coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm..

WiiKey_programmer.jpg

I will probably be able to build the programmer, but what do the symbols mean? The boxes with the colors inside especially. And the one with the +.

I was never good at reading diagrams, even this simple one.
wacko.gif

ICEM4N

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.theninjabunny.com
XP
Country
Austria
the boxes are resistors and the color indicates how many ohms has to be. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor )

The + symbols indicates the "orientation" of a capacitator (i dont know if this is the correct word, in spanish is a "condensador") But that doesn't indicates de value it has to be! So search for a more explained diagram or search where you find it if it indicates hte µF it has to be

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone has been spot on so far.

The small boxes with coloured bands are resistors.
The colours determine their values (normally first two value, third "power" i.e. 10^3 and 4th is normally gold and means 5% tolerance although it can be slightly different and there can be more than 2 "value" numbers.
red red brown gold is what they are which means 22*10 with 5% tolerance aka a 220 Ohm resistor (fairly common)
Search for resistor colour/color codes for more.

The two boxes with a + is a capacitor. They act as a charge storage device (in this case probably to smooth a signal).
There are two types of capacitor, electrolytic and non-electrolytic.
The former are usually cheaper and of higher value with the "downside" (it can be used in certain circuits) and the latter can be used both ways (but are usually smaller in value and more expensive).
As people mentioned put them in the wrong way and at best your circuit will not work properly and at worst you will blow it up.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was kinda confused by that drawing too, I couldn't tell if they were looking to show a capacitor or a diode, cap makes sense though to deal with draw spikes on the power from the parallel port.

Anyway I found a better diagram with it, this is meant for the DIP version of this chip, but it's the same deal:
http://chiip.descrambler.de/index.php/Programmer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."