Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure? Check Nintendo's update history.
Okay, I'll admit that I laughed at this.
Stability is not a feature ._.
Would you rather A) homebrew right away that crashes often, with a system that likes to freeze randomly (or bricks at random), or B) homebrew later without the freezing/crashing (and bricks)?

Reactions: Margen67

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay, I'll admit that I laughed at this.

Would you rather A) homebrew right away that crashes often, with a system that likes to freeze randomly (or bricks at random), or B) homebrew later without the freezing/crashing (and bricks)?

You didn't get my point...

You shouldn't have talked about stability in the first place because it's not a feature, it should be here by design, I was specifically talking about the features...

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's entirely possible. I assumed that you were joking but posted what I did just in case you weren't. (it was also for the other people thinking of posting "ugh stability is gaaaay. just give me the karls now" and actually meaning it.)

A wild EDIT appeared: Well, you just had that first line when I posted so it seemed kind of ambiguous. And it turns out you were arguing?
But the point was this: stability is more important than any of the features. You can have all the region changing, homebrew launching magic in the world but if it doesn't work, or causes bricks/crashes, why bother using it? And if stability is supposed to be there "by design" doesn't that make it a feature?

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You shouldn't have talked about stability in the first place because it's not a feature, it should be here by design, I was specifically talking about the features...

In terms of features, sure, homebrew launching is pretty important to some. But before the features can be worked on, the devs want to experiment and sort out any bugs they have. What feature is most important is subjective anyways lol

Artemis-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Sure, stability is expected to be there by design for, say, something one originally developed from the ground up (coincidentally enough, like homebrew), however what's being worked on here is a CFW based around an exploited entrypoint into a completely foreign firmware. So, in an application such as this, stability actually becomes a feature, because this whole thing is hinging on flaws from Nintendo's code, of which we're not able to see the source.

Reactions: TriigerHappy

Jmes1991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found a crazy vuln. Allow me to take this moment to remind people: IF YOU'RE ON SYSNAND 9.5 OR LOWER (9.6 or lower on old3ds maybe, don't chance it though) MAKE A NAND BACKUP. DO IT RIGHT NOW. You will regret not doing it in the future, otherwise.

That is all I'll say for now.

Hi WulfyStylez, this has shed some light for me since I am on firmware 9.4 on my New 3Ds XL, since it came with it. You mentioned to back up the NAND, but there is no current way for me to backup my NAND. From my understanding, the only way to back up a NAND is a hardmod O3DS or O3DSXL or through gateway (system firmwares 9.2 and below). Is it totally a requirement for me to back up my NAND for your discovered vuln to work? Backing up my NAND isn't possible because of my firmware. What are my choices?

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi WulfyStylez, this has shed some light for me since I am on firmware 9.4 on my New 3Ds XL, since it came with it. You mentioned to back up the NAND, but there is no current way for me to backup my NAND. From my understanding, the only way to back up a NAND is a hardmod O3DS or O3DSXL or through gateway (system firmwares 9.2 and below). Is it totally a requirement for me to back up my NAND for your discovered vuln to work? Backing up my NAND isn't possible because of my firmware. What are my choices?

You can get a NAND mod, which is really the only way to read/write NAND Backups. If she tells you to do it or you'll regret it, then you ought to then. :)

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
YAAAAA WAYAWAA GRAAAAAAGRRRRRRRRR
WHEN ARE THEY GONNA RELEASE!!!!!!

They need more tiems. It is around the corner.

Please understand.

Jmes1991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get a NAND mod, which is really the only way to me/write NAND Backups. If she tells you to do it or you'll regret it, then you ought to then. :)

Are there any tutorials that show how to hardmod a N3DS XL console? As far as I know there are only O3DS XL tutorials.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should lower your expectations considerably, it's highly unlikely that the exploit eluded to will be used for anything useful for you.

If Nintendo fix the vuln in 9.8/9.9 then perhaps. But it's more likely to be saved for use with later firmware revisions like 10.x/11.x

It'd foolish and shortsighted to burn an unpatched exploit on 9.x at this stage.

Reactions: Hashtastrophe

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God I hope that there's an exploit in Home Menu. KARL3DS booting at system startup would be the Holy Grail of 3DS hacking.

Well, there is and there isn't. You can get ROP under the news module (it's very specifically described on 3dbrew), but it's not really useful. News only has boss:P, cecd:s, frd:u, fs:USER, ndm:u, nim:u, and ptm:sysm. Thus you can't get code execution from gspwn, and you can't modify the chunk headers to trigger memchunkhax. It does have the SVCs necessary for memchunkhax, but that's not saying much.

It's usable in other scenarios, but those are outside of our interests since they don't cover all hardware.

Reactions: VinsCool

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Well, there is and there isn't. You can get ROP under the news module (it's very specifically described on 3dbrew), but it's not really useful. News only has boss:P, cecd:s, frd:u, fs:USER, ndm:u, nim:u, and ptm:sysm. Thus you can't get code execution from gspwn, and you can't modify the chunk headers to trigger memchunkhax. It does have the SVCs necessary for memchunkhax, but that's not saying much.

It's usable in other scenarios, but those are outside of our interests since they don't cover all hardware.

Which ever method may or may not be used to launch karl, will it be quicker to execute than load game -> enter menu -> create -> qr code -> wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things