Homebrew WiiSXR: Fork of wiisx, a gamecube/wii/vWii psx emulator

HeavyMetalLoser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I decided to give the emulator a try. I did a test each on Symphony of the Night and the first Spyro game.

SotN - With Frame Skip OFF I got anywhere between 30-60 FPS depending on how graphically intense the area is. Turning Frame Skip ON allows it to maintain 100% Speed without too much choppiness.

Spyro - With Frame Skip OFF I got around 45 FPS. Frame Skip ON allowed 100% Speed but made the game noticeably choppy. Still playable, but not good enough to make play it like this over using my PC.

Can anyone who has more experience with this recommend any good games that run really well?

Undeadslayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey HeavyMetalLoser, there's only so much the Wii can do as an emulator. With that being said, I've had luck with frogger 3d but the music loops though, frogger swampy's revange just slightly choppy. Also breakout runs 100% perfectly. A word of advice though, I wouldn't play that spyro game, it has hidden piracy code.

HeavyMetalLoser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey HeavyMetalLoser, there's only so much the Wii can do as an emulator. With that being said, I've had luck with frogger 3d but the music loops though, frogger swampy's revange just slightly choppy. Also breakout runs 100% perfectly. A word of advice though, I wouldn't play that spyro game, it has hidden piracy code.
I was testing Spyro 1, it's Spyro 3 that has the infamous copyright protection. Also, something weird is that while the emulator says I'm getting ~45 FPS, to my eyes it looks much lower, around 20.

Back on Spyro 3, the anti-piracy measures only kick in if you use a cracked iso. If you can find a clean rip of the game, you can generally play it with no issues on most emulators. Just last year I did a 100% run on the latest version of ePSXe with absolutely no problems.

Anyway, what I'm really looking for is a way for playing emulated games on my TV in good quality with a good controller without having to shift my computer across the room. While my homebrewed Wii does a great job for everything 8 and 16-bit, I'm still looking for an inexpensive way to play N64, PS1, and certain GBA games (I absolutely NEED constant 60FPS and 100% Speed in Metroid Zero Mission for all those sequence breaking tricks.) Can anyone recommend a device for those systems?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was testing Spyro 1, it's Spyro 3 that has the infamous copyright protection. Also, something weird is that while the emulator says I'm getting ~45 FPS, to my eyes it looks much lower, around 20.

Back on Spyro 3, the anti-piracy measures only kick in if you use a cracked iso. If you can find a clean rip of the game, you can generally play it with no issues on most emulators. Just last year I did a 100% run on the latest version of ePSXe with absolutely no problems.

Anyway, what I'm really looking for is a way for playing emulated games on my TV in good quality with a good controller without having to shift my computer across the room. While my homebrewed Wii does a great job for everything 8 and 16-bit, I'm still looking for an inexpensive way to play N64, PS1, and certain GBA games (I absolutely NEED constant 60FPS and 100% Speed in Metroid Zero Mission for all those sequence breaking tricks.) Can anyone recommend a device for those systems?

Depending on your budget, an nVidia Shield will emulate up to PSP full speed, but they do cost around 200 dollars. Those cheap Chinese tablets may be powerful, and cheaper, but are bad quality.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mGBA runs every single GBA game on Wii full speed, no sacrifices; VBA GX, I don't know why people would want to use that lol.

pawhtiobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone have a working forwarder for WiiSXR??? i cannot find one anywhere that doesnt black screen.

HELP!

I found this one for the last v2.2:

Download

- Install the channel.
- Rename the folder \apps\wiiSXR to wiiSX
- and...It works

PS: If you quit wiiSXR the screen stays black, and you have to power cycle the Wii... (edit)

Regards,

Last edited by pawhtiobo,

Undeadslayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey HeavyMetalLoser the Wii is your best bet unless you have a ps3 and willing to hack it. There emulator on the Wii you can play n64 games. It's called not64, it runs most of the games. As for your issue with psx emulator, I never had any problems with that, it all depends on what games you are running. Just play around with the settings. A great game that works with the emulator with no issues at all is Mechwarriow 2 31 century combat.

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried some games that weren't on the compatibility list and had some great results!

Gekido - Urban Fighters - Gameplay works perfectly. Sadly there is no music though probably to do with how the disc read the music because sound effects work perfectly.

Speed Punks - Plays decently well! Around mid 40's FPS.

Speed Freaks - Decided to try the pal version of Speed Punk's thinking it'd run perfect but it stays at a black screen playing the menu select music after you pick a cup.

Animatic Story: Cardcaptor Sakura - Was very excited to try this one because of the recent fan translation! Gameplay works perfectly! Music works too but for some reason voice samples are completely messed up. Game is still playable though since everything is subbed. Didn't try disc swapping since I've yet to see a game on the compatibility list that actually works with the swapping.

Finger Flashing - Works perfectly. Feels a bit sluggish but nothing that affects gameplay badly.

Raystorm - Freezes at the checking memory card screen. Would appreciate if someone could confirm this one.

Rapid Reload - Works perfectly but music doesn't play. Sound effects work though.

Einhander - This one is already on the list but just thought I'd share it works near perfect with frame skip on. Not sure why the current listing says to try it to your preference.

Seems like Wiisx is GREAT for playing obscure games! Tons worked much better than I was expecting. Have yet to try Zanac X Zanac but that's next on the list.

EDIT: Rakugaki Showtime stack dumps at boot. Would definitely appreciate someone confirming.

EDIT 2: Twisted Metal: Small Brawl doesn't work. Stuck at the PS logo screen. Sucks since it was the only Twisted Metal game to not have CD Audio sampling or whatever so the music would have actually played on Wiisx.

EDIT 3: WAIT, is this different from Wiisx beta 2.1?? Are there compatibility differences between beta 2.1 and Wiisxr?

Last edited by SlimPortable,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could somebody help me out, in wiisx castlevania sotn recives input just fine but in wiisxr it doesn't, I don't get why

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if it's possible for games on Wiisx to read other save files stored in the folder to unlock bonuses this way? In Strider 2 you unlock a secret mission by having a finished save file of it and Strider 1 on the same memory card. Just beat both, saved both, and didn't get the secret level in Strider 2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh