ROM Hack [WIP] Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, the updates out! The changelog's in the main post, but I'll go ahead and leave it here as well for anyone interested. If you just want the download link, you can get the new update here.

Beta 3:
  • Added a section for optional characters. Currently, Anna, Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin can be randomized through this section.
  • Added randomization for reclass options.
  • Added an option to treat Jakob and Felicia as promoted units during class randomization.
  • Moved stat and skill randomization out of the "Experimental Features" section.
  • Made file verification errors more verbose to help with troubleshooting.
  • Fixed a bug which prevented Gunter's voice lines from being changed during join order randomization.
  • Fixed a bug which messed up reclass options for characters who received the "Hoshidan Noble" class.
  • Slightly improved the model swapping code. These changes should help prevent hangs or other moments where models fail to load.

Ningyoplug

Trophies
Website
ningyo.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Italy
Alright, the updates out! The changelog's in the main post, but I'll go ahead and leave it here as well for anyone interested. If you just want the download link, you can get the new update here.

Beta 3:
  • Added a section for optional characters. Currently, Anna, Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin can be randomized through this section.
  • Added an option to treat Jakob and Felicia as promoted units during class randomization.
  • Moved stat and skill randomization out of the "Experimental Features" section.
  • Fixed a bug which prevented Gunter's voice lines from being changed during join order randomization.
  • Fixed a bug which messed up reclass options for characters who received the "Hoshidan Noble" class.
  • Slightly improved the model swapping code. These changes should help prevent hangs or other moments where models fail to load.
Great!! I'll randomize right now. I'll let you know how it goes c:

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Beta 3:
  • Slightly improved the model swapping code. These changes should help prevent hangs

Beta 3:
This is really amazing! I'm going to use it as soon as I can. XD Hopefully this time I can get past chapter 5 ^^

Ningyoplug

Trophies
Website
ningyo.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Italy
Just began playing. Started a new game from the very beginning, and here''s the result:
- The characters ARE swapped- however, their classes aren't randomized, they're the same as the class of the character they replaced (idk if this is intentional or not, but I don't mind tbh)
- Even though pegasus warrior Crimson appears on the map in Hinoka's stead, the conversation sprite + voice is still Hinoka's. The same seems to happen to all the other characters... idk if this only happens in the first chapters, though.

I checked pretty much all the checkboxes except for the amiibo charas before randomizing, so i guess it should work? But it doesn't :0 I'm using the gay fates' gamedata.bin btw.

Edit: could it have something to do with the fact I'm playing the Japanese fan translated version? I'm noticing that even in the text the names aren't correct... like, Kamui still calls Saizou "Marx" and stuff like that

Last edited by Ningyoplug,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just began playing. Started a new game from the very beginning, and here''s the result:
- The characters ARE swapped- however, their classes aren't randomized, they're the same as the class of the character they replaced (idk if this is intentional or not, but I don't mind tbh)
- Even though pegasus warrior Crimson appears on the map in Hinoka's stead, the conversation sprite + voice is still Hinoka's. The same seems to happen to all the other characters... idk if this only happens in the first chapters, though.

I checked pretty much all the checkboxes except for the amiibo charas before randomizing, so i guess it should work? But it doesn't :0 I'm using the gay fates' gamedata.bin btw.

Edit: could it have something to do with the fact I'm playing the Japanese fan translated version? I'm noticing that even in the text the names aren't correct... like, Kamui still calls Saizou "Marx" and stuff like that
The characters won't appear in their randomized class until they actually join you - this is because until the character actually joins you, they are called through alternative, map-specific character blocks. At the moment, I don't have anything set up to change the map specific blocks outside of repointing the model/portrait labels.

It sounds like you left the text files in the @E folder after running the randomizer. Since you're using a Japanese version of Fates, you need to place the text files where they go in the Japanese version in order for the game to load them in place of the normal cutscenes. To be honest, I'm not sure where the Japanese version stores the text files, though I know that it's not under m/@E.

Reactions: Ningyoplug

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this update, will I still need to use the castle_join.bin.lz that's in the Gay Fates patch since we can randomize the amiibo character units in?

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Ike replaced Gunter as a Great Master, however he's not gaining skills, my guess is he has the wrong base class set.

Edit: Crashed after chapter 7 after getting the message Odin joined. Odin replaced Marth, the issue is likely due to combining with the gay fates auto join.

