WiiU Movie Playback

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by 10_0ARMY, Nov 26, 2012.

Nov 26, 2012

WiiU Movie Playback by 10_0ARMY at 6:32 PM (1,204 Views / 0 Likes) 10 Comments

10_0ARMY THE *Original* 1 Man Army

Message Count:
    United States
    Before all the "check google" posts appear I just wanted to see if the WiiU can play video off an external harddrive. I know Nintendo didn't have DVD playback on Wii, but I was hoping it's next console would have something of that nature. It seems practical for them to incorporate something like this now.

I just hope that if this stuff isn't already here that Nintendo will release an update that adds this functionality.

crono141 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Not as of yet, unless there's a javascript web based player that can access local media. But even then I doubt such a thing exists.
    • Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    The WiiU has a "videoPlayer" exposed to javascript, but it's undocumented for the moment.
    it's maybe only a reading value, and not writable, it could be true while something is already played on TV to prevent playing two youtube video at the same time.

you can use the html5 video, but you'll have to convert it.
    Maybe PS3MediaServer has an option to serve a html5 webpage/video with avisynth to convert the stream to mp4/ogg/webm?

if it's not available yet, I'm sure someone will find a way to stream video to WiiU.
    • Newcomer

PaulL.Russell New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    It can also play MP4 videos off the web allowing you to watch tv shows/movies etc. Try Mobilevideos.org & Animeonhand.com
    KingVamp and lostdwarf like this.

drakorex New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    If you mean with wiimc or mplayer, then yes. I watched a full episode of Metalocalypse on my wii u :P
    KiiWii likes this.

pwsincd Garage Flower

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    theres already a thread explaining the streaming abilities , but its essentially playing movies over a local server to your wiiu , same shit diff approach .

paulee123 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    What is the playback quality like, is it the exact same as the wii. I mean is it full screen, (when I run vwii on my tv through hdmi, it's a framed picture also as ppl have said b4 the pic is a washed out)

Does running Wiimc thru hdmi make a difference?

drakorex New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Not sure, didn't really take time to notice all the little details. The picture looked good. Wondering if now we can view videos at 1080p with wiimc/mplayer. Can someone check this out?
    • Newcomer

moc New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    so i can install homebrew channel like on the original wii using lego indy i know this can be done when in the vwii from what i am reading can i then install wiimc and then play movies

lostdwarf New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    paul, thank you for the web links they both work perfectly on my WiiU.
    • Newcomer

PaulL.Russell New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    No problem. I've found a better Anime site by the way. Try iAnime. Much better selection. Also, since you live in the U.K,
    try iPhone.TVCatchup.com. You can watch Live Freeview TV on your Wii U. Poor quality stream though but still, should
    tide us over until Nintendo TVii arrives.

~P~