I can't dig into the code because I know nothing about that stuff, but I'll gladly help translate any actual text that needs translating if the workload if too much.

11. ongo_gablogian
    OP

Mar 26, 2010
    United States
    I'll look into the OCR thing some more, should definitely be useful. I'm not going to upload the CIA to the voldemort site, but it's pretty easy to build one using Asia81's Hacking Toolkit.

Thanks a ton! Here's a link to some of the text I've been trying to get through at the moment.

Last edited by ongo_gablogian, Jul 26, 2016
  12. Timburpton

Nov 18, 2014
    What I did with the link right, I used the android google translate app to scan the image, it is able to detect the phrases really well. I'd expect better results from a proper OCR software.

13. neim81094

neim81094 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    I am excited for when this gets completed :)

14. neim81094

neim81094 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    I am excited for when this gets completed :)

15. Zander1995

Zander1995 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Gotta head out now but I can try getting to the others when I come home.

Kokonoe and DarkSynopsis like this.
  16. TheBroCode

TheBroCode GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Good luck! Very fun game :D

Kokonoe likes this.
  17. Zander1995

Zander1995 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Time for part 2

Kokonoe likes this.
  18. ongo_gablogian
    OP

Mar 26, 2010
    United States
    Wow! I haven't check on this thread in a while, thank you so much!. I will try and get these changes implemented asap. Also for those that are interested, I uploaded a newer version of the patch to a github repository I made back in August. The link can be found here:

Puyo Puyo Tetris Github Repo

Also sorry I haven't worked on this project in a while, work has been very overwhelming lately. If anyone would like to help out please let me know. I haven't received any bug reports or suggestions, so if you find anything that seems off or you think anything should be changed, please report it in the thread or send me a PM.

Last edited by ongo_gablogian, Oct 31, 2016
  19. TheBroCode

Oct 31, 2012
    Update hype!

I can't help with programming or translations, but I can definitely play it and let you know if I see anything amiss!

EDIT: This is my first time building a CIA so maybe I missed something, it plays fine but the update notification doesn't seem to go away even after updating - anyway to get rid of it?

Last edited by TheBroCode, Nov 4, 2016
  20. ongo_gablogian
    OP

Mar 26, 2010
    United States
    Great, I could definitely use some help with testing/feedback.

About the update, I haven't run into that issue yet, so I'm not too sure. Just make sure you've installed the correct v1.1 update CIA.

Last edited by ongo_gablogian, Nov 4, 2016
  21. TheBroCode

Oct 31, 2012
    Yup, I thought I could just update it normally via the system menu but after getting the update CIA from somewhere else it's fine now :P