Windows 10

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
make a system image immediately after doing the upgrade, problem solved, you can reimage to that point whenever you need a reinstall for any reason :-P ;-)
True but it still wont be a clean install due to being an upgrade from win 7 for me, blah, Im just gonna stick with 7 for now, when this machine dies Ill deal with 10.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True but it still wont be a clean install due to being an upgrade from win 7 for me, blah, Im just gonna stick with 7 for now, when this machine dies Ill deal with 10.

Well m$ will still be making security updates for 7 for a while I take it anyways as Vista would be next on the chopping block after XP . You're probably good for a while, if you miss the boat on free Windows 10, there's always Ubuntu or any other flavor of linux for that matter and best part of that is its always free :)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
As was already mentioned, I'm guessing Microsoft will be making the full Windows 10 ISO's available on their site. Of course these won't be activated, but they've done it with 7 and 8 now for the sake of backup and recovery, so I don't see why they wouldn't with 10. IIRC, the activation key is stored in the BIOS, so even if you do a full fresh install rather than just the upgrade in the future, as long as you got the same version, Windows 10 should recognize your activation key and not require anything extra.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there anyway to activate/crack windows 10 yet?

Since it hasn't even reached the RTM stage yet that is not possible. Kind of hard to crack something when the activation/copy prevention code isn't available to reverse engineer yet (the preview releases don't contain the activation code for just that reason, someone would use it to make a crack).

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As was already mentioned, I'm guessing Microsoft will be making the full Windows 10 ISO's available on their site. Of course these won't be activated, but they've done it with 7 and 8 now for the sake of backup and recovery, so I don't see why they wouldn't with 10. IIRC, the activation key is stored in the BIOS, so even if you do a full fresh install rather than just the upgrade in the future, as long as you got the same version, Windows 10 should recognize your activation key and not require anything extra.

Yep Nathan is right, they started embedding the product keys in the BIOS with Windows 8 and 8.1, real pain in the arse if you ask me, but it works I guess :P

Reactions: Deleted User

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm guessing it was probably sarcasm but with some of the questions people ask these days you can never be too sure lol
Post above confirms your statement.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wouldn't it? :huh:
#illuminati lol jk

Windows 10 will be unix based just like everyother modern OS, there's noo reason for emulation to suddenly "break" with the new OS. Of course, like any OS upgrade there will always be certain apps that compatibility is only parti
DUnno, different code n shit

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
#illuminati lol jk

Windows 10 will be unix based just like everyother modern OS, there's noo reason for emulation to suddenly "break" with the new OS. Of course, like any OS upgrade there will always be certain apps that compatibility is only parti
wow owow wow what? no.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
#illuminati lol jk

Windows 10 will be NT based just like every other modern version of Windows. There.

I just wonder whether they'll upgrade the version number. Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2, Windows 8.1 was 6.3. Will this one break the trend and be the first true Windows 7? I guess anyone with the tech preview can say for sure.

D

Deleted User

DUnno, different code n shit
If anything, Windows 95/98 programs would be the most likely to stop working in Windows 10. I mean, Windows 8 sometimes has issues running some programs built for Windows 95/98, and this will probably only get worse as more and more versions of Windows are released by Microsoft, and eventually, 95/98 programs just won't work at all.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
If anything, Windows 95/98 programs would be the most likely to stop working in Windows 10. I mean, Windows 8 sometimes has issues running some programs built for Windows 95/98, and this will probably only get worse as more and more versions of Windows are released by Microsoft, and eventually, 95/98 programs just won't work at all.
As long softwares are compatible with XP and up, there shouldn't be any more problems than what we have in windows 7 and 8. I mean, anything works flawlessly in my end.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow owow wow what? no.

sorry my phone was being stupid haha. I was trying to say that some applications may "break" either partially or all together with the upgrade, but that's to be expected with ANY OS upgrade.

It however won't break emulation as a whole, that's just silly :P. If some emulators temporarily lose compatibility with the upgrade, it will just take some minor tweaking to get it going again. Most emulators will probably run fine though, if they run on 8.1 no problem.

@Arras NT is based on Unix. What I was getting at is that all modern OS's are ultimately based on Unix ever since the XP days.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
sorry my phone was being stupid haha. I was trying to say that some applications may "break" either partially or all together with the upgrade, but that's to be expected with ANY OS upgrade.

It however won't break emulation as a whole, that's just silly :P. If some emulators temporarily lose compatibility with the upgrade, it will just take some minor tweaking to get it going again. Most emulators will probably run fine though, if they run on 8.1 no problem.

@Arras NT is based on Unix. What I was getting at is that all modern OS's are ultimately based on Unix ever since the XP days.
You seriously should stop posting about stuff you don't have any ideas of how it works...

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You seriously should stop posting about stuff you don't have any ideas of how it works...

If you're referring to my comment on NT being based on Unix as well as other modern OS's look it up. They're all ultimately based off Unix, much like Windows prior to XP was based off MS-DOS (with the exception of NT which was their Unix based branch )

These are well known facts...

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Windows 10 will be NT based just like every other modern version of Windows. There.

I just wonder whether they'll upgrade the version number. Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2, Windows 8.1 was 6.3. Will this one break the trend and be the first true Windows 7? I guess anyone with the tech preview can say for sure.
The Tech Preview identifies itself as "Version 10.0", I wonder if it is a placeholder number. :unsure:
SZDxGjR.png

(Sorry for the shitty editing job, I'm using my dad's computer, and he doesn't have anything besides Paint yet lol)
BTW Spartan/Edge is pretty good, shame that it is unstable as hell atm.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The Tech Preview identifies itself as "Version 10.0", I wonder if it is a placeholder number. :unsure:
SZDxGjR.png

(Sorry for the shitty editing job, I'm using my dad's computer, and he doesn't have anything besides Paint yet lol)
BTW Spartan/Edge is pretty good, shame that it is unstable as hell atm.
Are you sure that's the kernel version number? Just open a command prompt (hit winkey + r, type cmd and hit enter) and the kernel version number should show up at the top. If it does not for some reason, typing 'ver' in the command prompt will output the version number as well.
81fbf9bb4c.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs