ROM Hack [WIP] Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

blaaazedyo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been answered already but is it ok to run the randomizer more than once on the same folder? For example, if i were to run it maybe 3 times with the first time choice being 'conquest', the 2nd being 'birthright', then the final one being 'all paths' will it mess up the files somewhat?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been answered already but is it ok to run the randomizer more than once on the same folder? For example, if i were to run it maybe 3 times with the first time choice being 'conquest', the 2nd being 'birthright', then the final one being 'all paths' will it mess up the files somewhat?
You can use the same folder, but you need to use clean files each time. Randomizing more than once can mess up the files.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, guess I gotta wait for braindump to take 4321 hours again ;c Oh well, I hope it works this time.
How are you running the hack? If you are doing the CFW method, you should be using Decrypt9/GodMode9 to obtain the game in CIA form and extracting the contents of the CIA using something like Asia81's PackHack/HackingToolkit3DS. That method hasn't failed me and it's a lot quicker than braindump taking 20 years.

Reactions: Wijetron

Wijetron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you running the hack? If you are doing the CFW method, you should be using Decrypt9/GodMode9 to obtain the game in CIA form and extracting the contents of the CIA using something like Asia81's PackHack/HackingToolkit3DS. That method hasn't failed me and it's a lot quicker than braindump taking 20 years.

Seriously? I already use the Toolkit for extracting the .cxi, so this is crazy good news. I'm gonna do that now. Thanks!

Reactions: KunoichiZ

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just in case anyone's wondering, the randomizer isn't dead. I'm currently in the middle of rewriting everything from the ground up to make randomizing your game a lot less painful. With the new version, all you have to do is extract your romfs and select the directory in the randomizer - the program will handle the rest. No decompressing and compressing files with FEAT, no creating a separate patch folder beforehand.

The rewrite's also bringing a lot of additional features and customization. As far as new features go, the program can now randomize chest items and the player's starting class. You can choose which characters, classes, skills, and items are included in the pool. To top it all off, I'm addressing some shortcomings of the original version of the randomizer. Bitflags are now patched so that the royals' replacements can wield the divine weapons and activate dragon veins. I'm attempting to address all of the reported bugs and crashes, though I'm not sure about how many of those I can fix since most of them are because of the game being picky with setups on certain maps.

There's also a good chance for the randomizer to get Awakening support as well. Most of the code for editing Awakening's files is done, so it's just a matter of creating the randomizer itself and making sure that a randomized Awakening can be played without crashing every chapter. SoV support may come in the future, but I'm still not sure how I want to deal with changing the join order and fully-voiced dialogue.

If you want to follow progress on the next rendition of the randomizer, the code can be found on github.

Last edited by thane98,

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yo, I'm back again, and I'm in a fairly unique situation. After failing to randomize Fates last time after trying for about 10 hours, and giving up, I decided to give it another go tonight.
Back before Fates was released, I bought a Japanese 3DS and a copy of Fates: Special Edition despite knowing nothing of the language. I got through it easily using only the info up on Serenes Forest.
I've accidentally updated my English 3DS, and now it's at version 11.5. So, I decided it'd just be easier to use my Japanese 3DS to access homebrew and randomize my English version of Conquest that way.
I went through Plailect's guide and installed CFW on my japanese 3DS; including the most recent version of Luma. Unfortunately; I am unable to use Braindump to obtain the Romfs now.
When I try, I get a message in Homebrew saying "Rosalina" on the header, and it follows with, you guessed it, Japanese text. That I can't read.
Is there anyway I can obtain the Romfs without Braindump; or better yet a way I can use Braindump on my Jp3ds with Luma 8.0?
I tried using GodMode9 to obtain the romfs, but it gives me an error every time I try to copy them to the out folder.
I'm not well-versed in homebrew or rom-hacking by any means - I have little to no experience. So a step-by-step would be helpful.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yo, I'm back again, and I'm in a fairly unique situation. After failing to randomize Fates last time after trying for about 10 hours, and giving up, I decided to give it another go tonight.
Back before Fates was released, I bought a Japanese 3DS and a copy of Fates: Special Edition despite knowing nothing of the language. I got through it easily using only the info up on Serenes Forest.
I've accidentally updated my English 3DS, and now it's at version 11.5. So, I decided it'd just be easier to use my Japanese 3DS to access homebrew and randomize my English version of Conquest that way.
I went through Plailect's guide and installed CFW on my japanese 3DS; including the most recent version of Luma. Unfortunately; I am unable to use Braindump to obtain the Romfs now.
When I try, I get a message in Homebrew saying "Rosalina" on the header, and it follows with, you guessed it, Japanese text. That I can't read.
Is there anyway I can obtain the Romfs without Braindump; or better yet a way I can use Braindump on my Jp3ds with Luma 8.0?
I tried using GodMode9 to obtain the romfs, but it gives me an error every time I try to copy them to the out folder.
I'm not well-versed in homebrew or rom-hacking by any means - I have little to no experience. So a step-by-step would be helpful.
What I do is the following:
1. Obtain the game in .cia format. Note: it needs to be decrypted, can be decrypted using GodMode9.
2. Use Asia81's PackHack/HackingToolkit3DS (linked here, if you have Windows) and the CE option to extract the contents of the decrypted .cia
3. The romfs files are located in the DecryptedRomFS (or something related to that) folder.

