WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by zorglub07, Jan 17, 2010.

Jan 17, 2010

zorglub07 New Member

Message Count:
    France
    About this thread, and the status of this project,

This thread is meant for the open source WiiFlow project found here, which had several teams along the years.
    Hibernatus is the original author, then Narolez was the first to work on this open source version, followed by r-win, hulk, miigotu, OverjoY and now FIX94.
    The current dev team is new, but it's the same team as a whole, with the same testers and themers. r-win (former lead developer) and myself (project founder) are still around.

Here is a summary of recent events:
    The project was standing still after months of not having a stable release.
    r-win had been busy and as such inactive, and miigotu, the last person that was invited to the project and worked alone for a while, had been inactive for 5 months.
    FIX94 began working on WiiFlow on a svn he opened called wiiflow-mod. He was invited to work on wiiflow shortly after and OverjoY (a previous team member) came back at about the same time.
    At this point, the wiiflow-mod svn, was considered a place to commit work in progress, not as a fork.
    OverjoY, together with FIX94 and with the help of a few IRC channel regulars who contributed code, released r418 of WiiFlow after it was approved by the tester team. They were preparing the release of a new stable version.
    Miigotu came back and removed everyone (all other owners, committers, contributors) from the WiiFlow project on google code locking it to himself only, before anyone had a chance to talk to him.
    He then erased r418 from the svn. He agreed to give back access and work with FIX94 and OverjoY to merge their work with his work in progress that he had yet to commit in 5 months.
    After refusing any help to do the merge and doing it all by himself, tensions arose on IRC between him and a few channel regulars. It led him to block everyone from google code for a second time, without any prior discussion.
    He started committing again and agreed to give back access insisting that FIX94 and OverjoY wouldn't be added again as committers. This, even though he could have been sure he would get a chance to review any piece of code before they would commit it.
    After talking with testers and regulars it appeared a vast majority didn't support him at all. It was decided it was best for everyone to go on with the original plan of having OverjoY and FIX94 be part of the team, helped by the same team of testers, and let him start his own branch.

I would like to state the obvious in that there is not a single or true WiiFlow.
    There is the original released by Hibern, this open source WiiFlow project, and several other flavours.

The current team consists of OverjoY (returning member) and FIX94 (IRC channel regular, new member).
    They were already part of the team before being removed. FIX94 had not committed himself, but his work was by OverjoY as part of r418, and he would have been added shortly after.
    This project has always been a community project, and as such the decision to split paths has been a group decision.

To sum it up, even though you don't have to judge a project by it's name:
    This project is still called WiiFlow.
    Miigotu's project is called WiiFlow Advanced and anyone who enjoyed working with him in the past is encouraged to help him.
    2 people like this.

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Message Count:
    Lebanon
    Thanks Fix - BTN in correct position now :)
    still need a way to adjust the homebrew/Emu coverflow mode, can this be done by editing the ini too?

VashTS Beat it, son

Message Count:
    United States
    alright im so lost on the new emulator incorporated version. where the hell do my covers go!? i tried in sd:/wiiflow/boxcovers, sd:/wiiflow/covers, sd:/fceugx/ and sd:/fceugx/covers. am i missing something or does nes covers not work?

im using mastershoes collection of images for the covers, they are renamed exactly like the rom file name. maybe the size is the issue? what size does NES have to be?

mastershoes GameTDB Mod

Message Count:
    United States
    Use the 2D covers, and put them in "wiiflow/covers". YOU MUST INCLUDE THE GAME EXTENSION (i.e. - .nes, .gba, .smc, etc.) in the image name. (ex - Alien 3.smc) I just used Batch Re-Name Utility and added the extension's on that way, only took a minute!

XFlak Considering Wii-tirement...

Message Count:
    Canada
    FYI, best renaming app I've found is "renamer" found here:
    http://www.den4b.com/?x=downloads
    1 people like this.

VashTS Beat it, son

Message Count:
    United States
    I just tried to exit a game, the yellow highlighted button was OK but when i hit "a" it selects cancel. In the preceding menu the yellow highlighted button does what its suppose to. Is this possibly a bug?
    I see covers have to be "game name.ext.png" that is a little over kill to me.

mastershoes GameTDB Mod

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks, will check this one out!
    • Global Moderator

FIX94 Global Moderator

Message Count:
    Germany
    I just finally finished at least the nes emu with manual save and load support, test it please:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3szi6ojlw72375r
    It's 400kb smaller than the file before, english only and the strange open/close menu sounds are removed ;)

VashTS Beat it, son

Message Count:
    United States
    i keep getting duplicate SNES listings. i even deleted the cache folder and it had only 1 per rom in there, but then after exiting a game, the dupes were back.
    • Newcomer

secamfr New Member

Message Count:
    France
    Don't work for me, the Wii restart to the Wii menu (first version run great but no save).
    • Global Moderator

FIX94 Global Moderator

Message Count:
    Germany

fledge68 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Abdallahterro - yesterday at work I realized you could just backup your carboniki.ini and then start WiiFlow and go to 'Adjust Coverflow' and click 'Save'. It will rewrite carbonik.ini adding all the names of labels and buttons including the new ones. You could do this for all the themes and just look for 'MAIN/EMU_BTN' and change the 'x=' and 'y=' to the same values as the hombrew, channel, usb, and dml buttons. The graphics won't match b/c it will use WiiFlows default graphics but at least it will be in the correct postion and work.

