Hacking WiiU VC game injection working on 5.3.2

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm working on an NES injection page since we don't have one.

Since this isn't really appropriate for the wiki, here's a short list of mappers Nintendo has emulated on the Wii U so far (along with ones I've tested, using Earthbound as a base):
4: TxROM/MMC3 (e.g. Mega Man 3, Super Mario Bros. 3)
24: VRC6a (has really bad extra sound channel emulation; Akumajou Densetsu, aka Japanese CastleVania III, sounds terrible)
0: NROM

Not working mappers:
1: SxROM/MMC1 (e.g. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Metroid)
85: VRC7 (Lagrange Point boots to a gray screen, periodically going purple)
7: AxROM (Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II just black screens)

More to come via edits.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: VinsCool

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
well you could say the famous games that use those mappers. xD

also it depends on your nes base for isntance kirby dream land nes vc cant play smb3 or smb2 and yet the smb3 nes vc can play those and such.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
well you could say the famous games that use those mappers. xD

also it depends on your nes base for isntance kirby dream land nes vc cant play smb3 or smb2 and yet the smb3 nes vc can play those and such.

I wonder if they use a lot of per-game hacks or something on the NES side of the VC? Seems silly though, the Wii U has more than enough horsepower to run an accurate NES emulator.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_NES_injection

Help fill it in if you want.

Last edited by daxtsu,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
well all my nes testing was made with an unreleased tool made by nightly xD
How about n64 microcodes? Anyone knows what game uses which?
i doubt that matters at all, what matters is really the adress for instace you know the goldeney jap worked perfectly so there was no microcode fail, what failled was the adresses becuase they didnt made a diferent microcode for japan so yeah nintendo 64 is very wierd on what works and what doesnt, dont ask me why.

xavix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I been having some problems, with the game terranigma, [Snes Vc]. The game froze when you try save. (restore point is ok so no biggie) but any rom I tried there is not sound at all any rom. (Spanish,English France, etc,etc) the roms are ok "tested on pc, snes emulator". So any idea, or how to fix?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I been having some problems, with the game terranigma, [Snes Vc]. The game froze when you try save. (restore point is ok so no biggie) but any rom I tried there is not sound at all any rom. (Spanish,English France, etc,etc) the roms are ok "tested on pc, snes emulator". So any idea, or how to fix?
nope snes has no config files so what works works what doesnt doesnt unfortunely, you could try putting it on several diferent e shop titles, it could be some random one that supports those audio channels who knows.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been loosely following this thread, but have out of the VC injection process for a bit and wanted to clear a couple things up...

1.Can we can dump the whole VC game with Dumpiine? Is everything stored in the RPX or do we need to dump XMLs and Content? I think it's a no for Content but I'm unsure about the XMLs...

2. Is there a quick and dirty guide for RPX injection? I figure it's buried in the thread somewhere. I'd like to put it in the Definitive Guide. RPX injection is preferred over RAM injection, right? At least you can launch with Loadiine and not have to connect to TCP Gecko or Cafiine to inject every time lol.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've been loosely following this thread, but have out of the VC injection process for a bit and wanted to clear a couple things up...

1.Can we can dump the whole VC game with Dumpiine? Is everything stored in the RPX or do we need to dump XMLs and Content? I think it's a no for Content but I'm unsure about the XMLs...

2. Is there a quick and dirty guide for RPX injection? I figure it's buried in the thread somewhere. I'd like to put it in the Definitive Guide. RPX injection is preferred over RAM injection, right? At least you can launch with Loadiine and not have to connect to TCP Gecko or Cafiine to inject every time lol.
no you will always need the content folder for every VC title, even on nes/snes that the rom is on the rpx the Vc assest are on the content stuff.

Only nes and snes have the roms in the rpx the other VC dont.

Reactions: fiveighteen

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

To expand on what Pedro said:

1. No, you need to use Dumpiine to dump the RPX, and then use TCPGecko to dump the FSA. You need everything.

2. RPX injection makes for cleaner launching if you ask me. You can set up individual games ready to run with Loadiine. If you need a tool for SNES/NES injection, I wrote one (just check a few pages back and you should find it), but it's still a WIP, so it might not be perfect for every base game. With N64 and NDS you can literally just replace the ROM file in the content folder and it works (NDS is typically in a rom.zip file, and n64 is just a loose rom file named weirdly). N64 has a bunch of config files though, so you might have to tweak one to get certain games working. There should be a page on the GBATemp wiki covering what games work where.

Reactions: fiveighteen

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To expand on what Pedro said:

1. No, you need to use Dumpiine to dump the RPX, and then use TCPGecko to dump the FSA. You need everything.

2. RPX injection makes for cleaner launching if you ask me. You can set up individual games ready to run with Loadiine. If you need a tool for SNES/NES injection, I wrote one (just check a few pages back and you should find it), but it's still a WIP, so it might not be perfect for every base game. With N64 and NDS you can literally just replace the ROM file in the content folder and it works (NDS is typically in a rom.zip file, and n64 is just a loose rom file named weirdly). N64 has a bunch of config files though, so you might have to tweak one to get certain games working. There should be a page on the GBATemp wiki covering what games work where.
Ah, crap. So XML Dumper too or nah?

I have your tool downloaded but haven't put it to use yet. :) Its essentially a PC-side version of what FIX94's WiiU-side injector did, right.. Just search for the headers and pop up the new stuff in?

And GBA is still on the struggle-bus right?

Good work and thanks for the info, guys.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ah, crap. So XML Dumper too or nah?

I have your tool downloaded but haven't put it to use yet. :) Its essentially a PC-side version of what FIX94's WiiU-side injector did, right.. Just search for the headers and pop up the new stuff in?

And GBA is still on the struggle-bus right?

Good work and thanks for the info, guys.

It searches for the beginning of the ROM and overwrites it directly. If it's too big (or if you mistakenly try to inject NES into SNES or SNES into NES), it'll refuse to do it for safety purposes.

GBA still needs Gecko, as the alldata.bin encryption hasn't been broken yet. Apparently Normmat of AKAIO and 3DS fame is looking into it, but no word yet.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo, your lazyness is disapointing. By one single byte. Earthbound Beginings is a 100% match to the prototype english translation.

ExHSdan.png

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am amazed that there is a TPak (Transfer Pack) config along with Rumble and MemPak in RomOptions on the N64 vessel. Pokemon Stadium games with GB roms included incoming?
Too bad there doesn't seem to be any paths for a GB rom/save. Incomplete probably.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I am amazed that there is a TPak (Transfer Pack) config along with Rumble and MemPak in RomOptions on the N64 vessel. Pokemon Stadium games with GB roms included incoming?
Too bad there doesn't seem to be any paths for a GB rom/save. Incomplete probably.
considering they will release red,blue and yellow next year with 3ds wireless for transfers i bet they will release stadium hat will be able to connect to the wiiu to transfer pokemon to the stadium VC imo, thats what i think.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
considering they will release red,blue and yellow next year with 3ds wireless for transfers i bet they will release stadium hat will be able to connect to the wiiu to transfer pokemon to the stadium VC imo, thats what i think.
A 3DS to Wii U connection?
I think that's rather uncomfortable since not all Wii U users have a 3DS.

It would be better if they release the GB games in the Wii U so that everything is inside the same console, and then the Stadium ROM could send a call to the GB ROM and its save using the transfer pack option.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A 3DS to Wii U connection?
I think that's rather uncomfortable since not all Wii U users have a 3DS.

It would be better if they release the GB games in the Wii U so that everything is inside the same console, and then the Stadium ROM could send a call to the GB ROM and its save using the transfer pack option.
stadium doesnt need pokemons transferable to be played you know that right? unlike PBR which was crap stadium can stand on its own with all 150 pokemons available as rentals plus minigames.You can beat the entire game with rentals.

Pokemon battle revolution was just pure crap with 6 useless rentals that you couldnt do anything with.

Last edited by pedro702,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
stadium doesnt need pokemons to be played you know that right? unlike PBR which was crap stadium can stand on its own with all 150 pokemons avalable as rentals plus minigames.You can beat the entire game with rentals.

Pokemon battle revolution was just pure crap with 6 useless rentals that you couldnt do anything with.
Yeah I do know that. Stadium had rental Pokemon.
But I was referring to the option of using the GB ROM from the VC title with the Stadium VC via the transfer pack configuration to use the GB Pokemon in Stadium.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @SylverReZ