Hacking Will the Gateway 3DS allow homebrew (N64 Emulation)?

alexg1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP could at least get n64 games to run on Daedalusx64, with some at very playable speeds (Mario 64, Star Fox, Smash Bros') but it still has a ton of issues. With the 3DS being more powerful, what are the odds a better emulator could be made, and would the Gateway 3DS even allow it?

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP could at least get n64 games to run on Daedalusx64, with some at very playable speeds (Mario 64, Star Fox, Smash Bros') but it still has a ton of issues. With the 3DS being more powerful, what are the odds a better emulator could be made, and would the Gateway 3DS even allow it?

Even if a native full-on 3DS-mode emulator were to appear for N64, it wouldn't run very well at all. In fact, it'd do worse than the PSP one. By FAR. The most you'll see is likely to be SNES, in terms of Nintendo. PSX is also incredibly unlikely. The architecture of the system needs to be taken into account, as well. 3DS isn't exactly the "emulating machine" that the PSP was, despite being more powerful.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even if a native full-on 3DS-mode emulator were to appear for N64, it wouldn't run very well at all. In fact, it'd do worse than the PSP one. By FAR. The most you'll see is likely to be SNES, in terms of Nintendo. PSX is also incredibly unlikely. The architecture of the system needs to be taken into account, as well. 3DS isn't exactly the "emulating machine" that the PSP was, despite being more powerful.

PSP's N64 emu is also pretty much a proof of concept.

I honestly think that the 3DS is able to emulate some N64 games, given time and lots of speedhacks/optimization.
PS1 is more likely (DSTwo is able to emulate the PS1 and Dingoo is also able to emulate it)

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP's N64 emu is also pretty much a proof of concept.

I honestly think that the 3DS is able to emulate some N64 games, given time and lots of speedhacks/optimization.
PS1 is more likely (DSTwo is able to emulate the PS1 and Dingoo is also able to emulate it)

No, it wasn't "proof of concept" - and no, the 3DS won't be able to emulate either PS1 nor N64. Highly unlikely.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP couldn't run N64 games worth crap, a whole 10-15 FPS at most. Impressive, and the 3DS and PSP can't be compared in terms of raw power as they're two very different architectures, ARM versus MIPS. We don't know what can be run on there, PSX is a maybe, N64 probably not. The N64 on the PSP sucks balls.

jastolze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Daedalus N64 Emu for PSP also took like 4 to 5 years to become a playable speed. So, if it does get an N64 emu, then don't expect good compatibility for at least a couple years - Even IF the specs are a bit higher than the PSP.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, it wasn't "proof of concept" - and no, the 3DS won't be able to emulate either PS1 nor N64. Highly unlikely.

Daedalus started as a proof of concept.
It took a long time before Super mario 64 became playable.
I don't call an emu that needs a lot of different speedhacks and other optimizations to run a game a "playable" emulator.
It's still more of a POC then a fully working one.
It just happens that the Daedalus devs where able to push the PSP to the extreme.
Well that and the release of the 2000 PSP's with 64MB of RAM also helped a lot.

PS1 is easier to emulate then the N64 tho.
Seeing that the DSTwo is hardware wise exactly the same as the Dingoo the two can emulate the PS1
DSTwo is only able to emulate the PS1 in DSTwo linux.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daedalus started as a proof of concept.
It took a long time before Super mario 64 became playable.
I don't call an emu that needs a lot of different speedhacks and other optimizations to run a game a "playable" emulator.
It's still more of a POC then a fully working one.
It just happens that the Daedalus devs where able to push the PSP to the extreme.
Well that and the release of the 2000 PSP's with 64MB of RAM also helped a lot.

PS1 is easier to emulate then the N64 tho.
Seeing that the DSTwo is hardware wise exactly the same as the Dingoo the two can emulate the PS1
DSTwo is only able to emulate the PS1 in DSTwo linux.

Super Mario 64 was playable pretty darn fast. It was more than a proof-of-concept deal. Smash and Zelda work, as do MANY others.
And there's a different between proof-of-concept and 'working emulator'. Just becuase compatibility isn't the greatest, doesn't make it "proof-of-concept".
You can't multiply yellow by a fork. Doesn't make sense. - and it's not about "pushing it to its extreme" - in fact, it probably didn't. The architectural differences play a LARGE role. And the 64mb ram didn't do as much as you think.

THe PS1 is very playable on the PSP due to the architectural similarities.

I don't think you should attempt to spill facts without knowing your information. Please stop trying to convince others you know what you're tlaking about. It's much more complicated than you think, sir.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Super Mario 64 was playable pretty darn fast. It was more than a proof-of-concept deal. Smash and Zelda work, as do MANY others.
And there's a different between proof-of-concept and 'working emulator'. Just becuase compatibility isn't the greatest, doesn't make it "proof-of-concept".
You can't multiply yellow by a fork. Doesn't make sense. - and it's not about "pushing it to its extreme" - in fact, it probably didn't. The architectural differences play a LARGE role. And the 64mb ram didn't do as much as you think.

THe PS1 is very playable on the PSP due to the architectural similarities.

I don't think you should attempt to spill facts without knowing your information. Please stop trying to convince others you know what you're tlaking about. It's much more complicated than you think, sir.

Begin days of the PSP the N64 emu was made as a POC.
It worked so they improved on it.
And the 64 MB of the 2000 kits really did do a lot for the emu.
It's far smoother to play on a 2000 then a 1000 with Daedalus.

And I'm talking about the PS1 emu on the DSTwo/Dingoo.
Not the PSP.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't listen to these people. The 3DS is definitely powerful enough for an N64 emulator. Don't expect it playable day 1, or even ever completely full speed, but after a while of optimizations its more than plausible. Funny you would think a bunch of Nintendo fans would be less pessimistic, you know with dealing with the Wii U's failure and all. The extra power from the 3DS makes up for it not being the right architecture compared to PSP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)