As for COVERFLOW just look under '_COVERFLOW' to see how it's set up. I have a feeling 'COVERFLOW' hasn't changed but inside the WiiFlow source code it detects what you are viewing and uses a different box mesh (Size) for homebrew view and emu view. But I'm just logically guessing.

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Message Count:
    Lebanon
    Thanks, It worked :)
    I guess Fix should tell us how to adjust the coverflow in homebrew and Emu modes since it's not in the ini yet.
    I also need something like Wii Backup Manager to batch rename all my roms. Does anyone know if such a tools exists?
    Is there a Roms title database? Renaming thousands of rom files manually is out of the question.
    • Global Moderator

FIX94 Global Moderator

Message Count:
    Germany
    Just uploaded r239 to the svn!
    Changes from r230 are that the wiiflow default click sounds are fixed now, they sound correct again, they are also smaller, if you have DML view set to USB, you will now see if the game is already copied to sd card, behind the game title will be "(on SD)" now, you'll need to reload cache for that. Fixed the bug that if you try to launch a DML game from usb and its not on sd, and the sd havent got enough space, that it tried to boot the game anyway which resulted in a blackscreen. Also fixed a wrong displayed message when copying from usb to sd. The libpng is now reverted back to the older rev, that fixes codedumps and problems with covers dont load properly. The cache of the DML view will now also reload if copying a game from usb to sd. Wiiflow now also tries to find new installed games better, that takes a bit time and may freezes wiiflow, option is "extended_list_check" (enabled by default). The long loading time after installing a wii game should be gone too now. Launching big homebrew files, over 5mb should finally work, the limit now is 32mb, not tested that big files, just in theory ;)
    This rev is also on the normal wiiflow svn as r428 :)
    Update via internal wiiflow update or google code as always. The emulator stuff will come in the next release.

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Message Count:
    Lebanon
    Hey Fix, since you're still working on the Emulator mode, can you make custom path in wiiflow.ini for nes, snes, gb, gbc and gba roms along with a custom filter for emulator mode so that one can see only one emulator at a time if needed?
    Thanks for the update :)
    • Global Moderator

FIX94 Global Moderator

Message Count:
    Germany
    The folder for roms etc wont be changeable, thats what I can say for sure already, sorry... A filter will maybe come, my plans for now are to make it like only if the emulator dol is found to display the games then.

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Message Count:
    Lebanon
    Alright, no problem but at least make separate folder for GB, GBC and GBA roms. The others have their own folders already.
    I know this info will be available later but just for more testing, what's the default rom path, cover path and cover name format for all emus right now?
    • Global Moderator

FIX94 Global Moderator

Message Count:
    Germany
    fledge if you please would commit the png too? otherwise I cant make it ready to use ;)

Path for nes is fceugx/roms, for snes snes9xgx/roms and for gb etc its vbagx/roms. Covers are still wiiflow/covers and the name need to be the same than the rom file.

bostonBC New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Fix - I'm getting these errors on compiling r240:

menu.o: In function `CMenu::_buildMenus()':
    c:/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/source/menu/menu.cpp:942: undefined reference to `checkbox_png'
    c:/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/source/menu/menu.cpp:942: undefined reference to `checkbox_png'
    c:/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/source/menu/menu.cpp:944: undefined reference to `checkbox_png'
    c:/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/source/menu/menu.cpp:944: undefined reference to `checkbox_png'
    c:/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/source/menu/menu.cpp:946: undefined reference to `checkboxs_png'
    c:/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/source/menu/menu.cpp:946: undefined reference to `checkboxs_png'
    c:/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/source/menu/menu.cpp:948: undefined reference to `checkboxs_png'
    c:/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/source/menu/menu.cpp:948: undefined reference to `checkboxs_png'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [/c/Users/Bob/open-wiiflow-mod-read-only/boot.elf] Error 1
    "make": *** [build] Error 2

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Message Count:
    Lebanon
    What's the maximum number of roms that we can use in Emu mode, I added 2000 files thought it froze but after 15 secs after clicking the button it worked ;)
    I find a temporary workaround by renaming all nes roms to NES_(Rom Name), GB to (GB_(Rom Name) etc...
    now things are more organized and using B+UP or down takes me from one emu to the next.
    I'll free SD space to download covers now
    Great job :)

Edit: Running GBA zipped files takes me to SM!
    Edit2: same with Snes smc files!