Homebrew WiiU Homebrew Development

ViolentRockstar

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Were getting closer!
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/686980799841701888
A userland exploit has been released for 5.4.0 and 5.5.0. !

Our current situation:

RoadrunnerWMC said:
Hi. This is my first post here, so a little bit about myself: I'm friends with Marionumber1 and MrRean, and have been graciously given access to that team's private exploits. I mainly make level editors and other editors for Wii U game files. (For the record, I'm also the person who updates the exploit compatibility table on http://rhcafe.us.to/ .)

I've been watching this thread for a very long time, and decided to finally make an account here to clear up what the current Wii U hacking situation is, since there seems to be a whole lot of confusion.

Types of exploits (sorted by amount of access granted)
With a userspace exploit (usually through WebKit in the Internet Browser), you can run Hello World and basic homebrew games. These exploits are mainly important because they are needed to run more exploits. These are referred to interchangeably as "userspace," "userland" and "WebKit" exploits.
With a Cafe OS ("kernel") exploit, you can run TCPGecko and any of the programs that end in -iine (and probably some others I'm forgetting). In order to run one of these exploits, you first need a userspace exploit.
With an IOSU exploit, you get all of the benefits of a kernel exploit, plus more access to lower-level services. Most IOSU exploits first require a kernel exploit; Hykem's is unusual in that it only requires a userspace exploit.

Exploit status on recent firmware versions
5.3.2:
A WebKit userspace exploit is available. There is a public, extremely unreliable kernel exploit in the form of the infamous OSDriver race attack. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.4.0: The libstagefright MP4 userspace exploit is available. The unreliable kernel exploit from 5.3.2 still exists. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.5.0: The libstagefright MP4 userspace exploit is available. The OSDriver kernel exploit is gone, but there is a different kernel exploit that is extremely reliable, which is currently private. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.5.1: libstagefright userspace exploits no longer work. There is no replacement userspace exploit yet, but I know that several people from the team are trying to find one. Nothing else has changed; the reliable (yet private) kernel exploit from 5.5.0 should still work, in theory, but can't be used due to the lack of a userspace exploit. Several private IOSU exploits exist, and theoretically work, but can't be used for the same reason as the kernel exploit.

Hykem's IOSU Exploit
The IOSU exploit Hykem is working on should work on any version that already has a userspace exploit. Right now, this means anything except 5.5.1. When a userspace exploit is found for 5.5.1, the IOSU exploit will work there immediately; we know this because the 5.5.1 update data only affects the internet browser.

Summaries
5.3.2:
Reliable userspace exploit, unreliable kernel exploit (OSDriver), private IOSU exploits.
5.4.0: Reliable userspace exploit (MP4), unreliable kernel exploit (OSDriver), private IOSU exploits.
5.5.0: Reliable userspace exploit (MP4), private reliable kernel exploit, private IOSU exploits.
5.5.1: No userspace exploit. Private reliable kernel exploit (theoretically), private IOSU exploits (theoretically). Because there's no userspace exploit, the other exploits can't be run.

TL;DR
Versions that can be used for fun hacks right now: 5.3.2, 5.4.0
Versions that can be used for fun hacks by private teams now, and by you in the future: 5.5.0
Versions that nobody has run fun hacks on yet: 5.5.1
("Fun hacks" are TCPGecko, Cafiine, Dumpiine, ___iine, etc. Things that require both a userspace and a kernel exploit.)

Hopefully that helps some of you understand where we're at right now. I'll be around here to answer questions now and then.

DaftMink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will Wii U EmuNand be bundled into this IOSU exploit release?.
Been holding off on modding my console till it's more idiot proof with NAND/EmuNAND copies.

Leanny

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Since you can read memory with the current userland exploit, is it also possible to read the ingame memory? E.g. I open a game, start the webbrowser, execute my cute and then read specific addresses from the game. Or is just memory of the webbrowser or what ever accessible right now?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks RoadrunnerWMC for the summary.
I think it would be nice on the first post.

I'm also working on wikitemp to create a list of WiiU homebrew. It should be easy to start and maintain as there's not a lot yet.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_WiiU_homebrew_applications
If someone want to write the wiiu homebrew development page, let me know. maybe we should wait for dimok's loadiine gx2 release to write it.

like Maschell said, dimok will release proper method to compile and launch homebrew, with a GX2 graphics engine library.
It's also using devkitpro libogc/devkitppc existing function instead of re-creating new ones.
we will update the first post when it's released.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I updated the first post.
Removed wrong information (it contained 3DS and DevkitARM links instead of wiiu info)

I made it more informative instead of listing what can be launched or not.
it's still missing information (how to build mp4?) as I didn't do it yet.
I haven't check the video tutorials linked, I don't know if they are good or outdated.

If needed, I kept the old post content so it can be restored.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes I know :P
I know how much time it takes to update and maintain guides/tutorials/wiki.
I always start them and never find time to properly complete them.

It's still not complete, but it might change when Dimok will release GX2, so don't spend too much time updating it now.

Zer0one

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wonder if it is possible a Wii U Emulator for the PC to adapt so that it works on the vwii in homebrew or to control remotely from your PC using this is ?
sorry for my bad english

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, you broke the chronological order I made (You need to build your homebrew before injecting it) and removed important info (where to create project and how to compile them !), and mixed info (removed python cmd line from windows and put it in linux)

This thread is for homebrew development, not a tutorial for injecting existing ones.
it should explain how to setup an environment and CREATE homebrew and how to build them, not "clone a git and don't develop anything even if it's the homebrew development thread".

That's the wrong thread if you want that. a FAQ to inject homebrew is better in the FAQ section. I thought this thread could be a place where developers could ask development questions and share source code and helps.

I guess I spend my Sunday writing and sorting the information chronologically for nothing.
It can still be updated or reverted, but you removed the main information of the thread : the "development" part.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it is possible a Wii U Emulator for the PC to adapt so that it works on the vwii in homebrew or to control remotely from your PC using this is ?
sorry for my bad english
So... You want to emulate a console that is 3 times as powerful as the Wii inside of a sandboxed area that is locked to the Wii's specs?

D

Deleted User

did i miss something?
The MP4 Exploit (reliable i mean).... is it possible to use that as a stable entry on 5.3.2 meanwhile?
i guess the answer is no but well ... maybe someone made it possible^^

marsh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I got the latest libwiiu from the github page here: https://github.com/wiiudev/libwiiu.
I followed all the steps and generated my page it loads but just sits at a normal browser page. i am on 5.5.1 (which I am told supports userland?)

I tried wiiubru and all of them just crash the wii except for the hello world which does work. so i am just trying to get my hello world to work locally. I noticed there is no 5.5.1 folder though? Is the userland for this still private?

I see:
If you want to build for 5.5.0/5.5.1, you first have to compile libwiiu for 5.5.0/5.5.1. For that you go into `libwiiu` and run `make`.
Now you can go into the `osscreenexamples` or `examples` folder and run one of the makefiles. The now compiled `code550.bin` in the `bin` folder can be used with Browserhax. Please note that not all examples may work with 5.5.0/5.5.1.

but what do I do with the code550.bin? Dont I need a html file? Do I need to setup "BrowserHax". Is there any tutorial including all the software you need? I am a experienced c coder just new to the scene and trying to collect all the info.

Here is my output?

http://pastebin.com/AGTEmyxr

Last edited by marsh,

Puddies

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Were getting closer!
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/686980799841701888
A userland exploit has been released for 5.4.0 and 5.5.0. !

Our current situation:

RoadrunnerWMC said:
Hi. This is my first post here, so a little bit about myself: I'm friends with Marionumber1 and MrRean, and have been graciously given access to that team's private exploits. I mainly make level editors and other editors for Wii U game files. (For the record, I'm also the person who updates the exploit compatibility table on http://rhcafe.us.to/ .)

I've been watching this thread for a very long time, and decided to finally make an account here to clear up what the current Wii U hacking situation is, since there seems to be a whole lot of confusion.

Types of exploits (sorted by amount of access granted)
With a userspace exploit (usually through WebKit in the Internet Browser), you can run Hello World and basic homebrew games. These exploits are mainly important because they are needed to run more exploits. These are referred to interchangeably as "userspace," "userland" and "WebKit" exploits.
With a Cafe OS ("kernel") exploit, you can run TCPGecko and any of the programs that end in -iine (and probably some others I'm forgetting). In order to run one of these exploits, you first need a userspace exploit.
With an IOSU exploit, you get all of the benefits of a kernel exploit, plus more access to lower-level services. Most IOSU exploits first require a kernel exploit; Hykem's is unusual in that it only requires a userspace exploit.

Exploit status on recent firmware versions
5.3.2:
A WebKit userspace exploit is available. There is a public, extremely unreliable kernel exploit in the form of the infamous OSDriver race attack. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.4.0: The libstagefright MP4 userspace exploit is available. The unreliable kernel exploit from 5.3.2 still exists. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.5.0: The libstagefright MP4 userspace exploit is available. The OSDriver kernel exploit is gone, but there is a different kernel exploit that is extremely reliable, which is currently private. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.5.1: libstagefright userspace exploits no longer work. There is no replacement userspace exploit yet, but I know that several people from the team are trying to find one. Nothing else has changed; the reliable (yet private) kernel exploit from 5.5.0 should still work, in theory, but can't be used due to the lack of a userspace exploit. Several private IOSU exploits exist, and theoretically work, but can't be used for the same reason as the kernel exploit.

Hykem's IOSU Exploit
The IOSU exploit Hykem is working on should work on any version that already has a userspace exploit. Right now, this means anything except 5.5.1. When a userspace exploit is found for 5.5.1, the IOSU exploit will work there immediately; we know this because the 5.5.1 update data only affects the internet browser.

Summaries
5.3.2:
Reliable userspace exploit, unreliable kernel exploit (OSDriver), private IOSU exploits.
5.4.0: Reliable userspace exploit (MP4), unreliable kernel exploit (OSDriver), private IOSU exploits.
5.5.0: Reliable userspace exploit (MP4), private reliable kernel exploit, private IOSU exploits.
5.5.1: No userspace exploit. Private reliable kernel exploit (theoretically), private IOSU exploits (theoretically). Because there's no userspace exploit, the other exploits can't be run.

TL;DR
Versions that can be used for fun hacks right now: 5.3.2, 5.4.0
Versions that can be used for fun hacks by private teams now, and by you in the future: 5.5.0
Versions that nobody has run fun hacks on yet: 5.5.1
("Fun hacks" are TCPGecko, Cafiine, Dumpiine, ___iine, etc. Things that require both a userspace and a kernel exploit.)

Hopefully that helps some of you understand where we're at right now. I'll be around here to answer questions now and then.

So, does this mean, that I should stay on 5.5.0? So, dont update to 5.5.1?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: