Hacking Will Wii U sales go up as soon as homebrew is possible?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
None of the White Knights here are gonna support that. Might as well stick with the 3DS scene, which is, like, amazing now.

Anyone that tells you they are looking forward to homebrew to play pong are pulling your pisser m8!

Edit: Foxi, I am only interested in homebrew to play back ups and I'm not ashamed to say either! If peeps don't like it, then that is just there own opinion.

Reactions: Huntereb

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sales boost from homebrew and/or piracy will be very small, if not negligible.

Here is the thing, those that will go through the trouble of hacking their console is a fraction among many.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, sales of Wii U consoles will not rise in a significant way (not even 1%) due to the possibility of homebrew.
Sales are driven by marketing.
Most console buyers don't have money problems (to recourse to piracy) and only care about having a console THEY KNOW OR HEARD ABOUT with games they HEARD THEY WANT (yes, marketing).
When we talk about the big number of consumers, they couldn't care less about the possibility of homebrew or piracy.
Actually, the possibility of straight homebrew is even less important than piracy for the big mass of video game console consumers (so it will raise sales even less than piracy).
You should accept that people that care about homebrew, like most of us here in GBAtemp, are a minority regarding the sales of any game console.
Also, the only places where piracy is practically a must is third world countries, and you know around 50% of consoles are sold in USA, some 12% are sold in Japan and most of the remaining 38% are sold in western Europe (based on Wii sale figures, but the proportions can apply to most consoles). Those places are not third world countries and have no money problems.

The main reasons for good sales numbers are IMHO in the following order:
1. Good marketing.
2. Good content (games)
3. Good market price and timing compared to the competition.
4. (Probably the least important) Good up to date hardware compared to the competition.

Nintendo failed completely in the first and most important point during launch, and regarding points 2 and 3 it is OK and is not so bad in point 4 as people make it look.
I think Nintendo is improving a lot lately regarding marketing, but it is difficult to get up after naming your console so wrong and having a first year with such a few games and publicity.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
No, sales of Wii U consoles will not rise in a significant way (not even 1%) due to the possibility of homebrew.
Sales are driven by marketing.
Most console buyers don't have money problems (to recourse to piracy) and only care about having a console THEY KNOW OR HEARD ABOUT with games they HEARD THEY WANT (yes, marketing).
When we talk about the big number of consumers, they couldn't care less about the possibility of homebrew or piracy.
Actually, the possibility of straight homebrew is even less important than piracy for the big mass of video game console consumers (so it will raise sales even less than piracy).
You should accept that people that care about homebrew, like most of us here in GBAtemp, are a minority regarding the sales of any game console.
Also, the only places where piracy is practically a must is third world countries, and you know around 50% of consoles are sold in USA, some 12% are sold in Japan and most of the remaining 38% are sold in western Europe (based on Wii sale figures, but the proportions can apply to most consoles). Those places are not third world countries and have no money problems.

The main reasons for good sales numbers are IMHO in the following order:
1. Good marketing.
2. Good content (games)
3. Good market price and timing compared to the competition.
4. (Probably the least important) Good up to date hardware compared to the competition.

Nintendo failed completely in the first and most important point during launch, and regarding points 2 and 3 it is OK and is not so bad in point 4 as people make it look.
I think Nintendo is improving a lot lately regarding marketing, but it is difficult to get up after naming your console so wrong and having a first year with such a few games and publicity.

