[WIP] Final Fantasy (eShop) Translation.

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Drwho0894, Mar 11, 2016.

1. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
  2. Gameboy Color

Gameboy Color Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    what do you mean "worse resolution"?

3. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    PSP version is 480x272, 3DS is 400x240.

Gameboy Color likes this.
  4. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    So they downscaled it a little to fit the screens. And so what? I've made an attempt at playing the Japanese version (it's actually quite playable if you don't know Japanese, just don't bother with magic) and it looks quite similar to the PSP/iOS version. Artstyle still looks about as nice as everything else on the 3DS.

5. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Is this still alive? Is someone still working on the translation?

6. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    No one's managed to crack the compression, until someone does, we can't inject text.

7. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    how does square have this tight of compression on it that it hasn't been crack...bummer

8. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Good question, if you figure out the answer, please tell us.

We've figured out decompression, but there's 2 bytes we haven't figured out the purpose of, and the game crashes if those bytes are wrong. It's not a checksum, but if the data changes, the correct value changes.

9. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    FWIW i also have not put any effort into this. With luma's NEW GDB stub I should be able to figure out more if i put the effort in...but I have not! Alas life has still been rather hectic :(

We do not know that. We think they are just scene ID's Eg bytes that tell the console when it needs to load certain assets. With that they really do not matter. The actual problem here is a lack of proper re-compression atm. I whole heartily believe that the compression routine is just producing output the on hardware decompressor does not like,

10. Defaultio

Defaultio GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
  11. Drwho0894
    OP

Drwho0894 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
  12. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
  13. face235

face235 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    It's nice to see this is still going strong. I, too, am baffled as to why English text was removed, when you can still name your characters with English letters.

14. FateForWindows

FateForWindows GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    How am I not watching this thread? I really wish that this translation could become a thing.

15. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    Sadly not strictly relevant, This is based off the psp port. Which uses different image files (EG the gims) where we use 3ds standard ctpk's!

Also no relevant though seems to have some nice information. That being said not applicable to this either :(

If i have anything to say about it someone else will just need to insert the text!

So Ii did not want to yet. But if you have been following my twitter you would have seen there has been quite some progress made. We can now successfully extract and repack the archive in a fashion that the game is mostly ok with. I am getting some random crashes and have no idea what is the culprit(literally can do battles and enter the castle...entering the town however causes a crash....) However I mostly know what is going wrong. Some memory is being overwritten in a place it should not be. Just not sure if it is related to the compressor/decompresser combo or something else. And without hardware watchpoints working. Stepping through it is very very time consuming. A few days there might be more progress time will tell. Meh ill update the op while I'm at this.

DarkSynopsis likes this.
  16. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    Is there anything I could do to actually help, I would really want to- but then again, I can't really get the homebrew channel working for some reason on my O3ds 11.5 CFW.
    I still want to help in any way possible- maybe catch me up to speed on what the progress of this project is?

17. FateForWindows

FateForWindows GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    Not really ontopic, but have you upgraded to the New Homebrew Launcher yet?

18. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    On a more related note, I have updated everything and am ready to help with anything you need! Whether its decompressing, file searching, compressing and testing!
    I know a few people who can help that come from a different website with their awesome skills.

Time for some braindumping and rom file viewing and ctpack cracking!

Last edited by Defaultio, Aug 7, 2017
  19. Drwho0894
    OP

Drwho0894 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    It shouldnt really take long to translate as we already have the full script in English anyways. Just possibly lining up text and getting that right.

20. Defaultio

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    So what's exactly stopping you from doing that?