Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Fledge, if you can't implement folder browsing or mode specific categories, is there any way to have certain pages of categories set up for certain plugins, and have it jump to that page when in that mode?
so you want - when you select a specific plugin and access categories it will go to a specified page automatically? If so - that might be possible.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you want - when you select a specific plugin and access categories it will go to a specified page automatically? If so - that might be possible.
Yes. That way if we have movies set up to page 3, we won't have to shuffle through them. That is if you're sure you can't make each plugin have their own. I know I sound like a broken record, and I'm sorry, but I'm really curious, fascinated really, about how hard it would be to do. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate that improvement. If you have a minute, I'd love to discuss some ideas with you. Who knows, maybe you'll like one of them... :)

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. That way if we have movies set up to page 3, we won't have to shuffle through them. That is if you're sure you can't make each plugin have their own. I know I sound like a broken record, and I'm sorry, but I'm really curious, fascinated really, about how hard it would be to do. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate that improvement. If you have a minute, I'd love to discuss some ideas with you. Who knows, maybe you'll like one of them... :)
the easiest way to do it is just add a line to a source menu btn such as - catpage=3. as for touching the plugin ini's that something i don't do - that's fix94 territory. That's like crossing the barbwire hoping not to step on a landmine. :)

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the easiest way to do it is just add a line to a source menu btn such as - catpage=3. as for touching the plugin ini's that something i don't do - that's fix94 territory. That's like crossing the barbwire hoping not to step on a landmine. :)
Ok, cool. I'll be looking forward to that.

Speaking of plugins and such, Would it be possible to at least give each category button it's own image properties instead of all other pages copying page 1? If people like the check box system, they can always stick with it, but if some prefer the look and feel of the source menu, they have the option to set it up in a similar fasion. I know before when I first presented the idea to you, you had some reservations regarding it not being as intuitive, but that was just one way to go about it.

I also had the idea of being able to add/delete categories from within wiiflow, which would require a virtual or USB keyboard, but I best not get too ahead of myself.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, cool. I'll be looking forward to that.

Speaking of plugins and such, Would it be possible to at least give each category button it's own image properties instead of all other pages copying page 1? If people like the check box system, they can always stick with it, but if some prefer the look and feel of the source menu, they have the option to set it up in a similar fasion. I know before when I first presented the idea to you, you had some reservations regarding it not being as intuitive, but that was just one way to go about it.

I also had the idea of being able to add/delete categories from within wiiflow, which would require a virtual or USB keyboard, but I best not get too ahead of myself.
The main reason I don't want to add individual images for each category is because it eats up too much of the wii's memory. when wiiflow starts it adds every buttons image into memory so it can be quicky recalled later. by using the same 10 images for every page - if you have three pages that's still just 10 verses 30. so sorry that's a no - but I'll look into the other idea.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason I don't want to add individual images for each category is because it eats up too much of the wii's memory. when wiiflow starts it adds every buttons image into memory so it can be quicky recalled later. by using the same 10 images for every page - if you have three pages that's still just 10 verses 30. so sorry that's a no - but I'll look into the other idea.
I seem to recall the source menu having unlimited plugins. Would it help if that were scaled back, now that just about every emulator that can be run on the wii has been plugged in?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hey guys, time to update to 4.1.3!
not much changed this time but you know stability updates are important, thats the log:
-added my ntsc-j patch for gc games, meaning you should be able to play japanese gc games on non-japanese properly now
-updated the wii game video patching, now if you set video patching to normal or higher, it will also apply the sneek video patch, this will give you a much higher compatility in patching video modes
-added fwrite patch, just set debugger to OSReport
-fixed up some neek rev checks
-replaced the "Disabled" hooktype by "AUTO", meaning it will automatically set the hooktype VBI for you if you want to use cheats but forgot to select a hooktype
-added debugger pause back, it will be automatically enabled if you just use debugger but no cheats
-added full plugin dol path support, meaning if you use for example
dolFile=usb1:/apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol as dol file path,
wiiflow will also load it from there, if you just specify for example
dolFile=snes9xgx.dol, wiiflow will add the plugin path to it to build like
usb1:/wiiflow/plugins/snes9xgx.dol for loading
-added plugin dol path auto partition searching, meaning if you do
dolFile=apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol, wiiflow will check through
sd:/apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol, then usb1:/apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol, etc.
-updated wiiflows libraries, this should give more stability especially for cover loading
-added quadforce 4+ support
-added a new plugin argument, {name_no_ext}, it will get replaced by the filename, just without its extension
-now required and selected categories are cleared whenever you change source(s)
download on google code, as usal

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I seem to recall the source menu having unlimited plugins. Would it help if that were scaled back, now that just about every emulator that can be run on the wii has been plugged in?

No, please fledge68. There are still some emulators plugins missing (Neko project, Quasi88, Wiiapple, Wiituka, WiiXL etc...?).
That would also prevent from making a plugin for a specific game or app.

Reactions: AbdallahTerro

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, please fledge68. There are still some emulators plugins missing (Neko project, Quasi88, Wiiapple, Wiituka, WiiXL etc...?).
That would also prevent from making a plugin for a specific game or app.
I just meant taking it down to about 50 or so. Or would it depend on how many plugins are actually present?

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
- updated to latest github
- no more invisible cursor (Beneath a Steel Sky and maybe other games?)

I also made another plugin based on scummvm 1.2. One of the reason is the 2 discworld games don't start in the latest wii versions. There's also an issue with cursor with FM-TOWNS games (Zak Mc Kracken for ex., one of my favorite game ever).
You can mix this with mod7 for some problematic games. You can create a plugin per game. I put an example for discworld 1 in the archive.
Thanks for fixing the cursor in scummvm and for the alt version.
However, I didn't understand how to create a plugin per game. Is this possible to do it for other games other than Discworld? I've looked at you example, and noticed it works with .rvn files, what kind of files are those?

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The extension isn't important, the file is empty, it's just to show something in coverflow. Abdallah already made an example with grim.

Ok, I'll try to explain.
For instance you want the alt plugin to launch Discworld 2.

- You create an empty file called "Discworld 2.rvn" (or whatever name).
- Then a .ini file called "discworld2.ini"
- In this file (the .ini) you specify the file type (.rvn)
- You pass the argument to the scummvm-alt.dol. The argument is the gameid that you find in scummvm.ini that list the games. ( [dw2-cd-fr] ie. dw2-cd for example).
- Give a magic number. For ex DSC2, it's 44534332 in hexadecimal. A converter hex <-> ascii here

Your final discworld2.ini :

[PLUGIN]
magic=44534332
coverColor=fcff00
coverFolder=scummvm
fileTypes=.rvn
romDir=WiiFlow/Plugins
dolFile=scummvm-alt.dol
bannerSound=scummvm.ogg
displayname=ScummVM
consoleCoverID=
arguments=dw2-cd-fr

You can use this in source menu file combined with the other scummvm-mod7 :

[BUTTON_12]
image=ScummVM.png
image_s=ScummVMb.png
source=plugin
magic=5343564D, 44534332
emuflow=4

A bit hard and long to explain but it's a lot easier to do.

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
@wiimpathy
Sorry to correct you but I made that example for Grim Fandango as well as the plugin. Hence the extension stands for Residual VM. Abz has made dummy files for wiiflow/emuflow in the form of gcn files for the quadforce plugin.

If someone could make a forwarder dol that accepts command line arguments, and checks for specific game ID's parsed you could have one plugin no duplicates just select a game and the forwarder decides which scummvm mod to run based on the game id parsed.

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks Wiimpathy for the clear explaination.
Scummvm mod7 somehow fixed all audio/video lagginess in Curse of Monkey Island. The game is now running perfect from my usb partition, not a single hiccup!
You really improved Scummvm Wii, really awesome work!:yaywii:

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
No probs but what do you think of the idea of a forwarder dol for both versions of scummvm mod that runs the mod with the best compatibility? Maybe a text file with a list of game id's that work best in one version gets read by the forwarder and if argument parsed matches certain criteria it will load a different scummvm mod. I ask because I can code a fowarder to accept command line parameters but don't know how to get it to parse them to another dol. I'd been toying with the idea for a while to make all plugin dols forwarders that way it would be easier to upgrade or mod the original emulators. Also it would mean no plugin for only one game and I could include Grim Fandango in the scummvm game list instead of on its own.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
added trailers too but need to fix link for mgrimmenators thp video convertor plus add his fanart maker.

also been adding pics and images to various pages to make them look more interesting instead of just blah text. a tip from etheboss a long time ago. thanks - it does look better. :)

side note: in case you missed it I did an update to wiiflow to clear selected and required categories when changing source(s).

**** UPDATE - added mgrimmenators tools for fanart and thp trailers ****
This is fantastic thanks a lot fledge68!

Is anybody else having problems with trailers not working? As in they skip a lot, Audio Stutter, graphics issues? I know macman420 confirmed this as well but I'm wondering, if anyone else? I literally can't enjoy trailers right now.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so since i redid all my music an separated them by genera.( rock/classic rock/grunge/metal. ect..)
making a ini file to match the genera. how do i get it to play loop/random an not just one selection at a time.( i'm trying to get wiiflow play the genera like a playlist,(yes this works.) as if they are in the music folder, with out having to click play each time when the music is done playing.)
it has been a loooooong process doing this over 2500 covers, an this isn't even finished.
thanks for the "offical release for orchid/starie night. these two themes are my favorites(yes even over mine.).
an great update to wiiflow fix94. this loader is the shiznit.

Reactions: MassiveRican

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)