That comment is absolute rubbish!!! so your saying anyone who wants to run piracy on there home console is a penniless bum so are you saying I'm a penniless bum? remember you have to pay good money in the first place to buy the console so that comment sort of back fires on itself! and I would of thought that also goes for the millions of others out there, what a stupid comment to make! :wacko:

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That comment is absolute rubbish!!! so your saying anyone who wants to run piracy on there home console is a penniless bum so are you saying I'm a penniless bum? remember you have to pay good money in the first place to buy the console so that comment sort of back fires on itself! and I would of thought that also goes for the millions of others out there, what a stupid comment to make! :wacko:

I am saying you do not count at all, you are irrelevant, negligible, people with no money problems that decide to buy a console based on its possibility to run pirated content do not even account to the 1%.
You are not part of the big numbers, only one console sold or not, you do not count at all.
As I said already, consoles with piracy enabled are a MUST in third world countries.
Do you understand what the word must means?
I will give you an example, in Argentina in the times of the PS1, the consoles were sold chipped (piracy enabled) directly from your video game stores.
It was a commonplace that all around the place video game stores sold pirated CDs.
The same happened during PS2, and it happened before with cartridge systems (most games being counterfeits coming from China).
If you sold video game consoles, you had to sell them piracy enabled to to almost every fucking buyer in order to compete, if you didn't sell chipped then you didn't sell at all. That does not happen in the USA.
If you are now able to understand what the big number of consumers means, good for you.
If you cannot understand that I don't give a fuck.

Anyway, and as I said before, Argentina, China and the rest of the world where piracy is true commonplace does not matter to sales of video games consoles, almost 100% are sold in USA, western Europe and Japan.
Nevertheless, none so blind as those who will not see.

PS: And regarding the comment of "you have to pay a lot for consoles in the first place", I tell you, I lived in Argentina for more than 27 years, I know how it works. And there, consoles cost a fuck of a lot, but games also cost a bigger fuck of a lot. You can compare the price buying a videogame console with three or so months of an apartment rent.
People that save a lot to buy one, don't want to pay the equivalent to another couple months of rent for games.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
I am saying you do not count at all, you are irrelevant, negligible.
You are not part of the big numbers, only one console sold or not, you do not count at all.
As I said already, consoles with piracy enabled are a MUST in third world countries.
Do you understand what the word must means?
I will give you an example, in Argentina in the times of the PS1, the consoles were sold chipped (piracy enabled) directly from your video game stores.
It was a commonplace that all around the place video game stores sold pirated CDs.
The same happened during PS2, and it happened before with cartridge systems (most games being counterfeits coming from China).
If you sold video game consoles, you had to sell them piracy enabled to to almost every fucking buyer in order to compete, if you didn't sell chipped then you didn't sell at all. That does not happen in the USA.
If you are now able to understand what the big number of consumers means, good for you.
If you cannot understand that I don't give a fuck.

Anyway, and as I said before, Argentina, China and the rest of the world where piracy is true commonplace does not matter to sales of video games consoles, almost 100% are sold in USA, western Europe and Japan.
Nevertheless, none so blind as those who will not see.

PS: And regarding the comment of "you have to pay a lot for consoles in the first place", I tell you, I lived in Argentina for more than 27 years, I know how it works. And there, consoles cost a fuck of a lot, but games also cost a bigger fuck of a lot. You can compare the price buying a videogame console with three or so months of an apartment rent.
People that save a lot to buy one, don't want to pay the equivalent to another couple months of rent for games.

I don't understand how your coming across at all with your comments? are you saying then your defending the people that buy consoles for pirating because there not rich enough to buy game after game cause a game costs alot of money so its acceptable or are you saying that people only pirate because of money problems so that means there a bum for doing it so piracy only seems to attract that sort of person?

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't understand how your coming across at all with your comments? are you saying then your defending the people that buy consoles for pirating because there not rich enough to buy game after game cause a game costs alot of money in your country so its acceptable or are you saying that people only pirate because of money problems so that means there a bum for doing it so piracy only seems to attract that sort of person?

I am not defending anyone, I don't care if people pirate or not.
What I am trying to get across is the fact that most people -that buy a lot of consoles- (first world people) don't decide to buy a console based on the possibility for piracy, but because of other factors.
Also, I don't live in Argentina anymore, and I can tell you it is so easy and cheap to buy legitimate games in here (Germany) compared to Argentina that I understand why so many less people pirate.

