Homebrew WiiU Homebrew Development

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
Which would be a good place to start with Wii U Homebrew? I just got a replacement console to try out the stuff currently available

*no response D:*

Last edited by Gamer4647,

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am currently learning to use Media Fusion 2 and recently started developing an idea towards my very first game.

Would it be feasible to eventually create a port for homebrew on Wii U from my final product on Windows and what would I need to create such a port besides the Windows source?

Any help is appreciated.

D

Deleted User

Hello. I am currently learning to use Media Fusion 2 and recently started developing an idea towards my very first game.

Would it be feasible to eventually create a port for homebrew on Wii U from my final product on Windows and what would I need to create such a port besides the Windows source?

Any help is appreciated.
It really depends on what frameworks you use to create your game on PC.
For example, those who pay attention would know that the SDK contains a compiler for Unity projects, as well as HTML, Javascript and CSS (the Web Framework).
In terms of Media Fusion 2, it doesn't seem that you get access to your program's source code, and as such I doubt software made with this tool can be ported to Wii U.

SapphireBulletBill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you guys add Wii U Pro Controller support to the menus so I can select apps through that?
I don't want to have to use the Gamepad or a frickin' Wiimote.

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm getting an error with libxml2 whenever I try to compile a homebrew that uses it.

Code:
.../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlGetEncodingAlias':
c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1017: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
.../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlAddEncodingAlias':
c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1052: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
.../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlParseCharEncoding':
c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1154: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
.../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o):c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1154: more undefined references to `__ctype_ptr__' follow

Do anyone got a clue on what could be causing this?

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting an error with libxml2 whenever I try to compile a homebrew that uses it.

Code:
.../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlGetEncodingAlias':
.../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlAddEncodingAlias':
.../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlParseCharEncoding':
c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1154: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
.../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o):c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1154: more undefined references to `__ctype_ptr__' follow

Do anyone got a clue on what could be causing this?
You're using DevKitPPC r29 instead of r27.

Pikachuk

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wonder if a kind of C# wrapper or homebrew port of monodevelop for wii u will exist one day, would be cool to develop homebrews
with C#

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I have a few questions about when it comes to Wii U development:
  1. To compile the OTP to SD card dumper, I am assuming that this tool would require the modified libogc and portlibs libraries that and libwiiu to compile.
  2. If I want to compile wut, using stock devkitPPC should be fine, right?
  3. I remember hearing that there were problems when it comes to C++ support in wut, is that still true (I rather use C++ to make use of classes).

D

Deleted User

Hello I have a few questions about when it comes to Wii U development:
  1. To compile the OTP to SD card dumper, I am assuming that this tool would require the modified libogc and portlibs libraries that and libwiiu to compile.
  2. If I want to compile wut, using stock devkitPPC should be fine, right?
  3. I remember hearing that there were problems when it comes to C++ support in wut, is that still true (I rather use C++ to make use of classes).
  1. I wouldn't actually know. I would assume that, because it needs to run a payload on the IOSU, that you would probably need devkitARM installed in addition to devkitPPC.
  2. To compile WUT, you will need a clean devkitPPC, yes (versions 27-29 should work, however some homebrew will only compile on version 27) but you will also need a native compiler set your your computer (if your using Windows, install Visual Studio: Community Edition 2015 or later, if you're using macOS install the Xcode Command Line Tools (or the full Xcode package) or if you're using Linux, install the native compilers using your local package manager, e.g. the build-essentials package on Debian-based distros).
  3. As far as I know, C++ language features work (classes and stuff) but the standard library (anything specific to C++ that has to be #included) does not.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, C++ language features work (classes and stuff) but the standard library (anything specific to C++ that has to be #included) does not.
Good to know that classes should work fine! It, however, sucks that standard C++ libraries don't work... this means I have to make use of the cstring library instead.

To compile WUT, you will need a clean devkitPPC, yes (versions 27-29 should work; however, some homebrew will only compile on version 27) but you will also need a native compiler set your computer (if you're using Linux, install the native compilers using your local package manager, e.g. the build-essentials package on Debian-based distros).
Perfect! I am modifying a docker container to add support for the Wii U. I was worried that I would have to sacrifice Wii and Gamecube support to add Wii U support, but I am glad that is not the case.

I wouldn't actually know. I would assume that, because it needs to run a payload on the IOSU, that you would probably need devkitARM installed in addition to devkitPPC.
You are right, it requires it in the arm_user and arm_kernel makefile. I am going to make a special docker container and see if I can compile it with the additional libraries.

Last edited by CuriousTommy,
D

Deleted User

Is there a place where I can learn how to code for Wii U or nah?
I recall @QuarkTheAwesome and @CreeperMario mentioning something about that iirc.
I would personally suggest learning the basics of the C language before coming to the Wii U, as it might make your life a little easier. You can also use C++, but that only fully works when making ELF programs for the Homebrew Launcher - WUT's use of C++ is limited, so your mileage may vary.

After that, @QuarkTheAwesome was working on a tutorial, that so far explains (in appropriate detail) what goes into making a "hello world" program on Wii U.
Other than that, I would suggest looking at the source code for simpler projects like Pong (HBL or WUT), and my HBL port of C@VE (sorry if the code for C@VE looks messy, I would be responsible for that).

Reactions: Deleted User

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to make another Wii U gamepad same as Pro controller? Just pick up a Wii U from garage sale with 2 game pad (1 with broken screen), so curious.

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

Ponyboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, can someone assist me on installing WUT?

Whenever i try to run this command:
msbuild INSTALL.vcxproj /p:Configuration=Release /:Platform=Win32
I get an errors saying that /c/devkitPro/devkitPPC/bin/powerpc-eabi-gcc.exe is not an existing compiler, or something like that.

If there is something i need to do in visual studio before hand, please let me know. I'm pretty new to all this, but I am interested in playing around with Wii U homebrews and seeing if I can make anything useful.
EDIT: Also curious if it's possible to use CodeBlocks with wut, since that's what I have used. If not, then that's OK.

Last edited by Ponyboy,

Ponyboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, can someone assist me on installing WUT?

Whenever i try to run this command:
msbuild INSTALL.vcxproj /p:Configuration=Release /:Platform=Win32
I get an errors saying that /c/devkitPro/devkitPPC/bin/powerpc-eabi-gcc.exe is not an existing compiler, or something like that.

If there is something i need to do in visual studio before hand, please let me know. I'm pretty new to all this, but I am interested in playing around with Wii U homebrews and seeing if I can make anything useful.
EDIT: Also curious if it's possible to use CodeBlocks with wut, since that's what I have used. If not, then that's OK.
Ok, so I figured out my problems with wut. Now I have some new problems. I can't seem to compile any homebrew built for the homebrew launcher. In fact, I can't build any Wii homebrew either. It's weird since I followed the same steps to install devkitPPC on my old PC, and I could compile Wii & Wii U homebrews just fine. Whenever I run the make command, I get this error:
make: make: command not found
I made sure I had devkitpro and devkitppc in my environment variables, but I can't think of anything else. Any guidance is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping out this noob.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night