Hacking Will Wii U sales go up as soon as homebrew is possible?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ol' folks from the 80's and 90's grew up with official and pirate carts so I see why he'd prefer to buy 50-in-1 carts over a flashcart, for nostalgia mostly.

I suppose there are those people, but this guy was not that. I don't think he wanted to be bothered with searching and downloading files and the associated risks. There is also a degree of plausible deniability. "I didn't know the seller hadn't paid his licensing fees."

All this also takes having some technical skills or the time and desire to learn what you don't know. Most people are not going to go through all of this. None of the tools are are exactly dummy proof and take a certain degree of maintenance. I haven't messed with the Wii in about 3 years and it probably could use some updating. The boys have mostly been into the 3DS, Minecraft/Terraria on PC, and spend 90% of their gaming time on our handed down iPhones.

In three years of iPhone/iPad gaming the two of them have spent less than the cost of two Wii U games on the App Store. That is a major problem for the big 3 console makers.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read the op and decided on my reply without reading the rest; there is nothing going on with the Wii U. Trinux is a car frame without a gas tank or engine (nobody to build those either; SMP and extra RAM) and the noteworthy announcement is the TSK is now on Wii U Hax. Excited?

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the demographic of the typical consol hacker?

Every kid in my neighboorhood at least had a Wii and DS and probably more. No one had a hacked unit except me and when I woukd explain it to the parents they were totally not interested. There was one dad that would buy these carts from China that came with 50 or so games on them. I tried explaining that it was essentially the same thing as the Acekard my kids had but we selected what games to load. Nope not interested, what he was doing was legit. :)

I have been making this point relating to console hacking and piracy for a long time now. We are all a dying breed, especially in the western world. Content is so much more affordable and available now and the youths are so spoiled no one wants to bother.

Leverage that against the fact that modding consoles has become much more burdensome (because of constant updates) and I think only those that really find modding fun/interesting will invest the time.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It takes brains, knowledge, and know-how. The FEW that are working or have worked on the Wii U do not share info. A hack probably won't make any difference. Manufacturers don't make money selling consoles, it comes from selling games. And since Nintendo couldn't manage to have their main Titles at console release (Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros..) it seems like they don't get it. --- and not that I care to have the conversation but ANYONE who complains about "piracy" is an idiot. Piracy has little to no effect on the success of a game console. Or a TV show. Or music. (feel free to listen to the producers of Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.. piracy actually helps them and they are mostly ok with it.).

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It takes brains, knowledge, and know-how. The FEW that are working or have worked on the Wii U do not share info. A hack probably won't make any difference. Manufacturers don't make money selling consoles, it comes from selling games. And since Nintendo couldn't manage to have their main Titles at console release (Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros..) it seems like they don't get it. --- and not that I care to have the conversation but ANYONE who complains about "piracy" is an idiot.Piracy has little to no effect on the success of a game console. Or a TV show. Or music. (feel free to listen to the producers of Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.. piracy actually helps them and they are mostly ok with it.).

While I generally agree with you, one point you made I have to counter.
Piracy has little to no effect on the success of a game console.

I'd like you to google "PSP piracy" for me. If you can't, here's a link: http://bit.ly/1EOpzYk
And before you argue that I'd get the same results for any other console, you can try it yourself and see the results.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

I'd like you to google "PSP piracy" for me. If you can't, here's a link: http://bit.ly/1EOpzYk
And before you argue that I'd get the same results for any other console, you can try it yourself and see the results.

PSP had a piece of shit disc driver that was slow and too big rather than using cards so it's no surprise people ended up hacking it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

https://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

Piracy != instant loss in sales or complete destruction of a console/handheld. DS was rampant with piracy, as was the Wii, PS3, etc and all consoles sold phenomenally, so....

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I wanted to know what the industry thought about it, i could just go to their website. I don't think it is without consequence, but look at the xbox360, the PS3, and the Wii (hell it's still selling)... all wide open, all still doing quite well in sales. It didn't kill the original Xbox either, hell Bunnie made a career after opening it up to piracy and hacking. We hacked Direct TV back in the day, they are still standing, same with DishNetwork --- still standing. Cable modems? I hacked those (all while working for comcast as an engineer) and it was never a thought to them. It only comes up when they are doing profit reports and sales or revenue is slipping -- then suddenly anyone or anything that can be blamed will. Google play store is hacked wide open right now.. download your favorite app via ******** and install, full version. All still standing, Billions will be made this year.

I run a construction company as well, should I count sales that I don't get? Put down a loss? If someone car jacks me, except they just touch my car and copy it, and drive away, while i keep my car--- did they just steal it...? no.

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can't see any useful homebrew that wouldn't be designed only for pirating...
Pirates are very few, so the sales won't grow for this reason.
Those who say that this will save their lens are also quite stupid as far as games can be officially downloaded through eshop.
Well some can't but most of them can be downloaded.
Those who ask for a multimedia player could purchase a raspberry pi...

If you have a look at http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2011&end_year=2014&console=WiiU you will see when Mario kart was introduced.
The big problem of nintendo is that they launch their product with no major games...
They did the same with the 3DS that was a huge flop and now it leads the market !
The Wii U won't, but for sure but nintendo will survive !

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
PSP had a piece of shit disc driver that was slow and too big rather than using cards so it's no surprise people ended up hacking it.

Okay...thanks?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

Piracy != instant loss in sales or complete destruction of a console/handheld. DS was rampant with piracy, as was the Wii, PS3, etc and all consoles sold phenomenally, so....
I'm only discussing the PSP here, no other system, so....

I think everyone missed my point. I wasn't talking about ANY other system but that one. If you wanted to prove me wrong, all you'd have to do is say "PC", and you'd have proven me wrong. All I was saying is I'm pretty sure piracy was a huge reason in that console's downfall. OTHER THAN THAT, piracy doesn't seem to have too much of an effect.

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiu sales will never go up(and if they do they will come down just as fast), nintendo has ruined it for themselves.
Weak console, weak line up, weak online, they have started disconnecting themselves from the nes/snes/n64 gamers since the wii.
They chose casual over hardcore, and now they have been presented with the bill for that.

I dont think itll be hacked anytime soon, especially not by people on gbatemp. no offense

gbatemp is full of people who say they will attempt some sort of hack, which they never will or just dont have the skills for. Then there are certain people who run newssites who try to hype every little piece of fake information they can get their hands on. And then you have the people like failoverflow, who can actually do stuff but will just tease/lecture, they will never release anything.

so everything in the wiiu scene looks pretty shit, id even go as far to say the ps3 scene was/is a lot better. and the ps3scene was really shit ^^

basically, dont get your hopes up. most of the threads on here are about vwii, that should tell you enough ;)

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Weak console, weak line up, weak online, they have started disconnecting themselves from the nes/snes/n64 gamers since the wii.
They chose casual over hardcore, and now they have been presented with the bill for that.
gbatemp is full of people who say they will attempt some sort of hack, which they never will or just dont have the skills for. Then there are certain people who run newssites who try to hype every little piece of fake information they can get their hands on.

Not going to flame you, but what about all those VC releases? seems like they do care about them, especially since they've released earthbound, and all those homages in recent games, e.g Ocarina of Time Characters in Hyrule Warriors, and Duck Hunt/Little Mac in Smash? Also, nintendo's always been casual, but they do have Bayonetta 2, along with Zombiu and some other ones(though not a lot, I agree). Regarding the hacks, have you considered that these people have other lives too, besides this? It's not black-and white no skill or lazy, it's that they have other things happening too. I have to agree with your last statement though.

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not going to flame you, but what about all those VC releases? seems like they do care about them, especially since they've released earthbound, and all those homages in recent games, e.g Ocarina of Time Characters in Hyrule Warriors, and Duck Hunt/Little Mac in Smash? Also, nintendo's always been casual, but they do have Bayonetta 2, along with Zombiu and some other ones(though not a lot, I agree). Regarding the hacks, have you considered that these people have other lives too, besides this? It's not black-and white no skill or lazy, it's that they have other things happening too. I have to agree with your last statement though.

there wasnt even such a thing as casual gaming on the nes/snes, so they have not always been casual.
And i have paid for all those games 20 years ago..why would i rebuy the same games that i already know/own and have finished? Sorry VC crap doesnt count imo.
If that were the case nintendo could release a new console with the same vc crap and we would count those as great games/additions again?

regarding the hacks, im not saying people shouldnt have lives.
All im saying there are certain people here that just talk bs, certain people that will hype bs, and there are a few who have shown what they are capable of but they are not willing to rls anything.

hence me saying, bad scene.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sure the sales will go up when Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be out. Everyone's gonna jump in the hype. All the hardcore SSB and probably new comers who are interested in the game will get one. Holiday is almost here. Black Friday is coming. Everyone will be expecting to buy something.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
there wasnt even such a thing as casual gaming on the nes/snes, so they have not always been casual.
And i have paid for all those games 20 years ago..why would i rebuy the same games that i already know/own and have finished? Sorry VC crap doesnt count imo.
If that were the case nintendo could release a new console with the same vc crap and we would count those as great games/additions again?

regarding the hacks, im not saying people shouldnt have lives.
All im saying there are certain people here that just talk bs, certain people that will hype bs, and there are a few who have shown what they are capable of but they are not willing to rls anything.

hence me saying, bad scene.

I'm playing Devil's advocate here. There arguably wasn't even a causal vs hardcore at the time either, I'm referring to when there was a clear definition between "casual" and hardcore". Nintendo have always LEANED towards casual, but also have a touch of hardcore on their systems. Your next point is fair, IF I had bought those games 20 years ago. As someone who didn't own any of those, having access to all these games without having to buy first a system then the game(which in Earthbound/Chrono Trigger's sake would have cost me quite a lot) is nice, since I get to experience games that otherwise I wouldn't have been able to as easily. And they already HAVE released a game with all that "crap" you talk about, and it's a hit. It's called NES remix, and it would let people play their old games in brand-new ways. Your last statement I agree with, but don't forget to add "and people who have something but it's unfinished and are too busy with their regular lives to work on it actively/release"

Also keep in mind I never countered your bad scene statement, I just asked you some questions.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiU sales would increase if they gave away a few VC titles a month.

Which won't happen, because Nintendo of America has a very piss poor way of handling the VC. Europe and Japan get much better and more consistent releases. This is why I use unofficial emulators and a crap load of Snes games in vWii mode :creep: I've given up on the VC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.