PS: People do not pirate only because of money problems. But when there are money problems, or better said, when games are stupidly expensive compared to other goods (high opportunity cost), people tend to say fuck buying games, their price is stupid, let's pirate them.

I could make some other analogies of why people pirate more in third world countries, but it always comes to opportunity cost.
One example is that in there modding is grey area, it is like illegal but not prosecuted, so people can get things modded out of the store.
Another reason is social pressure, in there no one will look down on you because you pirate.
All this adds to an incentive for piracy.

Also I edited the previous comment and this comment, and I see I did it after you answered, maybe I put some interesting detail or maybe not. Meh. I just wanted to make it clearer.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ugh...another one of THESE threads. Good thing people seem to already agree with what I'm about to say.

First things first: homebrew is ALREADY POSSIBLE. It can run (nearly?) every piece of homebrew of the wii, so that's really a non-issue. Which obviously leaves just the one thing so commonly used in homebrew it's almost a synonym (although homebrew coders try very hard to go against that sort of thinking).

So...will wiiu sales go up once PIRACY is easily doable? In my opinion: no. The wii sold over hundred million units. Estimates of hacked machines are at best a fraction of that (say 5 percent maximum). Of said fraction, the majority knows that firmware plays into things and buys their console early, just in case a firmware update fixes a potential exploitable bug. Which means that the amount of people who would buy a wiiu if it had easy piracy is the minority of a fraction of the wii audience. And of course...that's assuming they WANT to play wiiu games. Perhaps the most defining thing with pirates is that they're buried under games they haven't played yet. Why would they want to go out and actually spend money on a new console if they already have many dozens or hundreds of (for them: free) games they haven't played yet?

Okay, perhaps it may lead to a temporal spike in sales. But it certainly won't increase the sales on the long run.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But... the N64 and the Gamecube both flopped.

Foxi......for some reason your contrary attitude is really bumming me out :unsure:

N64 did what like 35mil which was less than half of what PSX did....not a flop but honestly I always found N64 grafx to be murky and that controller was funky. It is totally amazing the Zelda OoT was done in 32MB.

Now just stop picking on cube......yes it was Nintendo's biggest failure this side of virtual boy, but it did do close to 25mil which is about what the newly minted xbox brand did Cube deserved better because it had an awesome library that still holds up great. I have (re) played a lot of cube in the last year on WiiU using mostly Devolution. I loved PS2 but great game for game Cube holds up better IMO. Those games should have been on VC at launch and still should be. Nintendo got a good amount of quality 3rd party on GC yet it turned out to be a 'failure'.

I am going to play Time Splitters 3........why can't we have a 4 on WiiU.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi......for some reason your contrary attitude is really bumming me out :unsure:

N64 did what like 35mil which was less than half of what PSX did....not a flop but honestly I always found N64 grafx to be murky and that controller was funky. It is totally amazing the Zelda OoT was done in 32MB.

Now just stop picking on cube......yes it was Nintendo's biggest failure this side of virtual boy, but it did do close to 25mil which is about what the newly minted xbox brand did Cube deserved better because it had an awesome library that still holds up great. I have (re) played a lot of cube in the last year on WiiU using mostly Devolution. I loved PS2 but great game for game Cube holds up better IMO. Those games should have been on VC at launch and still should be. Nintendo got a good amount of quality 3rd party on GC yet it turned out to be a 'failure'.

I am going to play Time Splitters 3........why can't we have a 4 on WiiU.
The N64 sold 32 mil, yes, but 20+ million of those consoles were sold exclusively in the Americas. The system practically didn't exist in Europe and Japan and the size of the games library is a testament of that. The Gamecube on the other hand was a good system, but it was released at the wrong time and it failed to catch on with the rise of DVD, or multimedia in general, really. Both systems have some gems, but they're not exactly examples of Nintendo at its prime - they're both plagued by almost amateur design flaws. Not terrible systems by no means, but they pale in comparison to their prime competitors in many areas. Coming from Nintendo, previously an industry leader, they were a tad on the disappointing side of the spectrum. ;)

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean "as soon as piracy is possible", then YES!! YES!!!!!!.. I think as soon as the wii-u is hacked, wii-u will suddenly take a HUGE 9000%+ spike in sales!....
People all over the world will throw their PS4s in to the trash-compactor, and flock like crazed zombies to the nearest wii-u they can get their rotting hands on..
Sony will file for bankruptcy the week after wii-u is hacked....Sony president will commit public seppuku, televised live through-out the world.. Sony didn't stand a chance..
Shigeru miyamoto will then slide hands down his flag-pole and say "MARIO NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!!!!"
:nayps3: :yayu:

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
3DS scene still seems like it's min it's infancy, nobody knows jack shit about what's in the SoC and nobody has yet to blow the system wide open without a stupid 4.5 exploit. Until there's a CFW running on a SysNAND on a firmware over 4.5, color me unimpressed.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Being pirate enabled, i'd assume the wii u will probably sell 75-100% better per month than what it currently is....But even so, in real numbers, it only means an extra 20-30 consoles sold a month.

*ducks for cover*

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I don't understand how your coming across at all with your comments? are you saying then your defending the people that buy consoles for pirating because there not rich enough to buy game after game cause a game costs alot of money so its acceptable or are you saying that people only pirate because of money problems so that means there a bum for doing it so piracy only seems to attract that sort of person?

Xbox 360 was always hackable but it was not the reason why the sales were so good but due to its library and the yearly Xbox LIVE Gold memberships. Guess you could also include re-buying the consoles but primarily it's more important of its software than anything else.

So yeah, pirates don't really count when it comes to console sales.

The system practically didn't exist in Europe

I remember seeing N64 games as a kid go for £45 (at Currys) which is quite overpriced but now they're holding their value for those that kept the boxes, manuals, carts and all in excellent shape.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the demographic of the typical consol hacker?

Every kid in my neighboorhood at least had a Wii and DS and probably more. No one had a hacked unit except me and when I woukd explain it to the parents they were totally not interested. There was one dad that would buy these carts from China that came with 50 or so games on them. I tried explaining that it was essentially the same thing as the Acekard my kids had but we selected what games to load. Nope not interested, what he was doing was legit. :)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
What is the demographic of the typical consol hacker?

Every kid in my neighboorhood at least had a Wii and DS and probably more. No one had a hacked unit except me and when I woukd explain it to the parents they were totally not interested. There was one dad that would buy these carts from China that came with 50 or so games on them. I tried explaining that it was essentially the same thing as the Acekard my kids had but we selected what games to load. Nope not interested, what he was doing was legit. :)

The ol' folks from the 80's and 90's grew up with official and pirate carts so I see why he'd prefer to buy 50-in-1 carts over a flashcart, for nostalgia mostly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whoo flamebaity thread.

Will there be some sales? I imagine so, especially if homebrew extends to copied and hacked games. Equally if it becomes the superior (or superior and easy like Wii GC component vs component on the GC, assuming you did not get in there early) method of doing Wii stuff I could see something happen. Doubly so if the Wii U has some exclusives worth speaking of, thankfully such things would seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

Will said sales be statistically changed at a notable level? Doubtful.

Will said sales be statistically measurable? That would be the question for the ages. I am going with "it would be hard", doubly so if there is any kind of financial or skill investment for doing said hacks.

Generally though it does not have an especially interesting controller (and we have good controllers, readily available and widely supported from the OS down to the controller maps people use, outside of consoles these days), devices that go into my TV and run my own code (any number of android devices already on the market), devices that go into my TV (if not my TV itself) that have all the services a hacked and homebrew enabled version of the device will get me. There is absolutely a place for coders and tinkerers to make things that the bigger devs/device makers are unwilling or unable (licensing, software patents, kneecapping another of their revenue streams, not enough return, general pig ignorance....) to do, however I do not see the Wii U as being an especially appealing platform for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!