Gaming WiiU epiphany!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think the Wii was carried more by its control scheme gimmick and the hype surrounding it than the games themselves. The sales slumped pretty dramatically after the hype died down despite the continual output of games from Nintendo.
Around here a lot of kids are still playing the Wii, and love 3rd party stuff like dem Ben10 gaems or crappy party games collection.

3rd party was uninteresting from a grown-up gamer perspective, that's for sure.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Around here a lot of kids are still playing the Wii, and love 3rd party stuff like dem Ben10 gaems or crappy party games collection.

3rd party was uninteresting from a grown-up gamer perspective, that's for sure.

Oh, I'm not saying that people didn't/don't enjoy the console or its games. Just from what I've seen, though, it seems like more families bought the console more for the controller than any of the games in particular (except for maybe Wii Sports). And if people were buying the console for its game selection alone, the sales should've remained pretty consistent and steady - rather than quickly plummeting after a few years.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
lol look at all those sheep, real games might actually make there brains melt due to the amount of thinking they would have to do

but its terrible, my 8 year old Half Brother says "why does everyone want to play a game that is boring, all you do it point and pull trigger"
he even beat me in a pokemon battle and i was like WTF where did he learn strategy like this, considering Black and White 1 was his first pokemon game and i have been playing since red and blue, i had planned to go easy on him, proud day
Hone his skills, he is the one!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You're over-thinking it. The WiiU is a landing pad for Nintendo 1st Party games. It will succeed or fail based on the merit of those games.

This is mostly true.
It takes a bit more to make the console truly successful, but as long as they put out enough quality 1st party games, the console will certainly not be a failure.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still can't wait to get a Wii U. Most of my friends are Nintendo gamers too so I won't have to worry about that. I play most cross-platform games on PC so I really only want exclusives for Wii U. They are the only thing that sells consoles.

Here's something funny for the people going on about parents who let their kids play M rated games.
While I agree, I still think it's really a matter of the child's maturity. My dad let me play Mortal Kombat when I was 6.
I now only really play one violent game, Half-Life. And I've only been playing Valve games since February.

My dad is starting to get worried about me, since I still play Nintendo to the max (he doesn't know I play PC now, but 90% of my gaming is still Nintendo anyway.). He has offered to give me an Xbox with those games, I turn him down every time. I had to buy my Wii when I was 11 with my own money without him knowing.
Funny reversal of roles, don't you think?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want Zelda/Metroid/Mario. Punch Out is always fun. I also wish I could control my bipolar mood swings. Just half troll, lmfao. Sports usually are better on Sony/MS, not only shooters. I bought 360 because shooters/sports were...lacking. NBA 2K was a joke on Wii.

New, SNES, N64, just because of growing up on them. PSX for Command and Conquer RA Retaliation, Syphon Filter, etc. Out...GameCube for Zelda/Metroid. Wii, same wants/needs. PSP only to hack it. GB years ago, not sure why, lol. Wii U gets mocked but the exclusives repeat with kids/families. Generational. Even in Marcan's share on another thread; people mock Wii U. For us Nintendo fanboys/girls, it is upgrade, HD, has exclusives, and has potential with game pad. The pad is inventive, even for in game maps/special functions in sports, etc. Homebrew on game pad anyone? GC was great to me. Best $60 I ever spent;-)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I asked him if he was interested in a WiiU. The thought horrified him. Interestingly enough it had nothing to do with games, graphics or gadgets, it came down to friends. For him, the thought of walking away from the 30 or more people he has developed friendships and regularly games with horrified him.
That's an interesting answer. And one that I must admit I haven't thought much of, but which is certainly true: peer pressure.

Nintendo had quite a reputation for making kiddy games (and probably still has), which is pretty much a negative among kids. But the generation of today grows up with facebook, skype and smartphones. That social stigma of not being reachable to friends may be (or become) even more important than the quality of the console or their games. :unsure:

I can't say for sure, though. As a thirties-something gamer, I grew up with single player, and having friends around are a distraction from that (unless it's for in-house co-op). Games have certainly evolved, though. I'm curious to what degree this has an impact, though...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the gloom and doom talk of the 3ds at the beginning, the time it been out, no games built from the ground up, and the big 1st party games are not out yet, I don't think it's that serious.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm not saying that people didn't/don't enjoy the console or its games. Just from what I've seen, though, it seems like more families bought the console more for the controller than any of the games in particular (except for maybe Wii Sports). And if people were buying the console for its game selection alone, the sales should've remained pretty consistent and steady - rather than quickly plummeting after a few years.
The Wii enetered the market and found a huge gap in the fun family console genre. It flew off the shelves and was purchased by a lot of people who would never have considered a console in the past. Many of the these same people grew bored very quickly with the gaming idea so this market has also shrunk a great deal from the Wii's heyday.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly is it really that hard to say no? If Niece and Nephew play like playing gaems when their at at my house and if they want to play something that isn't appropriate for them, I'll just say no. I've never understood parents who buy their kids 18 rated gaems.
To be fair, I can't see much harm in multilayer COD with the graphic content settings turn off. You shoot someone, they fall down they get back up. It's not a lot different to Water Warfare just a hell of a lot more fun. I do not let my lad play the campaign for this game and he doesn't want to either. I think a lot of people are too fapped up over the violence in video games. I think it only becomes a problem when the game play becomes completely un-monitored by the parents. I am constantly monitoring my boys online settings, his friends and his game play. He is quite open about who he has made friends with and is quite happy to sit on the laptop and remove those who he considers are not the best company.

I think lack of supervision from parents is the biggest issue not the games themselves. I would never let mine play GTA but is COD in multilayer with supervision really that bad?

tl;dr: Wii U has no philosophy.
Your a lazy man, funny but lazy.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Im an Electrical Safety Inspector and as such i have visited to test over 3000 properties in my town since the release of the WiiU , I havent seen 1 WiiU on my travels , i dont know anybody that owns one , well aside from my son <cough> me <cough> . My mrs is a childminder , and we have a steady trickle of kids in my house through the school day , that changes periodically , and none of them knew wtf our wiiu was. I have enducated them and tbh , they aint interested.

My son keeps askin me when will Minecraft be out on the wiiu , bless him . He sulks when i say never , and retreats to the PC. The wiiU here has become a cool gadget for browsing the net , streaming films and playing some fun indie games with the mrs (thats not an euphemism).

Im convinced the lack of interest/sales is down to marketing or lack of. I havent seen one commercial since the one at christmas. I still dont see wiiu games on their own display stand at the local supermarkets , rather there just bunged into the old wiiu section. If ninty wanted to grab the kids and divert their attention from the current gens , then advertise COD showning the "cool" gamepad features or something , but deffo DO something .

I can see new games coming and this may generate interest , if advertised. Someone needs to tell nintendo that if you dont have a wiiu you cant actually see the eshop. It really is a shame the way people are talking of this console , and if it doesnt pick up soon , its going get swept under the carpet with a huge fusion/ps4 shaped sweeping brush when their mega advertising campaigns come along.

D

Deleted_171835

I think the Wii was carried more by its control scheme gimmick and the hype surrounding it than the games themselves. The sales slumped pretty dramatically after the hype died down despite the continual output of games from Nintendo.
The Wii died precisely because Nintendo stopped releasing titles on the system. Two or three games in 2010 doesn't really seem like "continual output" to me. Without third parties to help the system by releasing the game, there was hardly anything to play and sales died down accordingly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)