Hacking Will the 3D effect work on my friend?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Strabismus might lower the effect, but if it's not severe, it shouldn't influence it much. He can expect the image to be dissorted though. A paralax barrier works differently then stereoscopic vision.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
• Myopia doesn't affect 3D at all. it's just a focus problem, far objects appears blurry. But 3DS should be place near the player. And usually, Myopia people wear glasses.
It doesn't affect seeing "far object in 3D on the 3DS", it's the 3DS position itself which define the light distance between the object and the user.

• Astigmatism should depend on the strength he has. I think it usually affect little details, like letters. if he has the same strength to both eyes, then I guess each projected image should be interpreted the same way, so there's a chance he can see 3D, but maybe only on big objects.

•Strabismus is the one I fear the most. 3DS send each image straight to the player. If he has 1 or both eyes not seeing the image as they should (supperposing each other) he will see 3D the same way you do looking at a 2D video of the 3DS : you see the 2D image with ghosts effect.
Again, it will mainly depend on the strabismus strength. some people have both eyes really far apart from each other, while other only have 1 eye slightly away from the center.

The best way to know will be to let him test on the real hardware.

I guess that if he already has troubles seeing 3D on movies, he will have with 3DS too. I guess his strabismus is too much pronounced.

PS : don't take all that for granted, I only commented on my own knowledge of each pathology. I'm not an optician.
As I said, the best way is to try.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cyan said:
• Myopia doesn't affect 3D at all. it's just a focus problem, far objects appears blurry. But 3DS should be place near the player. And usually, Myopia people wear glasses.
It doesn't affect seeing "far object in 3D on the 3DS", it's the 3DS position itself which define the light distance between the object and the user.

• Astigmatism should depend on the strength he has. I think it usually affect little details, like letters. if he has the same strength to both eyes, then I guess each projected image should be interpreted the same way, so there's a chance he can see 3D, but maybe only on big objects.

•Strabismus is the one I fear the most. 3DS send each image straight to the player. If he has 1 or both eyes not seeing the image as they should (supperposing each other) he will see 3D the same way you do looking at a 2D video of the 3DS : you see the 2D image with ghosts effect.
Again, it will mainly depend on the strabismus strength. some people have both eyes really far apart from each other, while other only have 1 eye slightly away from the center.

The best way to know will be to let him test on the real hardware.

I guess that if he already has troubles seeing 3D on movies, he will have with 3DS too. I guess his strabismus is too much pronounced.

PS : don't take all that for granted, I only commented on my own knowledge of each pathology. I'm not an optician.
As I said, the best way is to try.
it's far more common that people don't see 3d from a distance (3d movie) than from up close so chanses are he can see it just fine, indeed best way is to try

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
3DS =/= Stereoscopic Image

The console uses a paralax barrier. Slits of the same image are sent to either the left or the right eye. Unless your friend's strabismus is severe enough that he can check what's behind him without turning his head, the dissortion will be minimal. Everything depends on how much your friend's eyesight is affected by his problems.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Foxi4 said:
3DS =/= Stereoscopic Image
WikipediaStereoscopy (also called stereoscopic or 3-D imaging) refers to a technique for creating or enhancing the illusion of depth in an image by presenting two offset images separately to the left and right eye of the viewer. Both of these 2-D offset images are then combined in the brain to give the perception of 3-D depth. Three strategies have been used to accomplish this: have the viewer wear eyeglasses to combine separate images from two offset sources, have the viewer wear eyeglasses to filter offset images from a single source separated to each eye, or have the lightsource split the images directionally into the viewer's eyes (no glasses required).

The parallax barrier is the method used to send a different image to each eye, but it's still stereoscopic 3D.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Click me!

What I'm trying to say here is that there is 1 3D scene generated, and the alteration of it is executed already on the display by separating the background from the foreground and displaying them on interchanging slits. The distance between the image and the viewer is minimal, so the shift in model position on the screen is minimal.

The difference between a standard stereoscopic image and this is that if you merge the 2 offsets of a stereo image, you will see differences between the two. In the 3DS's case, the two merged offsets will create 1 image with no "obvious" differences, at least in theory.

In any case, the screen is really close to the viewer, so the 3D will be clearer than for example cinema 3D. As it was previously stated, it's best to actually test it out. Adjusting the slider (making the slits thinner or wider) might also help in focusing the image for a person with eyesight defects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you