Hacking Wii wont detect External Hard Drive (USB Loader GX related)

TameFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello! I recently learned about Wii softmodding, and I read alot about it.
Today I installed the Wii homebrew channel and BootMii to my Wii.
I learned that you can play downloaded games from an external hard drive, if you install a program called "USB Loader GX".
I found this video on youtube: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHhGWIs_HEU", which shows how to get all the nescessary programs and files installed.
I used an external hard drive from Western Digital, 2 TB.
I read on the wiki that it is compatible with the Wii even without formatting it to FAT32 (which I dont seem to be able to either?), but after I installed the USB Loader GX, formated the hard drive through WBFS Manager 3.0, and plugged it into my Wii and turned it on, nothing seemed to appear in the Homebrew channel. Am I doing something wrong? do I need to do something else?
Help is much appreciated!

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
You should insert the hdd to the port near the wii edge & what do you mean nothing appear in homebrew channel ? Nothing should appear in hbc you just load usbloader gx & it will recognize your hdd & games .

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first off, dont format your drive to WBFS, if even 1 game is corrupt, so goes all data on it, and all your games.
The most stable format is FAT32, use FAT32 GUI Formatter to do that with, the ENTIRE drive.
Next, use ModMii to hack your wii with, just follow the instructions it outputs for you. Easy.
Use Wii Backup Manager to transfer your free wii games you download from your PC to your usb drive.

TameFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont really have USB Loader GX installed yet. (Now I DO realise that this is kinda stupid) but in the video he never explained how to install USB Loader GX, I just read another place that it's supposed to be installed through hbc, but when I think about it, I'm problably supposed to install that before formatting the hard drive in WBFS. I'll just see if that helps!

*edit*
ddetkowski, I just saw your comment now, I will do so then, but also, I used an SD card to install the USB Loader GX on, loaded it up in the hbc, but I dont get the channel? (I suppose I should have hbc, before starting on what ddkowski told?)

TameFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yep, I now get a message saying following; "Loading any cIOS. USB Loader GX requires atleast cIOS 222 or 245-250. E(arrow to the right, but i cant scroll with the arrow buttons) :/

TameFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have absolutely no idea how to rehack my Wii. I'm not sure if I can uninstall the things iI installed? or if it's nescessary?

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
You don't need to uninstall anything . Download ModMii , open the wizard in it , answer the questions it ask you tell it you never hacked your wii & it will make a guide for you to rehack your wii .

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And also note that a homebrew program like usbloader_gx doesn't appear automagically as a channel on your system menu.
You need to install a channel on your wii nand before it appears in your system menu. You have channel forwarders that load the application they
should run from the sd card or usb drive, and you have channels with the program embedded in them. Those second types take more space on your wii nand, and need to be reinstalled to update the application. Their advantage is that they start faster.

Sativa.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I installed modmii used super smash bros then removed sd card and installed usbloaderGX on the card using a video i found on the tube , if you need a link i'll find it for you :)

TameFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Allright, I used ModMii, and got all needed things installed and I now have the USB Loader GX channel! you guys have been a great heelp, thanks alot! all I need to know now is how to run downloaded games on the USB Loader GX channel. so is it now I'm supposed to follow ddetkowski's original, first advice?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte