Will there be a Switch Flashcard?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by MasterPeter, Oct 10, 2017.

1. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Hell, it goes beyond Nintendo, Everdrive alone has done a good job of providing most old systems with a flashcard of some sort: NES, Master System, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, N64, GB(C), Game Gear, GBA

Then of course you have a billion different R4 flashcards for the DS, the 3DS has a few with the most notable being Gateway, and even the Vita has the Cobra Black Fin. Even the Atari 2600 has one called Harmony Flash Cart.

I'm sure there are a few much less popular cartridge-based systems that never got such a device, but it seems apparent that if your system is cartridge based, it likely can have some sort of flashcart. Seems the only factor is really going to come down to the security of the system, hence why seemingly any old cartridge-based system could have a flashcart made for it if there is enough interest in such a device to get the likes of Everdrive to make one. Hell, I bet the Pokemon mini could have a flashcart made for it if anyone actually cared about having such a thing.

Edit: Nevermind my hypothetical there, there actually already are a bunch of freaking Pokemon Mini flashcards: http://www.pokemon-mini.net/flash-carts/

Last edited by duffmmann, Oct 11, 2017 at 6:08 PM
    TotalInsanity4 and Subtle Demise like this.

2. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Are you that bad at math? That flashcart costs less than 2 games. If you include the cost of storage, you are talking about 3 games at most. You are going to get somewhere between 30 and 300 games. What's better 2 games or every game? Yeesh, you are bad at math.

Tilde88 likes this.
  3. Valkyy

Valkyy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2017
    United States
    Hmm, idk. Earth maybe?
    No, I'm not bad at math. I am well aware that I could play like 30 games for a $90 dollar flashcart, and that would be really worth the money, but in my opinion I think it's better to just buy the games and play them. Yes I know that's really messed up, but, oh well. I guess I might try in the future. who knows.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ
    >the vita had a flashcart
    >w h a t

5. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
  6. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    But will there be a fleshlight for the switch? That's the question...

acidmango, MeowMeowMeow and KiiWii like this.
  7. senas8

senas8 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2011
    United States
    I’m thinking if the switch could have played 3ds games.. having an extra slot for the 3ds cartridge.. it would have been very nice.. using existing hacks for 3ds may have put us into hacking the switch too. Kind of like psp games for ps vita did.

8. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Eventually there might be a Sky3DS style cart that emulates retail cartridges. If there is they should just make the FW upgradable since that's clearly still possible when cart emulating

9. aykay55

aykay55 The Ideas Guy, Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    No, what about a disk we put into our computer, put ROMs on, put the disk in and run the game.

10. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    you know people will take this seriously right?:lol:

11. Xathya

Xathya GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2017
    Australia
    green hil zone
    in honest i working man can afford the game but what i do not the want is cary all my gems around like a stone ageboy, i want o be able to play all the games when i want.!!! but i also want to put the games covers on my shelves and suc. i like the physical box!!

12. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    That's pretty much where things are heading. The retail boxes will contain download codes instead of physical copies of the game.

13. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    The Switch sales continue to rise. It´s only a matter of time before we get the first Flashcard solution.

digipimp75 likes this.
  14. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    "like the ds lite"...
    not like the original ds.
    not like the game boy.
    not like gba.
    not like the 3ds.
    not like even the wonderswan.

but like the ds lite.

15. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    You are claiming that all it takes is for the flashcart to be a bit cheaper. How much cheaper? $30? You think buying games is better, fine. But it comes down to that little money? It's really weird to make a distinction that fine for a theoretical product years before it actually exists. I don't know if I'd buy such a thing. I don't even have a Switch yet. I don't even have a job. Maybe when the flashcart comes out I'll be making 6 figures. I'm not going to make the decision on the theoretical price I'd pay for a theoretical product long before it actually exists. I'm going to wait until it's real and make a decision then.

16. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Gateway? Might as well come out in the next millennia.

17. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    We may see a flashcart, but honestly I suspect that software hacks will happen before a traditional flashcart does.

18. Xathya

Xathya GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2017
    Australia
    green hil zone
    i personal woud gadly axcept this but i do wory for my nice boys who dont have the fast internets and has to wait very long for download. i had friend who had to wait 3 days for gta 5 to downloa d even tho he specific bout the disc to avoid dis..

19. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    High speed broadband and cellular should be a lot cheaper and prevalent than it is considering it's 2017. There should be some sort of Global effort to make this happen.

Xathya and cearp like this.
  20. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States