Wii wont detect External Hard Drive (USB Loader GX related)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TameFlame, Jan 20, 2012.

Jan 20, 2012
    • Newcomer

TameFlame New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    Hello! I recently learned about Wii softmodding, and I read alot about it.
    Today I installed the Wii homebrew channel and BootMii to my Wii.
    I learned that you can play downloaded games from an external hard drive, if you install a program called "USB Loader GX".
    I found this video on youtube: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHhGWIs_HEU", which shows how to get all the nescessary programs and files installed.
    I used an external hard drive from Western Digital, 2 TB.
    I read on the wiki that it is compatible with the Wii even without formatting it to FAT32 (which I dont seem to be able to either?), but after I installed the USB Loader GX, formated the hard drive through WBFS Manager 3.0, and plugged it into my Wii and turned it on, nothing seemed to appear in the Homebrew channel. Am I doing something wrong? do I need to do something else?
    Help is much appreciated!

• Newcomer

LorenzoTheComic New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Are you sure the drive is plugged in to the bottom USB port?
    • Newcomer

TameFlame New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    no, I'm not. but is there a difference? and I'm not sure which one is the bottom USB port either? :/
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    United States
    USB Loaders can only recognize the USB drives from a particular port, as far as I know.
    • Newcomer

TameFlame New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    I just tried doing everything over, and I tried plugging it in both USB ports, didn't make a difference :/

The_Dragons_Mast New Member

Message Count:
    Egypt
    You should insert the hdd to the port near the wii edge & what do you mean nothing appear in homebrew channel ? Nothing should appear in hbc you just load usbloader gx & it will recognize your hdd & games .

ddetkowski New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    first off, dont format your drive to WBFS, if even 1 game is corrupt, so goes all data on it, and all your games.
    The most stable format is FAT32, use FAT32 GUI Formatter to do that with, the ENTIRE drive.
    Next, use ModMii to hack your wii with, just follow the instructions it outputs for you. Easy.
    Use Wii Backup Manager to transfer your free wii games you download from your PC to your usb drive.
    • Newcomer

TameFlame New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    I dont really have USB Loader GX installed yet. (Now I DO realise that this is kinda stupid) but in the video he never explained how to install USB Loader GX, I just read another place that it's supposed to be installed through hbc, but when I think about it, I'm problably supposed to install that before formatting the hard drive in WBFS. I'll just see if that helps!

*edit*
    ddetkowski, I just saw your comment now, I will do so then, but also, I used an SD card to install the USB Loader GX on, loaded it up in the hbc, but I dont get the channel? (I suppose I should have hbc, before starting on what ddkowski told?)
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    United States
    Is the USB Loader's folder in SD:\apps\?
    • Newcomer

TameFlame New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    yep, I now get a message saying following; "Loading any cIOS. USB Loader GX requires atleast cIOS 222 or 245-250. E(arrow to the right, but i cant scroll with the arrow buttons) :/

Message Count:
    Egypt
    Just rehack your wii using ModMii that video seems either horribly outdated or made by an idiot .
    • Newcomer

TameFlame New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    I have absolutely no idea how to rehack my Wii. I'm not sure if I can uninstall the things iI installed? or if it's nescessary?

Message Count:
    Egypt
    You don't need to uninstall anything . Download ModMii , open the wizard in it , answer the questions it ask you tell it you never hacked your wii & it will make a guide for you to rehack your wii .

ddetkowski New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Modmii runs from your PC, it will download all files needed to rehack. just put those files on a blank 2GB sd card.

obcd New Member

Message Count:
    Belgium
    And also note that a homebrew program like usbloader_gx doesn't appear automagically as a channel on your system menu.
    You need to install a channel on your wii nand before it appears in your system menu. You have channel forwarders that load the application they
    should run from the sd card or usb drive, and you have channels with the program embedded in them. Those second types take more space on your wii nand, and need to be reinstalled to update the application. Their advantage is that they start faster.
    • Newcomer

Sativa. New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I installed modmii used super smash bros then removed sd card and installed usbloaderGX on the card using a video i found on the tube , if you need a link i'll find it for you :)
    • Newcomer

TameFlame New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    Allright, I used ModMii, and got all needed things installed and I now have the USB Loader GX channel! you guys have been a great heelp, thanks alot! all I need to know now is how to run downloaded games on the USB Loader GX channel. so is it now I'm supposed to follow ddetkowski's original, first advice?
    • Newcomer

Sativa. New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Download Wii games then extract the Iso file , then drop and drag file onto external drive and play :yay:
    • Newcomer

TameFlame New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    awesome, thanks! great help!
    • Newcomer

Sativa. New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Use wbfs manager or wii backup manager to add it to your HD. Dont just drag it. Format the harddrive to fat32 first. All info i picked up on here and worked so far but only using USB storage at the mo.

SPONSORED LINKS