Hacking WiiWare/VC installation via vWii.

You soft-modded your Wii U to:

• Total voters

Master0fBlunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read these forums (among others) in their entirety, and cannot answer the following question:

I have every WiiWare and VirtualConlsole -=WAD=-, (none are homebrew),
They installed on my WII using a Wad Manager and worked flawlessly.

Can I install the -=EXACT SAME=- .wad file; that i used on my WII; on my vWii (Wii U) using a Wad Manager without bricking?

I keep seeing all this stuff about having to have special vWii forwarders, and how .wads are super dangerous in vWii as opposed to WII, etc etc. I saw something about using a wad converter for wads, using a NAND Emulator through WiiFlow or GX..... There is no definitive answer on the internet it seems.

I do not care about homebrew, I want to know what steps, if any, need to be taken to install all my WW/VC to my vWii. I'm willing to load HomebrewChannel every time I want to play a WW/VC game if necessary, I don't care how tedious the process is or having a forwarder, as long as it is confirmed safe. On my WII I used to load all my WW/VC off of my SDHC card because I didn't like my main menu all cluttered up. So I would like to do the same with my vWii; have all my WW/VC within the "SD" menu within my "vWii".

I have the latest Wii U firmware, 5.0
I Smash Stacked the HomebrewChannel onto the Wii U.
I dumped Keys and Nand.
Now I'm here.

So in summary...
1. The WII WW/VC wads I used on my WII, will they brick a Wii U?
2. Which WW/VC games even work anymore on the Wii U. (I saw that there were some that freeze at the "*insert controller type here* is required" screen?)

Master0fBlunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100 views, no answer.... hmmm, i figured this topic wouldve been pretty well figured out by now.... homebrews been on wii u since 2011/12, and nobody knows if a downloaded VC wad i used on my wii is wii u safe? if its that far into the shadows then im going to assume it cant be done...

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
maybe no one could answer because you need to wait more time (there is a change the right people who could answer live on the other side of the planet and didnt' see this yet..)
or the pool is not related to the question you ask...

as for the question itself, i dont own a wii u, so i can't answer it.. but heres a sticky thread which can provide you some info:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/

edit: this can be found on that thread:
Installing channel wads (same reason as on regular Wii, mainly only if they have a bad banner or something, otherwise if they are confirmed ok, then they should be safe)

so, i think if you install and got no problems on the regular Wii, there should be no problem on the vWii...

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-sneek.360615/ to create and run an emulated Nand

or use a backup-loader, that supports creating an emunand and running the wads on it, so you can't break your real nand

basically, wii wads are okay, as long as they are just game wads and no wii IOSes, however game wads can also cause blackscreens/freezes and possibly even worse, if they are in some way broken (for example broken banner), but you can test them on dolphin or your wii first and then you can use them on your wiiu, but some games just dont work right on vwii, if you are worried of a brick, play them on the wii... if you want to play them on the wiiu, then at least make use of an emulated nand, as that creates a layer of protection

Master0fBlunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you much for those who replied, I agree 100% with using an emu-nand. Maybe this could be stickyed for other newbs and future reference.

Test your WiiWare and VirtualConsole games on an emulated NAND using VWII SAFE homebrew before installing directly to your vWii NAND.
I played all my .wads just fine on my WII, however I will emulate them in vWii homebrew first, because you never know...

Master0fBlunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, to backup this being stickyed, I will test every WW/VC game released and post the results in detail.
All my .wads are *clean* and verified working on Wii 4.3U.
PM for "details" on wads, other vWii testers for WW/VC PM for WAD details plz.

Wii U Firmware V5.0.0
Homebrew Channel V(the one with the effed aspect ratio)

Give me a couple days, i want to tread lightly and document thoroughly.
On a side note, I updated my Wii U to Nintendos latest update as of like a month ago, and I Smash Stacked successfully so I can at least verify that Wii U 5.0 is Homebrew Channelable. (Thats a word right? Lmao)

Reactions: darkseekerliu

Master0fBlunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, update.

Original post I had:

Wii U v5.0.0 (latest to my knowledge, try to update, "none available" via Wii U update)
Homebrew Channel (HBC 1.1.2 / IOS58 v25.32)

Now currently, I have installed '"d2x cIOS Installer Mod v2.2", (VWII OF COURSE)
Which was successful, I opted for the 52 vs the 53, bc as I originally posted, I want good NAND emulation, and my 1Tb HDD will be dedicated to the Wii U, so I dont need the "hot swap" feature.

Now before I move on, I need the following answered:

d2x... I installed (ran from HBC) using (http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/)

Overwrote the 3 stubs, or w/e they're called.
Now. IOS236, what is it and what benefits do I gain. Docementation on this "app" is very... slack...

I ultimately want to install wads and run (legally purchased, seriously) backups.

What is IOS236, where is the docementation, and is it relative to installing the OP's wads and running usb loaders?

Mother w 3 kids needs halp asap!!! Driving me nuts with "wheres my Cars, and Wreck it Ralph, and BLEH!!!11!

Mind you I'm trying to give back to the community by documenting my steps/progress for others. :/
On a side note, yes I still intend to post my WW/VC results, but as of yet my Wii U is not ready to install said wads (without further research or confirmation of a "head" forum member.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-sneek.360615/ to create and run an emulated Nand

or use a backup-loader, that supports creating an emunand and running the wads on it, so you can't break your real nand

Test your WiiWare and VirtualConsole games on an emulated NAND using VWII SAFE homebrew before installing directly to your vWii NAND.
I played all my .wads just fine on my WII, however I will emulate them in vWii homebrew first, because you never know...

You're best off not installing those types of wads to the vWii nand, as they were all made for the Wii, not the vWii. If you brick your vWii, you will probably never recover it. The quoted post says to run the wiiware from an emunand, not to test it in emunand and then install it to a real vWii nand. When he said to test them on the Wii or dolphin first, he probably was meaning for you to find any bad wads before installing to the vWii emunand.

Some homebrew will require a cIOS to run, that's what IOS236 is for. The d2x cIOS is for playing wii games from backup loaders, and also there may be some homebrew that uses the d2x cIOS but don't quote me on that.

Master0fBlunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Input noted and I thank you.

In retort...

Are you suggesting NEVER install old WW/VC to vWii, but instead emulate 100%...

Or...

Verify in emu-nand or wii before vWii wad installation? I just want to be crystal clear...
for others users also mind you.

Sounds like stick to emulation to me.
If thats the case, then just what exactly is vwii nand safe other than HBC, and d2x?
(is there anything other than HBC that is direct vwii nand safe, wads, homebrew, etc)

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have a Wii U and I would not install wiiware / vc titles to the vWii nand, unless there was someway to easily recover from a brick, which I don't think there is. There's nothing wrong with playing from emunand, and as GorTesK said, there is some usb loaders that will play wiiware from an emunand.

You can install forwarders to the vWii nand and have them display on the menu, that's about the only thing i've installed besides the cIOS. Make sure the forwarders are for the vWii.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
yes, that is, what I meant
test them on wii or dolphin before using them on vwii and even if they are safe, be extra safe and use an emunand, you dont have to set up the sneek emunand from the tutorial, using an usbloader, that supports creating and using an emunand is far easier to use, I just wanted to show all possibilities
you can never be safe enough, when you mess with your wiiu, because right now we have no public way of restoring a nand backup on the wiiu, so a broken vwii could only be fixed during a system software update, if you are lucky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain