Homebrew Will a functional NDS emulator cripple nintendo ?

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cripple nintendo? No, it wouldn't cripple them, it certainly would eat into their profits, because there is a lot of people who will play a lot more DS games through emulator that they wouldn't buy. (Most people have larger rom collections for GBA than they own games, at least in my experience.)

As far as using a graphics tablet, I think that would work fine, perhaps not if you have a cheap tablet, but with higher end models you could even regulate a portion of the tablet to be the ds lower screen, you wouldn't have to worry about going off the edge. Though most of my favorite games use the stylus in a way that's less than invasive (Castlevania, Advance Wars, etc) so it all depends as well.

Course there will always be problems, but generally speaking an emulator would eat some of their sales, but it wouldn't cripple the company. It's like comic books, most all DC/Marvel comic books you can download off the net, but both companies are way up statistically in sales, and while some people will say they actually care to have a comic book in there hands, most don't, and it can be an expensive hobby, and you'll find in life that people will settle (even for using a tablet with an emulator) if it saves them an arm and a leg. (I mean, otherwise people wouldn't be using Flashcarts.)

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LOL NO.
come on.

Anyways as everyone has stated GBA emu scene seems like it didnt even dent the sales of GBA games. If anything this type of Publicity of roms before the game comes out makes fan boys and others wanna buy the real deal so much more.

Anyways why play GBA and NDS on your PC when you have a PC that runs better games for a Desktop situation.
The handheld system is for when you cant play PC or Console games. LOL everyone should know that.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think an emulator for a handheld device will never do that much harm. People like to own the actual device since it is a handheld that they can take anywhere, unlike most PC's.

However, I am still against a DS emulator for PC. The least we can do is support Nintendo through hardware sales. And it is so worth it to own the DS, of all video game consoles.

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
To recreate a DS experience on a PC would cost more than buying a DS itself.. so why bother

Rayout

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The nice thing about handhelds is that to get most of the benefit, you need to have the actual system.

Even my friend who is a hardcore pirate (gets 0-day console releases, has a movie pass at blockbuster to pirate 3 movies a day) bought the original gba and quite a few games for it.

I think the proliferation of flashcarts will do much more harm than an emulator release. It's quite lame playing a touchscreen game without a touchscreen, though if they can get the Wi-fi to work on the emulator that would be a GREAT option for those who cannot otherwise have wireless access to play ds games online.

Even though I own a supercard SD, the actual number of games I play on it is very small: Castlevania, Metriod Pinball....well thats about it lol. I mostly use my DSL as a mp3/movie player.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, I am still against a DS emulator for PC. The least we can do is support Nintendo through hardware sales. And it is so worth it to own the DS, of all video game consoles.

Are you tell the truth ? I doubt you are against a ds emulator for PC. I think you are like us. Be honest.
smile.gif
rofl2.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To recreate a DS experience on a PC would cost more than buying a DS itself.. so why bother

Assuming that they would have bought it if an emulator didn't exist.

I sure wish I could have tested Spyro: Shadow Legacy on an emulator before I ran out and bought that piece of crap...

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's my rating level for the Spyro games:

PS1
Spyro The Dragon = Great.
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage = Excellent.
Spyro: Year Of The Dragon = Excellent.

GBA
Spyro: Season Of Ice = Good.
Spyro 2: Season Of Flame = The exact same game as Ice.
Spyro: Attack Of The Rhynocs = The exact same game as Flame which is the same as Ice.
Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy = Cheap franchise crossover.

GCN
Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly = Okay.
Spyro: A Hero's Tail = A step up from Dragonfly.

NDS
Spyro: Shadow Legacy = An unfinished game that has game ending glitches that make you start over from scratch and tasks that when done change back and forth from done and undone in your list and then let's not forget Vinvendi's awesome support of "Did you push the A button?"...gee thanks so much for that advice, why didn't I think of that...oh yeah...I did, and it told me I didn't have enough talismans when I just got done watching both talismans magically fly into the door.

EDIT: Deep breaths...

Zulithe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A gameboy advance emulator appeared very fast and it barely dented the sales, if you ask me.

emualtors are an extreamly "niche" thing. For most people, it even defeats the point: they want games they can play on the go, not on their pc. If they want PC games, they'll play Oblivion or something.

On the front of emulators though, we always see the same trend when a system is new and fresh: a flood of low-quality emulators that run maybe a demo or two, or a few screens from a commercial rom, then the creators abandon them and don't share the code.

I hope 1 or 2 emulators can rise above this and continue growing into excellent projects (like zsnes) so we can play our DS games on computers long after the system and games stop production.

timbojill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree with you. I want an NDS emulator that plays commerical roms now. Not ten years from now when the NDS is extinct.

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I think it does affect Nintendo...if it was the GBA. The ease of getting an emulator and roms was what made me not get a gba. I actually prefered the amount of configuration on the visualboy emu, where I could make games like pokemon yellow look better by using "real colour", and adjust the size etc.

However the Emu's for nds will be unsuccessful since like has been said the computer screen is unfortunately not a touch screen, and many people dont have those expensive touch screen monitors you get a electronic store checkouts, so even if somebody invented a emu where you could use the monitor as a touch screen, who would bother buying a touch screen just to play nds games, instead of just getting a ds.

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think what hurts is there are a bunch of NDS games that would not require an actual touchscreen to play the same. Many games that only use it as a point and click function would work fine with a mouse. Other games like Castlevania for those who don't have touchscreens/tablets would more than likely come out with a hack that automatically drew the magical seals for you after each boss. Some would say that takes something from the game, but really that part was a forgone conclusion, you've beaten the boss at that point, and I think I only ever messed up drawing a seal once. (Games that use touchscreen solely wouldn't be a problem for me, since I happen to have a tablet for my line of business), but you wouldn't believe how many people play portable games at their houses. Most of the time I've seen someone with a DS or a PSP we've been at someone's house, not out and about, where most people after a certain age have enough stuff to do everyday that they don't have too much sitting time.

If I recall correctly it was stated somewhere that most people who play portables, play them at home, at least most of the time. (I could very well be wrong on this, considering the source escapes me at the moment.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr