• Assassin's Creed III - 260 000 copies sold on Wii U
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 190 000 copies sold on Wii U
  • Call of Duty: BlackOps 2 - 240 000 copies sold on Wii U
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts - 180 000 copies sold on Wii U
  • Darksiders 2 - 110 000 copies sold on Wii U
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Black List - 70 000 copies sold on Wii U
  • ZombiU - 710 000 copies sold on Wii U
  • Resident Evil: Revelations - 90 000 copies sold on Wii U
I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm just seeing a pattern emerge. I sincerely doubt that any of those games even came close to breaking even, they're all sub-1 million units sold, and that fills me with concern.

Meanwhile back in Nintendo land, Super Mario 3D World sold 2.3 million copies - that's more than three times the sales of ZombiU.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too much hype for a bullshit game. They aren't even trying to hide that it only panders to the lowest common denominator.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm just seeing a pattern emerge.

The only pattern I'm seeing is multiplatform games selling poorly on the Wii U, which is understandable I guess. I can't imagine anyone getting a Wii U to play Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. Bayonetta 2 is an exclusive, though, so that alone will guarantee better sales. Comparing sales of multiplatform releases in Wii U's case is pointless, and ZombiU illustrates that quite well. It's the only exclusive on the list, and that alone meant it sold so much better than the rest. And on that note, ZombiU never got the love it deserved.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The whole "multiplatform games argument" only works if we assume that every Wii U owner also has a PS4/XBOne/Gaming PC to compensate for the Wii U's flaws - if you only have a Wii U, you don't get to pick and choose. With that in mind, the sales are pitiful.

ZombiU has the highest result there simply because it was a launch game that was a part of one of the bundles, not just because it's exclusive and even it underperformed and did not break even.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
The whole "multiplatform games argument" only works if we assume that every Wii U owner also has a PS4/XBOne/Gaming PC to compensate for the Wii U's flaws - if you only have a Wii U, you don't get to pick and choose.

The multiplatform argument is simply valid. You don't buy a Wii U to play these games. Target audience for those is on other platforms. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with porting them. You want to play just the third Mass Effect or latest AC games on the Wii U? You can, but most would not want to. People interested in those games bought other platforms with good enough sales to guarantee sequels.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Omnicron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The whole "multiplatform games argument" only works if we assume that every Wii U owner also has a PS4/XBOne/Gaming PC to compensate for the Wii U's flaws - if you only have a Wii U, you don't get to pick and choose. With that in mind, the sales are pitiful.

ZombiU has the highest result there simply because it was a launch game that was a part of one of the bundles, not just because it's exclusive and even it underperformed and did not break even.

All those games were also available for to PS3 and Xbox 360 except ZombieU. Also most of the ports were bad or crippled with no DLC and late coming to the Wii U and costing $60 for basically a old game that can be had for $20 on other systems.

I am sure if Nintendo released Mario Kart for the Xbox One and PS4 8 months from now that ran at 20fps with no dlc and charged $70 it won't sell.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
We have to be realistic here.
I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm just seeing a pattern emerge. I sincerely doubt that any of those games even came close to breaking even, they're all sub-1 million units sold, and that fills me with concern.

Meanwhile back in Nintendo land, Super Mario 3D World sold 2.3 million copies - that's more than three times the sales of ZombiU.

It's also about 3 times better than Zombi U.
Also Assasins creed 3 to me was the worst game I've ever played.
On the other hand AC4 is probably my game of the year, go figure.
Who are these people buying games anyway?
Relative to the Wii U console, if a game sells bad it does not automaticly mean those are bad games.
At least Nintendo's first and second party games are more than enough of a reason to get the console.
Everything els is just pure bonus to me to be honest, and I am perfectly fine with that.
If you want those other "one day fly"games get them on your overpriced "state of the art, but still nothing compared to a current spec PC" console.
A Nintendo console is for Nintendo games, period. Nothing more and nothing less. Everything else is, and feels like a bonus.
In the meantime be happy and enjoy games , not sales figures.
If you get what you like, WHAT YOU REALLY LIKE ( not what anybody else thinks is cool, even if it means to be an outcast ) you will lead a happier life.

Be-Yourself.jpg

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my opinion, I think it's obvious that the game won't do as well as anticipated due to poor Wii U sales. This isn't negativity, it's just facts and that is all based on the sales we see almost every week for the Wii U in Japan.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The average AAA title has to sell at least 1 million units to turn a profit - everything depends on the game's budget.
It will only become triple A if it sells wel.
Budget most of the time equals asset quality, development time and or licensencing.
Also advertisement is a factor.

In house games generally are cheaper to procude for this reason.
Exclusives to not need to be advertised in generall since they are exclusive to the the console.
Licensing is'nt a issue eitherdepending of the IP.
Seing it this way you can cleary figure out AAA first party titles do not "have"to sell as much copies as third party titles have to to profit.
Seeing Ninty's 1st party titles do really , really good, I understand Nintendo philosophy.
Nintendo's own productions stand firm as ever, while 3rd party devs struggle to make as many games as they can to break even, on the 2 other consoles.
The result is that most games "feel"the same ( a few do not ).
Do not even begin taking about ubisoft, the masters of rehashing formulas.
Rockstar and their GTA series...man, are those really worth buying a console?
I suppose this works both ways, thank god "you can pick out of 2 consoles" to play those games.

So please define average AAA title?
A game that is released on Multiplat ( 2 consoles, is that multiplat? ) is not an AAA title.
A "mature"game is not the definition of an AAA title.
Better graphics are not the definition of an AAA title.

To me an AAA title is a game that is original, fresh, stable, finished and a joy to play.
A game that makes you forget time. A game that that is immersive and a game you will have to work for in order to finish it. A game that rewards you, not a game that want you to buy DLC to play some more after you finished it. A game that serves it's genre. A game that is for ALL ages.
A game you want to preserve to play again, 25 years later.A game that is made with love and passion and not sales in mind.

In my opinion this can only be achieved if a dev holds Hardware, IP's and honesty, passion.

Nintendo stands or falls by it's 1st and 2nd party titles.
Other manufacturers stand or fall by third party support. ( who will generate or offer the most money )
development time is the most crucial, and Nintendo has as much as it wants for their titles.

Sorry for the typos, 1 hand typing here.....

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's not really a familiar IP, and those don't fly well on Nintendo consoles.

Basically the only franchises that get any attention on Nintendo consoles are the ones featured in Smash.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's not really a familiar IP, and those don't fly well on Nintendo consoles.

Basically the only franchises that get any attention on Nintendo consoles are the ones featured in Smash.
Ever been on the Nintendo E-Shop?
Nintendo advertises a lot, but only to their console owners, because they can , frankly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It doesn't matter if you "buy a Wii U for those games" or not - once you buy a Wii U, you have a Wii U, and the great majority of gamers don't have more than one platform to game on. Unless you're trying to push the idea that gamers just choose to skip on games, the whole argument doesn't make sense. We can ponder that in the ideal world people would buy games on the platform the game is superior on, but in that perfect world every gamer has a PS4/XBox One/Wii U/PS3/Xbox 360 and a gaming PC all hooked up, and we know that's just not the case. If you wish to stay in this perfect virtually improbable and imaginary world then that's fine by me - carry on not buying games on the Wii U because they're "inferior" to their PS4/Xbox One/PC counterparts, but I'm afraid that they always will be because the Wii U is an inferior system. It's in-between the 360/PS3 and the Xbox One/PS4 and so are the games. The very reason why it doesn't get support is because games don't sell on it, so unless Wii U gamers forget about their reservations and start buying content, there will be no more AAA titles on the platform, and the situation is shaping up in such a way that this scenario becomes more and more likely. Ubisoft already bailed out and they used to support the system big time. You might say that disappoints Wii U gamers, but Wii U gamers disappointed Ubisoft a number of times before this decision was made. The options here are pretty simple - a life cycle of first-party C.P.R versus actual support, provided people actually start buying games on the system.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have to be realistic here.

and how many of those games were missing features, released on other platforms first, or weren't well reviewed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn