Hardware Will five volts damage the N3DS?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,595
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm planning on taking a trip overseas soon and my 3DS charger only accepts 230-240 volts which makes it useless without an expensive and heavy voltage transformer.

The official 3DS charger outputs 4.6 volts 0.9 amps. I have a USB power adapter at home which accepts 100-240 volts and outputs 5 volts 1.2 amps. A cheap USB to 3DS charge cable can charge my N3DS using both my USB power adapter and powerbank.

I don't care if this will slightly damage my N3DS battery, I just don't want the thing to burst up in flames. And are you allowed to use powerbanks on planes?

D

Deleted User

OP
I safely charge my n3ds with 10v 2-4a your powerbank shouldn't damage it if your not leaving it overnight

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I safely charge my n3ds with 10v 2-4a your powerbank shouldn't damage it if your not leaving it overnight

No you dont. 10V would instant kill the 3ds. You are using most propably a device which supports quickcharge. That means the device regulates the used voltage, if it doesnt support it it will get only 5V.

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
While voltage is important and a big difference between the charger and the receiver could damage that receiver, is not the main factor.

What is important is the current. If you give more current that your device actually needs, then it can burn the circuit and cause a fire/damage.

I dont think that 1.2amps (from your USB charger) would damage a 0.9A device (voltage difference is minimal, wont affect at all), and yes you can use Battery Banks on plains, but there is a limit (for example 50000 mah EDIT: It depends on the Watts per hour, so multiply the Ah of the battery and the voltage). That limit depends on the company, so ask them before your flight.

No you dont. 10V would instant kill the 3ds. You are using most propably a device which supports quickcharge. That means the device regulates the used voltage, if it doesnt support it it will get only 5V.

Like i said, it could damage the device, but 10 V would not insta kill a 3DS. On the other hand, 2 amps could reduce the battery life of the 3DS, but it would definitely work.

Last edited by alexj9626,

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Like i said, it could damage the device, but 10 V would not insta kill a 3DS. On the other hand, 2 amps could reduce the battery life of the 3DS, but it would definitely work.

I am not really sure if you understand electronics or I just don't understand you. You can charge a battery with 10+A devices without problem because this value is a maximum value. You can try to measure it if you want I did that enough times. The battery never uses that much A it just takes as much as it is specified for. And this applies to any consumer electronics with regular chargers/powerbanks. Only overvoltage (V) will kill the devices if they are not build to withstand it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM