Hacking Wiikey drivechip from xenogc

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 15,948
  • Replies 92

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The Cyclo Wiz does not run exactly like its "predecessor" Wiinja in Wii devices with GC2-D2B chip set.They falsely assume that Wiinja runs fine on the D2B chip, which it doesn't, so you can take this Wiikey news with a grain of salt.
I think that may just be the translation that makes it seem that way.
If you rearrange the translated text it sounds better:

The Cyclo Wiz does not run in Wii devices with GC2-D2B chip set exactly like its "predecessor" Wiinja.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think you should still take their news like tequila, with the salt.

It sounds like they are doing the right thing, but for all we know they can get the Wiikey below the cost of the CycloWiz and that may be their real motivation for changing orders.

Just because they are claiming the WiiKey is compatible with Wii consoles doesn't make it true either. I think it will (I hope) but I wouldn't say something like that without backing it up with proof.

Fazered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope that people are ready to judge the Wiikey in the same *fair* and *level-headed* way they did the Cyclowiz. It's a quick solder and just another drive mod and they also have the DVD upgrade but worse they promise "future proof, expect cool features to come"

If this mod did somehow allow you to play true multi-region it should be much easier for Nintendo to detect and combat.

That said I'm going to wait a while and see how good it looks before ordering any of them.

brocher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm fitting my Wiinja tonight, not too bothered to have missed out on the "updateability" of this chip. Have an x-box 360 too (Hitachi) and if you look at how much development has been made on the 360 firmware in the last year (basically just the ability for Sammy owners to play x-box 1 backups and comestic tweaks) it's apparent that you can only do so much with DVD firmware.

I can't see any updates for this chip any much more functionality than it already has. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be very surprised if a DVD firmware hack would ever support region free gaming, so wouldn't buy this chip in the hope that one day will enable region free. If and when region free comes, chances are you'll still have to open up your box, remove whatever chip is in it and put in another one.

If you're afraid you may have D2B or D2C Panasonic chipset and don't won't to open up until you have the chip in your hand and can't wait, buying this one is a no-brainer.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so to clear this up, the wiikey is compatible with current and previous versions of the Wii, and will work with the D2B or D2C chips?

Ok, maybe we should just wait for some user reviews...
I think the fact that they still don't even have a picture of it on the website means that it is yet to be seen to exist. After that we can worry about features, when someone actually gets to test one.

brocher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if I caused confustion. When I mentioned the other chip sets what I meant that if you bought this one at least there is a chance that it may work in the future via an update, whereas the current Wiinja's and Cyclone will never work.

Hopefully someone already has managed to generate a valid response to the D2B and D2C firmwares and that Wiikey et al are even now busying themselves in writing new code that will work with all current chips
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr