Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

WiiBrickBlocker

Disable firmware updates on Wii disks

%5B630%5Dwiibrickblocker.gif

An ISO patcher for the Wii has been released which disables the firmware updates that come packed with the disc. There were a lot of reports of Super Paper Mario bricking PAL Wiis that weren't already up to date due to the NTSC region firmware update that starts when you insert the game. This patcher makes things a lot safer by stopping disc updates from running.

There are no reports on testing the patcher with all Wii games however it appears to work for Super Paper Mario.

Many thanks to the author rockman, and HipN for the heads up! You can download the patcher locally from GBAtemp's download section

download.gif
Download

icon11.gif
Source

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
I don't reckon this'll be frequently used by regular users though. I mean now that this tool is out the Scene groups will just run it before releasing the dump. Still good though.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't reckon this'll be frequently used by regular users though. I mean now that this tool is out the Scene groups will just run it before releasing the dump. Still good though.

Still useful for those that rip their own iso's from wii disc though... Any fellow GBAtempers given this tool a trial run?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I just wanna know how they're discovering more about the ISO format - perhaps someone should do a before/after comparison to see what bytes were changed?

imyourxpan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i was wondering what was going on with that update. i doubt you will see those sneaky updates on 3rd party games unless they got the 'ok' to do it. i wonder if they could do this to update games or such so it saves the newer files on the wii, and reads them when you play. idk if that made sense lol

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanna know how they're discovering more about the ISO format - perhaps someone should do a before/after comparison to see what bytes were changed?

Yeah it was my understanding that the games were encrypted and that's why they have to dump them with the garbage data. First they change the region info, and now this? Are they really encrypted? I'd love to not have to download 4.7 gb every time.

bertalizer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Glad to see that I wasn't that far of with my comment in the paper mario thread

I've just read the original post on wii-addict.fr...

The creator states that there are still 2 or 3 things that he needs to improve but that the program works.

How does it work? A Wii disk consists of several partitions. What the program does is swap the update installer partition with a partition from a disk that doesn't have an updater.

B.

Shinbo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi
@Dirtie : This apps change the first partition of the dvd (from : 0x50000 to 0x0x0f800000)
it switch the partition with a partition dump of a dvd without update
smile.gif
as said by bertalizer

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
Cool. I wish I would've had this instead of updating using a Japanese disk. Does it work with those? Does it work with Strikers?

Jennee

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Hiii

Thanks for the blocker program. One quesiton though, what do I do with it? If I already backup games..do I back them up again after I do things to it with the blocker program
cry.gif

Thanks
shy.gif

PS: I havent got my own Wii yet but planning to get one very soon. My biggest concern is the region brick problem and if I'm not safe (or my Wii) from it..I'd wait until the problem's been fixed with an..easier (?) solution (exept only playing games from the same region as the machine)

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
^
I'm assuming you are planning on modding your wii. If so, you better act fast, all the new wii's are unable to mod (easily, or at all).

check out the info about new wii motherboards and cut pins
lecture.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun