Hardware WiiU Gamepad Support on Wii Games

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Well i've finally ordered my WiiU on ebay along with new super mario bros and nintendo land, but...

What im not sure of though is whether i can play WWE 2k13 Wii version with the standard WiiU Gamepad that comes with the WiiU basic console, and whether i can play using the gamepads screen, say if i wanted to sit in my living room and play wii games whilst watching tv with my WiiU upstairs in my room.

the wii games im interested in playing all supported the gamecube controller its pretty much just the wwe game i care about, i need my wwe fix since i sold my 360 iv been missing my wrestling games and playing the wii versions on my WiiU seems the logical option since im not planning on buying a ps4 or one for a while yet

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hopefully this clears everything: the Wii U GamePad will function only as a display for Wii games.

To enter Wii mode, you must first have the TV display the Wii U menu, then use a Wiimote to select the Wii menu. After that, you can use the TV for something else. If the GamePad can keep its connection to your room upstairs, you can play with that alone, however you'll need to use a Wiimote (at a minimum) to play your Wii games. Thankfully the Wii U GamePad has a built-in Sensor Bar (to the left and right of the camera) so you can point your Wiimote to the GamePad and it'll work just like with your TV. (Keep in mind that the range for the GamePad is very limited, it's similar to the working range of a Bluetooth headset.)

Reactions: fatboynate

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
i think the range is fine, i live in a small 3 bedroom terrased house so its about 15-19 feet from the living room to my bedroom where the console will be.

on the gamepad side will i need to use the wiimote to play the wii games or can i use the gamepads buttons and sticks as a classic controller type input for wii games?

because i hated the wii's wiimote and nunchuck because i have used a gamepad for 20+ years, its a natural feeling to use a gamepad when its been the only choice for so long.
I did not get on with the wiimote and nunchuck thoe the concept was cool, the practical use was horrid to say the least, for my experiance anyway.

EDIT: would a pro controller or classic controller connected to a wiimote work? this would be the only other way i would even attempt to play wii games.

i would most likely play the wii games in my bedroom since id like to use my sound system for when the enterance music plays

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
on the gamepad side will i need to use the wiimote to play the wii games or can i use the gamepads buttons and sticks as a classic controller type input for wii games?
Like I said: the Wii U GamePad will function only as a display for Wii games.
EDIT: would a pro controller or classic controller connected to a wiimote work? this would be the only other way i would even attempt to play wii games.
Only the Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro will work for Wii games. If you're referring to the Wii U Pro Controller, that won't work. You also can't play with GameCube controllers, as the adapter for them is currently limited only to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. So again, anything that connects to the Wiimote will work. Everything else is out of question.

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Like I said: the Wii U GamePad will function only as a display for Wii games.
Only the Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro will work for Wii games. If you're referring to the Wii U Pro Controller, that won't work. You also can't play with GameCube controllers, as the adapter for them is currently limited only to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. So again, anything that connects to the Wiimote will work. Everything else is out of question.

i was referring to the wii classic controller/pro, i don't really want to buy another accessory for the Wii/U but if the classic controller and wiimote will work then that will be a worthwhile buy, since i can use it on dolphin if i ever feel the need to use my rig for emulation again. thank you for your help shinkodachi much appreciated :)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dude it depends onbthe game, wether it supports cc controls. these will not change having a wii u.
you should try thinking of he wiiu as a dual console. a Wii u + a Wii. Nothing will change on how you can control your games.
fyi I from the 70 ties an the wiimote + nunchuck is the best thing that happened in gaming. try looking at it as a split controller. and do not over move since you can perfectly play any wii game that supports wiimote and nunchuck frim your couch. no swezt iniled ever. I assure you, once you played a proper fps with wiimote poiting controls, you will not want t go back to dual stick controls!!!

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Dude it depends onbthe game, wether it supports cc controls. these will not change having a wii u.
you should try thinking of he wiiu as a dual console. a Wii u + a Wii. Nothing will change on how you can control your games.
fyi I from the 70 ties an the wiimote + nunchuck is the best thing that happened in gaming. try looking at it as a split controller. and do not over move since you can perfectly play any wii game that supports wiimote and nunchuck frim your couch. no swezt iniled ever. I assure you, once you played a proper fps with wiimote poiting controls, you will not want t go back to dual stick controls!!!

Well said! :)

To the OP, I looked up the WWE 2K13 game you mentioned and it supports the Classic Controller. That's your best option if you want to play it on the Wii U.

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad

I dont play fps on consoles period lol a mouse and keyboard are far superior, but i like consoles for button mashing, fighting and fantasy games purely for the easier control configurations.

pretty much the only games i play atm are fantasy games on nintendo consoles/handhelds and runescape on my pc.

i was just hoping i wouldnt need to buy wii gear for my WiiU, but if i want my WWE fix then im buying a wiimote and classic controller, i might even try nintendont, so i can play pokemon XD and colosseum.

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Well said! :)

To the OP, I looked up the WWE 2K13 game you mentioned and it supports the Classic Controller. That's your best option if you want to play it on the Wii U.

i know all the wwe games on the wii support the classic controller, i used to have them on my wii before the ODD randomly died, sadly i sold the games and remaining accessories because i didnt think i'd ever need them again *sighs* looks like im going to get back on ebay and see if i can pick me up a cheap wiimote, classic controller and a few wwe games :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: