WiiWare #0936 - LA-MULANA (Europe)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it was more Montezuma's Revenge but more fleshed out and following a Metroidvania style feel with the levels.

Grabbed this on Steam, excellent game but it is fairly different to the original Windows release (it was meant to ape early MSX games). It's a lot easier (mainly due to level design being altered) and kinda feels more like a sequel.

I do prefer the original (it was Japanese only but you can get a English patch) how it looks, sounds and how it is a better challenge (will kick most peoples asses here) but still I recommend this remake as well, it was actually quite nice that it felt like a new game.

Reactions: 1 person

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I started playing it.
I completed the first world and killed the first boss. (took me 3~4Hours)
A lot of backtracking in all these rooms! but that was fun.
(I missed two e-mails, but it seems they are not sent in numerical order).

@[member='Bladexdsl']:
About the Warp, It was great to warp to surface/ruins, until I explore the other maps (water, pyramid, giant, etc.) and discovered that ... WARP IS NOT REGISTERING!!
Damn it, it's only quick saving ;__;
Why can't I register it as a warp point? I need a new "cup of memory" for each area?

Or maybe I didn't do it right?

Edit: I don't want to look on website/faqs, after that I'll be too tempted to continue checking what I missed and what to do to not miss anything.

[Title:little spoiler, not much]So, now, I don't know which area to go, but I found a tablet giving the Boss's order. (Snake, giant, sky, water, etc.)
The Giant's map is harder than the first world, even more backtracks with Time switching events.

There's still two rooms I didn't complete in the first map, I suppose I need something from other worlds. high jump maybe? Fly?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
To activate the warp stand in front of the tablet and use the scanner to read it and the warp will now be active. Had to figure that one out myself too :P

I agree this game is fucking hard and I don't know what to do most of the time, very little clues on where to go and how to solve the puzzles etc. I like exploring but this is just ridiculous as there is almost no clue on what you're supposed to do. He should have made it like metroid and block areas off and you need an item to access them. I also hate it when you complete a puzzle it doesn't tell you what it changed/activated in other rooms you pretty much have to search for what changed the 1st level it was pretty close by but later on it just gets worse! I don't really feel like playing it any more.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ahh, thank you :D
I forgot about scanning it.

yeah, all the area are available at the same time so you don't know where to go, it's more a free exploration and puzzle solving by yourself.
but there are hints too, mostly the tablet you read.
You need to understand them though, or remember what you read as the hints are not always in the same room.

It's more challenging :)

M

mario5555

there's a complete walkthru of the JP version on youtube...trust me you'll be using it a lot :P

Doesn't that take all of the fun out of a game like this, I'd say only consult an FAQ only if your getting frustrated, that's how I'm playing it, otherwise for something so good, I feel like I'd be lessening the exp. ya know.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, for the moment I'm enjoying it and won't look at a FAQ.
Unless there are miss-able timed quests/items. If there's no delay, I can always check a FAQ at the end and unlock what I missed.

I'm at the second boss (Giant map), but I'm sure I missed something on that world. I found the map, a weapon, an energy ball, and the Ankh's jewel. It seems not enough compared to the previous map, I feel like I missed few things (some philosopher's quest, and a miniboss).

One thing that I hate : Doors always close back when you change screen and you need to use a weight every time :cry:

Edit:
Ahhh, that's damn too hard.
Not the clues, I'm fine with exploring the levels, but the bosses are impossible to beat for me :(
I'm just bad, and boss are too strong and my HP goes down too fast.

It's been 2 hours I'm trying to beat that Giant!.

I noticed you could use the Ankh jewel on another map and kill another boss first, but I don't want to.
I have 96 HP, and I can't hit the giant without being hit myself (rock, bouncing rocks, arm, head, etc.)
I still have the whip, and no knife (but I read that the knife it's harder on Wiiware due to tinier hit-box than PC)

It require 20 hits on WiiWare (12 on PC!)
I managed to hit it 10 times max :(

Someone could beat him?

I noticed it became harder (more/new enemies everywhere)

Edit2:
It was too hard even with infinite HP, I wouldn't have kill him without codes.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thought the game became harder, now I know why...
I activated the HARD mode!
I thought that reading the tablet only made one enemy appear, but I killed him and thought "it wasn't that hard of a challenge"...
but it's ALL the game which became a challenge.

DO NOT read the tablet at the top right of the Giant mausoleum, or die and reload a quicksave, unless you are prepared for hard mode.

I may have to create a new game, I have too much difficulty to beat the (mini) bosses.
Well, I hope it's the reason I have difficulty.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
DO NOT read the tablet at the top right of the Giant mausoleum, or die and reload a quicksave, unless you are prepared for hard mode.
I figured that one out the hard way too, it literally broke my save cos I saved and didn't know what was happening 'till it was too late and this was the 3rd time I had to restart. 1st I got trapped in the sun temple and couldn't get out cos I didn't have the warp, then I got stuck somewhere else and now this so fuck it that's when I quit had enough of this game and its fucking traps!! :hateit:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Aha, sorry to see you met the same fate than me ;_;

I restarted the game, and reached the same point in 2 hours instead of 4-5H, it's faster when you know what to do.
The bosses and enemies are very easy now!
The good thing is you don't need to fight bosses to advance in the story, I just go back when I have enough HP ;)

I see where you got stuck in the sun palace, but you can run away before the wall close (that's when you already know it's a trap).

I got the first Seal and found the mirror.
But I have a chest I couldn't open, and a shop in the sun palace which is closed, compared to my first game.
Well, I'll eventually unlock them.

oh, and in my first game, I found the Grapple claw in the moon palace, but I hate that!
it's used to stick to walls, but I'm used to jump to wall/slide upward on the wall/change direction. Having this item is only trouble and you can't disable it (especially while playing with Analog stick).
I won't take it if not required.

The Moon Palace's Grail doesn't register as a Warp point :(
It seems only the main 6 graves are a warp point, the one on other maps are only used to quicksave.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I got stuck in the water palace, and I can't get out :/ I hate this game. It could've been SO much better.

Instead no, they put frustrating controls and an horrible gameplay which punishes you if you haven't replayed it 8 times. That totally kills it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not a very good player, but I'm not stuck nor frustrated.
I don't find the control this bad.

I guess the idea was to have a control and visual from MSX, the feeling of an old console.
I'm pretty sure the controls for WiiWare are far better than what we got in 8bit era :P

You want some help or will not play it anymore?
Where are you stuck?

You first need the Helmet to walk under waterfall. (Giant's mausoleum -> right exit to Twin tower -> go down -> there's a shop with the Helmet 60Gold)

In the water palace I killed the mini boss and activated the water flow (I suppose it's where the Altar will appear).
I got the Ankh Jewel (hit the golden fish 20 times), the sub-Weapon (fall from high place), Scale'o'Sphere to breath under water (located at the top of the moving plateforms), the Origin Seal (top-right of the map, after killing the mini boss), The glove (after activated water flow).
I also made the water go into the Sun palace to get the Bronze mirror. (there's few graves with help to get the mirror)
I found a shop and two "houses" (one talking, one mute).

I'm missing the Energy orb (on per world, right?) and the altar activation (don't know what to do yet).
Maybe the Mirror will be used, as the talking guy told me about it.
Maybe you are stuck at that same spot too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: I don't care what you think is "common". I *have* been genuinly wronged.