Hacking Wiiflow not loading partition and/or games

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum yesterday so...

Also I'm fairly new to hacking my wii, I just hacked it 2 months ago. So I'm not that experienced.

I have been following these forums for a very long time but just now have decided to join because I need some help. The problem is that wiiflow (or usbloadergx 3.0) will not load games from my usb drive. It did show games at one time, except when I tried to play them the screen went black and sent me to the home menu. I tried to fix that but then everytime I started wiiflow the dsi error occured. I fixed this but now no games will show up (Wiiflow not recognizing my usb drive partition). I made sure that my drive is FAT32 and that I have the right cIOS settings for 249 and 250. I tried force loading but that didn't work either. I don't know what else to do. Please help.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
returning to menu when launching a game is a symptom of "game not found".
so, it's either hardware (flashdrive not working) or software (wrong cIOS).

flash drives are not always compatible. it might be your first problem here.
Do you have any other device you can try ? even another flash drive (maybe the other one will work) or an external hdd.

When you are inside USBLoaderGX, go to settings > credit.
Look at the top, and write all you see (the version, and cIOS base, etc.)

or post a syscheck, but it's not really needed if you can just look at the credit page.

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
returning to menu when launching a game is a symptom of "game not found".
so, it's either hardware (flashdrive not working) or software (wrong cIOS).

flash drives are not always compatible. it might be your first problem here.
Do you have any other device you can try ? even another flash drive (maybe the other one will work) or an external hdd.

When you are inside USBLoaderGX, go to settings > credit.
Look at the top, and write all you see (the version, and cIOS base, etc.)

or post a syscheck, but it's not really needed if you can just look at the credit page.
Ok I'll do this later today and post an update. Also I do have other flash drives but they are all used for other important things...so I would need to buy one.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it shouldn't be an issue that the drives are already used, the loaders are compatible with FAT32 and NTFS.
it shouldn't damage or corrupt your data as long as you don't try to write something to the drive (dump a disc, for example; or download covers or cheats from the loader, or dump your NAND, etc.)
reading is not a dangerous event.

But if you are willing to buy something, please, don't buy a flash drive specifically for the console, go directly to an external hard drive. even a small one (250GB) is enough, no need to go with 4TB or 8TB HDD, it's useless and if it's corrupted you lose even more data at once...

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it shouldn't be an issue that the drives are already used, the loaders are compatible with FAT32 and NTFS.
it shouldn't damage or corrupt your data as long as you don't try to write something to the drive (dump a disc, for example; or download covers or cheats from the loader, or dump your NAND, etc.)
reading is not a dangerous event.

But if you are willing to buy something, please, don't buy a flash drive specifically for the console, go directly to an external hard drive. even a small one (250GB) is enough, no need to go with 4TB or 8TB HDD, it's useless and if it's corrupted you lose even more data at once...
How much do external hard drives cost on average? (edit: found one for only $28. not bad.) Also it probably would end up being used only for the console or also for my wii u, because I would have no other use for it.

Last edited by Skeagle,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
250GB seems to be around 60$/€
it seems you can have 1TB HDD for the same price. go with 1TB then.
Western Digital "Element" or "my passport", or a seagate drive.

Maybe you can find cheaper drives. external hdd from other brand will probably be more compatible than any flashstick/flashdrive.

Don't take bigger than 2TB, as few homebrew might not be compatible, you'll have unused space.

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, it should work.
as long as it's a real hard drive, and not a fake one.

Some chinese company are selling flashdrives embeded inside an external hard drive case.
but it looks legit, based on the available sizes.

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry ik this is kind of old...

So I'm currently going to save up for a $60 1tb hdd (this is why I waited for holiday sales :D) and I also want to know if I could make a split partition, one for my wii and one for my wii u and one for (possibly) something else?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry ik this is kind of old...

So I'm currently going to save up for a $60 1tb hdd (this is why I waited for holiday sales :D) and I also want to know if I could make a split partition, one for my wii and one for my wii u and one for (possibly) something else?

Wii U filesystem only supports the full drive. You'd need two if you want native storage and Wii homebrew.

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U filesystem only supports the full drive. You'd need two if you want native storage and Wii homebrew.
Oh ok. So, I have to use the hdd for the wii only (or wii u only), but I can still use it for other things? I know I wont use the whole 1tb for the wii, and I definitely will want to use the other 800gb or so for my laptop.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wii HDD can be used for other things, it's FAT32, or NTFS, or partitioned, etc. you put any (non wii) files where you want.

WiiU HDD is formatted entirely encrypted for your console, you can't use it for anything else, until you format it again.

Last edited by Cyan,

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii HDD can be used for other things, it's FAT32, or NTFS, or partitioned, etc. you put any (non wii) files where you want.

WiiU HDD is formatted entirely encrypted for your console, you can't use it for anything else, until you format it again.

Oh alright. So in that case I'll have to buy two hdd's, but I'll just worry about that in the future.

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bump, because I need to ask yet another question.

So, I finally got enough money, and I'm going to buy this for my wii. obviously i'm not going to use 1TB for just my wii, so can this also be used with my pc?

Also, will this actually work with my wii. I don't want to waste $60 on a drive that doesn't even work with it. Eventually, I'm also wondering if I can switch this over to my wii u at some point, when I primarily use my wii u for playing wii/wii u games and hacking.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bump, because I need to ask yet another question.

So, I finally got enough money, and I'm going to buy this for my wii. obviously i'm not going to use 1TB for just my wii, so can this also be used with my pc?

Also, will this actually work with my wii. I don't want to waste $60 on a drive that doesn't even work with it. Eventually, I'm also wondering if I can switch this over to my wii u at some point, when I primarily use my wii u for playing wii/wii u games and hacking.

Check the GBATemp Wiki for compatibility. It looks like there are some issues with My Passport drives but some of them can be worked around like it being formatted as GPT rather than MBR, auto power-saving, etc. The drive you linked also has built-in encryption so that could possible cause issues.

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the GBATemp Wiki for compatibility. It looks like there are some issues with My Passport drives but some of them can be worked around like it being formatted as GPT rather than MBR, auto power-saving, etc. The drive you linked also has built-in encryption so that could possible cause issues.
I ended up checking this and bought (and just today received) a wd 320gb external portable hdd. As soon as I got it I formatted it to FAT32 and tried loading wiiflow with it, only to find it would not detect. At first this was very frustrating, (and I played around with some settings and now I get a fatal error so idk about that) but then I reviewed this section about the hdd on the wiki and found that no where in that description does the reviewer mention wiiflow, instead they mention using usb loader gx and some cIOS settings that I don't know how to do.

tl;dr: I have an idea of what format my hdd should be in but I have no idea what steps to take to make it work with usb loader gx or wiiflow. please help, because I would greatly appreciate seeing that I did not waste $75 on a hdd.

Last edited by Skeagle,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse