Hacking WiiU Ordered. So now what?

DarkWolfRaiju

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiU was ordered, I know it'll be on the previous firmware. So what do I do? I read the noob's guide, but have also seen people saying that the DNS thing won't block the update for it? So how do I go about safely doing this, including getting Brain Age? Not asking where to get it, obviously, but how to get it on there and everything, so I can get all this done.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiU was ordered, I know it'll be on the previous firmware. So what do I do? I read the noob's guide, but have also seen people saying that the DNS thing won't block the update for it? So how do I go about safely doing this, including getting Brain Age? Not asking where to get it, obviously, but how to get it on there and everything, so I can get all this done.
Follow the noob guide. It's the only one right now that has been updated to include 5.5.2 info. DNS blocking.works just fine.

Reactions: fledge68

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The DNS block should still work, I don't know where you heard that it doesn't but I don't think that's correct.
Make sure you enter the DNS when you first set up the wifi and subsequent times when you set up wifi, because as soon as it detects an update it'll start downloading it, and once the download is finished it'll install automatically with no way of stopping it. It'll even download updates in sleep mode, though it won't install them until you turn it on, but by then it's already too late.

DarkWolfRaiju

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow the noob guide. It's the only one right now that has been updated to include 5.5.2 info. DNS blocking.works just fine.

This is what someone told me: "No, you'd specify the blocked DNS entries, run the web exploit, spoof (if necessary) and run NNUPatcher, then go to eShop and buy the title, download the title with an NUS downloader on the PC, remove that download's fake title.tik (if there is one) and install it using WUPInstaller. (All still possible because you never updated)" Now, I got the blocking, the web explor, but NNUPatcher? NUS Downloader? fake title.tik? I'm fairly certain WUPInstaller is already covered in your guide, so.

And yeah, I know. So do I have to do the DNS thing everytime I turn my console on/wake it up from sleep mode?

Last edited by DarkWolfRaiju,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what someone told me: "No, you'd specify the blocked DNS entries, run the web exploit, spoof (if necessary) and run NNUPatcher, then go to eShop and buy the title, download the title with an NUS downloader on the PC, remove that download's fake title.tik (if there is one) and install it using WUPInstaller. (All still possible because you never updated)" Now, I got the blocking, the web explor, but NNUPatcher? NUS Downloader? fake title.tik? I'm fairly certain WUPInstaller is already covered in your guide, so.

And yeah, I know. So do I have to do the DNS thing everytime I turn my console on/wake it up from sleep mode?
Spoof=not necessary right now.
DNS blocking=covered in the guide
NNU Patcher=covered in the guide in the HaxChi step
Fake ticket=no worries on fresh Wii U. There won't be a fake ticket already

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also... DO NOT use a DS title from NUS downloader. You'll brick.

I can't attest to what someone else told you. Just follow the guide step by step.

DarkWolfRaiju

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spoof=not necessary right now.
DNS blocking=covered in the guide
NNU Patcher=covered in the guide in the HaxChi step
Fake ticket=no worries on fresh Wii U. There won't be a fake ticket already

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also... DO NOT use a DS title from NUS downloader. You'll brick.

I can't attest to what someone else told you. Just follow the guide step by step.

So...do I still need brain age then to get Haxchi? And do you think the need to spoof'll change in two weeks?

Bibim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we still get our credentials through (NNID etc) with the DNS blocks on? Sorry for the noob question.

I am in the same boat as the OP. Been lurking here a while back taking notes. I planned on following the guide by @Kafluke then bam... 5.5.2 update. Now I have to worry about getting a 5.5.1 game disk as well. A brand new one will set me back at around 50 bucks :O. I will keep my fingers crossed when I "cross the bridge" and hopefully won't run into any problems.

mr-b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just got my new refurbed WiiU with 5.5.1. I had to buy it quickly after my last one updated to 5.5.2 whilst following the Noob guide (as it said at one early point to turn off blocking).

Anyway I found when setting up a reset Wii that it's very easy to get suckered into following the setup wizards which will happily lead you into non-blocking wifi. So I made sure to break out of the setup process at the earliest available point to try to setup the wifi connection manually to be Non-auto setttings for DNS.

I had also wanted to make sure that I'd blocked the MAC address on my router, although my rubbish BT router won't allow manual entries, and has to see the machine first on the network before it will allow you to block it (doh!). So to be safe, I just had to unplug the router from the internet. Also you have to get the MAC address from the WiiU as it's not printed externally like some devices. It would be good to have a process to follow just in case the auto-setup gets configured by mistake as it seems the update sneaks in quickly. I thought I spotted something that could delete the download just in case before it got applied but can't find it now.

So from my experience I'd suggest that the safest option is to set up a new WiiU with the router physically unplugged from the internet until you are sure that your blocking methods are correctly configured.
I guess secondhand non-modded, 5.5.1 machines are going to be pretty rare soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: