[WIP] Final Fantasy (eShop) Translation.

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Drwho0894, Mar 11, 2016.

Mar 11, 2016
  1. geekboy1011

Newcomer geekboy1011 Member

United States
    I am just going to pretend you didn't ask that.

Alrighty I finnally got the tools posted :D

https://github.com/geekbozu/DPK_PCKTools

In all honesty I think it is failing due to improperly using 2 bytes that I have not identified OR the fact that I do not "recompress" the files.

2. Karmic_Backlash

Newcomer Karmic_Backlash Newbie

United States
    I have been throwing around the idea of starting this myself for a few months now, Glad to see someone beat me to it

3. geekboy1011

United States
    Well any help would be more then appreciated. Notes are in the repo. Please discuss and help me figure out what is wrong!

Edit:
    Small? edit, Apparently the decompress-or occasionally outputs garbage data at the end of the files. Needs to be fixed.

http://romxhack.esforos.com/viewtopic.php?t=51

more info on file structure/Compression/text archives are here. At least we now know what we are dealing with completily. Even if my tools are not up to snuff yet

Edit2:

Some major sighs here.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

We have a minor success. I successfully overwrote the warning screen. With a new file. Sadly I had todo it manually something is not working correctly with my scripts so far. :/

More testing seems to return a file limit size of about 270ishMB which is slightly baffling? Not sure if its a NTR limitation or a FF1 engine lmitation

Last edited by geekboy1011, Jan 29, 2017
  4. seijinshu

Member seijinshu ...

United States
    Has anyone grabbed the Android port of this? We might be able to do more work with that one. Mainly since it should be more similar and it is the second most recent one, with this one being the most recent. I also have a debugger set up with my system so I can debug if needed.

Last edited by seijinshu, Jan 31, 2017
  5. geekboy1011

United States
    It is on the todo list but not really high priority, Currently need to fix up the unpacking/packing tools so we can properly modify the archive's Until then having assets is completely useless. That being said we are going to need a programmer to completely re-implement textboxes for us OR we are going to have to live with badly mono-spaced font work. I need to dive into the code some more to see if there is support for any other styles of text rendering.

6. seijinshu

Member seijinshu ...

United States
    I can do that if I ever get time for it. I can also work on figuring out the crashes. It also uses the same font as Android version, so I might fork out 5 bucks to play around with it.

Last edited by seijinshu, Jan 31, 2017
    GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  7. geekboy1011

United States
    I already know whats wrong with the crashes. My decompressor/compressor pair needs to be re-written They are not completely functional, Been slowly working on it since the weekend. If you want to start looking at the code.bin and seeing if you can figure out how/where to patch in a new text render we can start moving from there. Files extract mostly correctly (some garbage padding at the end occasionally...its a bug), So I can at least get you the file system structure.

As for the font that isnt shocking. They hardcode the glyphs as images :P so why change the font when you have something that works from the psp version :D Why they removed the English text is what is confusing.

Last edited by geekboy1011, Jan 31, 2017
    GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  8. seijinshu

Member seijinshu ...

United States
    OK, missed figuring out the issue. But yeah, I can poke around with whatever you need me to when I have the time.

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  9. Drwho0894
    OP

Member Drwho0894 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'll obviously wait till the Package thing works. Then we can poke around all the files and see if we can just replace things from the PSP version as it's based on the PSP version or if we'd need to do a full translation.

10. Spiderkid08

Member Spiderkid08 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is this still ongoing?

11. GuyInDogSuit

Member GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

United States
    Read the previous posts.

12. Spiderkid08

Member Spiderkid08 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i did. I just wanted to be 100% sure it was, has there been any progress with the package thing?

13. Mikemk

Member Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You have the ability to check on your own...
    [​IMG]
    @geekboy1011 I think the extra bytes are a checksum of some sort.

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  14. geekboy1011

United States
    @Mikemk They look to be a package ID generated at asset compile time. Based on how things correlate it seems to be a scene ID to know what to load when. As assets used around the same time tend to have the same ID's

It is a slow work in progress life once again reared it's ugly head and is causing some halting on progress. As well as the need to learn some more arm disassembly tricks to see why the current repacked assets is causing some beautiful data corruption I currently need to work on making the asset unpacking layout a little more human readable. A close friend of mine is helping thankfully so again its slow but progressing. Keep an eye on the repo. Best way to see progress as it happens.

Last edited by geekboy1011, Mar 21, 2017
    GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  15. Karmic_Backlash

Newcomer Karmic_Backlash Newbie

United States