Last edited by Dylos,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this update, will I still need to use the castle_join.bin.lz that's in the Gay Fates patch since we can randomize the amiibo character units in?
It's up to you, the only thing it should change is how you recruit the amiibo units.

So Ike replaced Gunter as a Great Master, however he's not gaining skills, my guess is he has the wrong base class set.

Edit: Crashed after chapter 7 after getting the message Odin joined.
Could you upload the GameData.bin that gave you the issue? Also, which chapter 7 are you referring to?

Reactions: KunoichiZ

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you upload the GameData.bin that gave you the issue? Also, which chapter 7 are you referring to?
I'll see about uploading it in an hour or so. For now I'll add this, after reclassing Ike, he couldn't change back to Great Master, just like when I had a similar issue when Gunter's replacement was a Hoshido Noble.

Also as far as the crash, I'm playing revelation, and avoided the crash by saving outside of ntr and then switching back. As I added Odin took Marth's spot and I combined worth the gay fates.
Edit: Crashed again after prologue 1, I suggest not using gay fates' castle_join
Edit2: attached the gamedata.bin
Edit3: decided to switch to a random conquest. On chapter 7 the game crashed after the "Xander, kill Corrin." Line, skipping the dialogue does not prevent the crash.

Attachments

• GameData.7z
    46 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by Dylos,

ajmiam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooh, skill randomization! I'm intrigued. Does it give out level-up skills to each class completely independently of each other (so, e.g., 3 different classes could wind up with Luna) or does it take the existing level-up skills and "shuffle" them around in a 1:1 ratio (so only 1 class gets Luna, or potentially 0 if there are more skills than skill slots available)?

Anyway, I made a very primitive skill randomizer myself not too long ago (made for use with save editors, not ROM hacking)--the way it works is that the user can specify certain sets of skills to allow or forbid in addition to the standard (non-DLC/amiibo) class skills, and can also choose whether or not the randomizer should assign skills to the DLC/amiibo classes. The randomizer then arbitrarily chooses a number of the allowed skills equal to the number of level-up skill slots in the allowed classes, and discards the rest, if any. Then, it randomly distributes the chosen skills, but it's not 100% random: it follows certain restrictions to make sure every skill is usable by the class it appears in (or appears in a base class where both promotion options can use it).

The list of restrictions is as follows (just in case you want to guarantee something similar if and when you add more options and features to your skill randomizer):
  • Locktouch always appears as the Level 1 skill of Ninjas and Outlaws, to ensure the player can open all chests since not all of them have keys. (In your case, since you're also randomizing classes, you might need to do something a bit more involved to make sure this skill is available early--or just accept that the player might have to miss some chests.)
  • Each weapon-faire skill (Axefaire, Bowfaire, Lancefaire, Shurikenfaire, Swordfaire, Tomefaire) can only appear in a class that can use the corresponding weapon
  • Live to Serve can only appear in a class that can use Staves
  • Beastbane can only appear in the Kitsune, Wolfskin, Nine-Tails, and Wolfssegner classes
  • Inspiring Song can only appear in the Songstress class
  • Strength +2, Strengthtaker, and Heavy Blade can only appear in classes that can use physical weapons (basically any class other than Monk/Shrine Maiden, Onmyoji, Dark Mage, Sorcerer, Troubadour, Strategist, or Witch)
  • Magic +2 and Magictaker can only appear in classes that use Tomes or Staves
  • Malefic Aura can only appear in a class that can use Tomes (though this restriction is more for convenience than anything else and could be discarded, as technically anyone can help a Magic-user by using this skill to weaken enemies)
  • The four Ballistician skills (Survey, Opportunity Shot, Rifled Barrel, Surefooted) can only appear in the Ballistician class since they have no effect on other classes
  • Shadowgift can only appear in a Tome-using class, but not Dark Mage or Sorcerer
  • Point Blank can only appear in a class that can use Bows
  • Each weakness-shield skill (Beast Shield, Armor Shield, Winged Shield) can only appear in a class that has the corresponding weakness
  • Inevitable End can only appear in a class that can use Shurikens (technically it works with a few other items, but those might not be obtainable depending on the path the user is playing)
  • Staff Savant can only appear in a class that can use Staves
  • If a skill appears in multiple classes (like Beastbane, Grisly Wound, Aether, or Charm), then it can't appear twice in the same class or base->promoted class line. Similarly, Resist Status and Immune Status can't appear in the same class or class line as each other.
  • The randomizer will NEVER give out Void Curse or Self-Destruct, for obvious reasons

