[WIP] Final Fantasy (eShop) Translation.

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Drwho0894, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Defaultio

Defaultio GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    It crashed while entering the town.
    AN EXCEPTION OCCURRED

Processor: ARM11 (core 0)
    Exception type: data abort
    Current Process: CROWN (000400000005DA00)

(More hexadecimal stuff that I don't know about and possibly abbreviated names.)

"You can find a dump in the following file:
    dumps/arm11/crash_dump_00000000.dmp"

Then on the bottom screen it says:
    Stack dump:
    then more hexadecimal stuffs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0353hyhcl27wln5/IMG_20170807_145331763.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq3g8axbldemxg9/IMG_20170807_145340761.jpg?dl=0
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    Well at least it is consistent ;) Looks to be the exact same issue I get, Same PC address if memory serves.

3. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    -SNIP- Accidental Double post.

Last edited by geekboy1011, Aug 7, 2017
  4. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    The thing is, it only happens in the town of Cornelia(?), not the castles in the current continent.
    What if its because the town is flagged to an event - that event being that the only way to get out is to talk to an NPC to get to the castle. The only way to find out is to play a normal play through until the second town. Then add the repacked romfs to it and enter the second town and see if that gives the same error.

That's what i'm thinking though. BTW, the savegame that I had didn't even load because I was in the town.

5. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    Update:
    Entering matoyas cave causes a crash.
    Entering the second town does NOT crash the game.

Edit 1: Obviously its something in the Crown.dpk that's been changed, we know what has been changed which means that those files must have something different about them.
    No, it isn't crashing while loading a graphical animation (OP), my guess while it was repacking itself, data was lost or just replaced and not completed due to how the repacking process works on its files.

Edit 2: The town of Cornelia will always crash no matter what point of game you're in.

Edit 3: I shall keep playing until Melmond, there wouldn't be a purpose into playing a game where there may be a crash at any given in-game location in the game.

Last edited by Defaultio, Aug 8, 2017
  6. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    Actually from stepping through code I know it's crashing loading what I believe to be animation files. However that is irrelevant. I think the compressor is just handling some edge cases weirdly, will play with it as the week goes on. Some ideas thankfully, going to have it dump the entire contents to SD card and see how they match decompressed via the games decompressor versus ours. Regardless thanks for testing!

(typed on my phone bear with me!)

Last edited by geekboy1011, Aug 8, 2017
  7. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    Happy to help! I really want to see this game translated, its especially convenient on my 3ds rather a psp emulator (physical buttons).

FateForWindows and geekboy1011 like this.
  8. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    I have another theory - Maybe its the repacker itself (as you have said before).
    I compared the file sizes of both before unpacked and after repacked and noticed a 15,000 kb difference between the files.
    Perhaps the repacker adds more data to some files inside of the crown.dpk than it already needs/has?
    Could it be that it doesn't replace some data, it just inserts but not replaces the data?

We will never know.

FateForWindows likes this.
  9. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    Accidental second post.

Last edited by Defaultio, Aug 9, 2017
  10. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    So, has anything interesting happen over the past weeks?

Last edited by Defaultio, Aug 23, 2017
  11. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    That is a technical possibility. The reason for the extra space however is believed to be due to the fact that we do not 0 fill like the copy of the compressor they use does. With the compression scheme you can assume anything outside of the current file size is 0. We currently do not make that assumption and assume we can not use data outside of the file. So we lose some efficiency but it is still compliant. I think I am wanting to modify it to support zero fill but that is down the road. Other bugs to squash first.

As noted above we know how the compression works :D, We even have an implementation. IF you look in the wp16 directory you can see all of our notes and documentation regarding the formats, As well as some sources to the psp version of the DPK/PCK archives which are slightly different for some reason.

Also just edit your posts please. I check the thread daily. I will see them :P

Last edited by geekboy1011, Aug 9, 2017
    Defaultio likes this.
  12. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    So um... being Out of The Loop for a while, what progress has been made?

13. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    Sine my last post a whole lot of nothing. Life came and reared its head again and I'm am in the middle of a move again :( Truck is coming sunday!

14. WiisleyU

WiisleyU GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Brazil
    This project is gone? :'(

15. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Honestly, by the time this gets translated, I think Square Enix will end up paying a few thousand bucks to some shite startup to port Final Fantasy I and II to PC, and they'll once again use the inferior mobile ports instead of the PSP ones...

16. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    I'm just slow and this is a pet project so it hasn't been high on my radar. There is quite a bit of work to do and bugs to squash I am afraid. Definetily not dead I actually spent a few hours tracking some issues down the other day but nothing that turned into progress :/ So not dead just moving slower then a glacier.

1Zero, Aglaophotis and GuyInDogSuit like this.
  17. 1Zero

1Zero Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    It's cool that you're still trying to improve FF1's 3DS translation issues.

Secondly, I really thought Square Enix would localize this, should've known better.

Either way, take your time.

Fast/slow progress is still progress.