This link can help with GodMode9 usage: https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage (sections "Dumping a Game Cart"/"Dumping a Title" and "Encrypting / Decrypting a .CIA file", specifically)

Braindump gives incomplete dumps, don't bother with it. I personally use Decrypt9 for all of my dumping/encrypting/whatever, but GodMode9 works just as well.

Reactions: Samantha007

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
What I do is the following:
1. Obtain the game in .cia format. Note: it needs to be decrypted, can be decrypted using GodMode9.
2. Use Asia81's PackHack/HackingToolkit3DS (linked here, if you have Windows) and the CE option to extract the contents of the decrypted .cia
3. The romfs files are located in the DecryptedRomFS (or something related to that) folder.

This link can help with GodMode9 usage: https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage (sections "Dumping a Game Cart"/"Dumping a Title" and "Encrypting / Decrypting a .CIA file", specifically)

Braindump gives incomplete dumps, don't bother with it. I personally use Decrypt9 for all of my dumping/encrypting/whatever, but GodMode9 works just as well.
Thank you so, so, so much. It's working now!

Reactions: KunoichiZ

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
7ca52df18aec9e8923dec31bd7848574.png

Every time I get to chapter 6, right before I choose a path, the game crashes and this error pops up.
I've tried going down on difficulty. (From classic lunatic, to classic hard, to classic normal and then casual normal) but to no avail.
I've also deleted the files that have to do with chapter 6 off my SD card, as suggested on the Serene's Forest post. Still no dice. Any ideas?

EDIT: I also completely re-did the randomization but it still crashes at the same point.

Last edited by Samantha007,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
7ca52df18aec9e8923dec31bd7848574.png

Every time I get to chapter 6, right before I choose a path, the game crashes and this error pops up.
I've tried going down on difficulty. (From classic lunatic, to classic hard, to classic normal and then casual normal) but to no avail.
I've also deleted the files that have to do with chapter 6 off my SD card, as suggested on the Serene's Forest post. Still no dice. Any ideas?

EDIT: I also completely re-did the randomization but it still crashes at the same point.
Which chapter files did you delete? There are multiple labels associated with chapter 6.

I can say with confidence that I haven't run into any issues with chapter 6 while testing the rewrite, so the issue will be fixed whenever it releases.

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Which chapter files did you delete? There are multiple labels associated with chapter 6.

I can say with confidence that I haven't run into any issues with chapter 6 while testing the rewrite, so the issue will be fixed whenever it releases.
From the Gamedata/Dispos folder, I deleted A006.bin, and A006E.bin
From the Scripts folder, I deleted A006.cmb and A006_Terrain.cmb
From the Scripts/bev folder, I deleted A006_ED_マイキャッスル.cmb, A006_OP2A.cmb, A006_OP2A_00.cmb, and A006_OP2A_05.cmb
I've randomized a physical copy of ENG Conquest that I'm playing from a JPN 3DS. I'm using NTR CFW 3.6.
To bypass this, I played through chapter 6 without using NTR, beat it, reboot my 3DS after saving and then booted up NTR. The problem with this is that Felicia will no longer be randomized if I do it.
I also tried deleting C006.bin, C006E.bin, P006.bin, X006.bin, X006E.bin from Gamedata/Dispos, and that fixed the problem however the weapons were no longer randomized, making the chapter impossible.
On top of this Charlotte (who replaced Felicia) turned into the randomized Felicia from the output file. It was strange, but it did allow me into chapter 6.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the Gamedata/Dispos folder, I deleted A006.bin, and A006E.bin
From the Scripts folder, I deleted A006.cmb and A006_Terrain.cmb
From the Scripts/bev folder, I deleted A006_ED_マイキャッスル.cmb, A006_OP2A.cmb, A006_OP2A_00.cmb, and A006_OP2A_05.cmb
I've randomized a physical copy of ENG Conquest that I'm playing from a JPN 3DS. I'm using NTR CFW 3.6.
To bypass this, I played through chapter 6 without using NTR, beat it, reboot my 3DS after saving and then booted up NTR. The problem with this is that Felicia will no longer be randomized if I do it.
I also tried deleting C006.bin, C006E.bin, P006.bin, X006.bin, X006E.bin from Gamedata/Dispos, and that fixed the problem however the weapons were no longer randomized, making the chapter impossible.
On top of this Charlotte (who replaced Felicia) turned into the randomized Felicia from the output file. It was strange, but it did allow me into chapter 6.
Maybe try using Luma's layeredfs feature instead of NTR? Place your randomized romfs files/folders in SD:/luma/titles/TITLEID/romfs, replacing TITLEID with your game's title ID (find this in FBI's Titles option) and enable "Enable game patching" in your Luma settings.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe try using Luma's layeredfs feature instead of NTR? Place your randomized romfs files/folders in SD:/luma/titles/TITLEID/romfs, replacing TITLEID with your game's title ID (find this in FBI's Titles option) and enable "Enable game patching" in your Luma settings.
It worked just the same; same error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation