Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fenthwick said:
The down side of x64 is that you won't be able to run 16bit apps/games. But this shouldn't affect you if you're not into older games.

Most 16 bit pc games require MsDOS. A simple solution to this problem on Vista x64 is to use DosBox.
smile.gif

Running Vista 64 bit for well over a year now, have encountered very little compatibility problems with my older games or apps.

Tripp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GreyAlien said:
fenthwick said:
The down side of x64 is that you won't be able to run 16bit apps/games. But this shouldn't affect you if you're not into older games.

Most 16 bit pc games require MsDOS. A simple solution to this problem on Vista x64 is to use DosBox.
smile.gif

Running Vista 64 bit for well over a year now, have encountered very little compatibility problems with my older games or apps.

Good to know, Thanks for the tip.
smile.gif

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Vista Ultimate x64 (didn't pay for it
smile.gif
, doesn't mean I pirated it though, lol) But here was my approach from going from 32-bit Home Premium to going to either 32-Bit Ultimate, or 64-Bit Ultimate. I paid for a 64-bit capable processor, and I want to damn use it. If the OS is 32-bit, the processor will always operate at 32-bit, at least in 64-bit I'm actually using the damn processor's 64-bit which I paid for. So far I haven't ran into compatibility regarding 32-bit programs except once, and that was for some photo beta program, however, everything I used to use on 32-bit works right now in 64-bit. I won't really comment on if its faster or not (32-bit programs aren't faster, 64-bit ones do seem faster), but at least I know I'm using a feature I paid for. If you're worried about drivers, I had mostly no problem getting drivers (excpet my stupid sound driver... bah to Sigmatel/IDT). To my suprise I even was able to find drivers for my tablet digitizer, which isn't wacom, but finepoint. So I think 64-bit drivers are pretty much here and the arguement that its hard to find drivers for 64-bit windows might be thrown out the window.
smile.gif
Just my input in the topic.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
Venko said:
Neither.

Your copy of Vista is not free. Sure, they're not charging you money for it now but you are selling your freedom. What's more is you're responsible for others feeling the need to pay Microsoft money for their OS.

Do the right thing and use Free Software. Once you've got used to it you'll love the freedom that you have. You can change any part of it to be exactly how you want it to be. What's more is the game you play at the moment, World of Warcraft, runs perfectly in Wine (a Windows API layer for GNU/Linux).

Trust me, free software is the way to go. Take back your freedom
smile.gif

I appreciate the deep open-source spiel, but it doesn't hold up when you pirate windows...like everyone does.

Plus i don't want to learn a whole new OS. And Ubuntu sounds too weird when you say it out loud.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good morning