Ningyoplug

Trophies
Website
ningyo.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Italy
So Ike replaced Gunter as a Great Master, however he's not gaining skills
In my case, Leon replaced Gunter as a Managarm (or whatever it's called) but he's not gaining experience. Or better, he gains 1 exp when he kills someone on his own, and no exp when he helps another unit kill someone.

Maybe it's a problem with Gunter?

Anyway, I'm on chapter 7 and so far no crashes.

PS: thanks thane, I put everything in the correct directories of the jp special edition and now voices and sprites are working fine!
Edit: actually, they were working fine until chapter 7.... now they're not working again...

Last edited by Ningyoplug,

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my case, Leon replaced Gunter as a Managarm (or whatever it's called) but he's not gaining experience. Or better, he gains 1 exp when he kills someone on his own, and no exp when he helps another unit kill someone.

PS: thanks thane, I put everything in the correct directories of the jp special edition and now voices and sprites are working fine!
Edit: actually, they were working fine until chapter 7.... now they're not working again...
Did you rebuild and reinstall the dlc (assuming you randomized the 3rd path) both Hans and ntr do not replace files found in dlc.

Ningyoplug

Trophies
Website
ningyo.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Italy
Did you rebuild and reinstall the dlc (assuming you randomized the 3rd path) both Hans and ntr do not replace files found in dlc.
Damn... no, i didn't. I assumed they'd be replaced by NTR arghh... I'll do it later on, then. Since right now I'm playing both a "normal" revelation playthroughs and a randomized one. I'll finish the normal playthrough first, and then rebuild and reinstall the DLC. Thanks for the info!

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn... no, i didn't. I assumed they'd be replaced by NTR arghh... I'll do it later on, then. Since right now I'm playing both a "normal" revelation playthroughs and a randomized one. I'll finish the normal playthrough first, and then rebuild and reinstall the DLC. Thanks for the info!
Well, ntr will still randomize Hoshido and nohr for you if you wanted to play with either of those paths.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the moment, it actually just picks skills randomly and assigns them based off of how many skills the switching character possessed. I might switch it over to a more detailed system in the future when the base features are in a more stable state. In the mean time, I include the source code in every version I put out, so if you want to mess around with the current skill randomization code, feel free to.

Also as far as the crash, I'm playing revelation, and avoided the crash by saving outside of ntr and then switching back. As I added Odin took Marth's spot and I combined worth the gay fates.
Edit: Crashed again after prologue 1, I suggest not using gay fates' castle_join
Edit2: attached the gamedata.bin
Edit3: decided to switch to a random conquest. On chapter 7 the game crashed after the "Xander, kill Corrin." Line, skipping the dialogue does not prevent the crash.
I'll try running some tests with Gay Fates' castle_join when I get the chance. In theory, there should be no issues using that one over the base game's. Anyways, I thought that the issue with Conquest Chapter 7 was due to a special case in the bev file for its second scene, but I guess that its something else. I'll look into this as well.

I thought that I fixed the issues with low experience gains, but I guess not. The current code gives each character the level and internal level of the character they switched with, so in theory they should receive the same amount of experience as the character they switched with does in the base game. If the issue's not related to that code, then I have no idea what's causing the low experience gains.

I'll try to get out a hot fix for these issues at some point, but I can't make any promises on how soon that will be.

Last edited by thane98,

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gunter's replacement has an internal level of 5 and won't gain much xp on chapter 2 or chapter 3. However he should be fine after he rejoins in chapter 7. In fact my replacement for Gunter gained xp fine in chapter 7.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have to ask. I'm playing Birthright on cartridge. Why is Silas still Silas when I get him after beating chapter 7? Someone else should have replaced him right? Now I'm going to have two Silas. :(

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to ask. I'm playing Birthright on cartridge. Why is Silas still Silas when I get him after beating chapter 7? Someone else should have replaced him right? Now I'm going to have two Silas. :(
Did you check the output file? It's always possible that Silas simply didn't change places with anyone else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended