Hacking Wii won't connect to Internet

phason_metroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My Wii was bought at launch day and is on 4.2U firmware with a Wiikey modchip in it. I've got Homebrew Channel, USB Loader GX, Bootmii and Priiloader installed.

When I try to do a new connection in my Wii settings, it see's all the wireless networks in range but fail when doing a connection test.

Here's my troubleshooting process:

I removed the wireless security on the router. Error 52130.
I changed the wireless channel on the router. Error 52130.
I power cycled the router and the modem countless of times. Error 52130.
I reset the router on factory settings. Error 52130.
I tried to imput manually the connection settings in the Wii (IP adress, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4). Error 52130.
I bought another router with everything said above. Error 52130.
I tried to connect with 3G tethering of my cell phone. Error 52130.
I tried to connect on my Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector (with the computer connected wired and after wirelessly to Internet). Error 52140.
I tried to connect wired with an USB adaptor (wired to my router/modem and only to my modem). Error 51420 if I remember correctly.
I called Nintendo, talked with a customer service agent and did everything again. Didn't worked.
I talked with 2 different Wi-Fi expert agent at Nintendo that know each other and tried to help me together. Didn't worked.
I let one of them take control of my girlfriend's computer to see if there was anything wrong in the router settings. Didn't worked.
I asked if they banned my Wii to connect on the internet because my Wii had "some software and/or hardware modification". They said no.
(Nintendo said if the above was the case, my error code would've started with number 2 and they would've told me right away)
I called my ISP to ask if there were any incompatibilities. Didn't worked. (I work for my ISP anyway so I would know)
I took the Wii to a friend's house to see if it would connect wirelessly (his Wii got no problem and he's with another ISP). Error 52130.
I took the Wii to a local videogame repair store, tried to connect on their Internet with a employee. Error 52130.
I did a lot of research on internet, forums and on Nintendo website with error codes. Didn't worked.
I looked if it was a hack in Priiloader that caused the problem. Didn't worked.
I updated every IOS and CIOS with ModMii. Didn't worked.

So as you can see, I've got some really good network knowledge and I tried everything. I look like my Wii connect on everything but when it's time to go on Internet, it won't.

I need to clarify that I did the same tests that I could do with my 3DS and it works. Now I'm asking myself if it could be some mods that did that. What do you guys think ?

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had the same problems not to long ago. the way i fixed it. was to do a up date of all iso an ciso.. an it worked.
an don't use pimp my wii aka. brick my wii. use modmii (in the stickies). an download every thing to wad an install with wad manager.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated all my IOSes and CIOSes with ModMii and I still have the same problem but thanks for your reply.

Anybody else got an idea ?
well sounds like a hardware issue. if it's a wireless issue, you'd need to take the wii apart. an replace the wi fi chips.(there is two of them inside. they sit on the plastic inside.) when wired it runs off of an ios. try running the wii to just the modem and not the wireless router.

phason_metroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just updated all my IOSes and CIOSes with ModMii and I still have the same problem but thanks for your reply.

Anybody else got an idea ?
well sounds like a hardware issue. if it's a wireless issue, you'd need to take the wii apart. an replace the wi fi chips.(there is two of them inside. they sit on the plastic inside.) when wired it runs off of an ios. try running the wii to just the modem and not the wireless router.

Sorry, what I meant was: "I tried to connect wired with an USB adaptor (wired to my router/modem and only to my modem). Didn't worked."

Since it doesn't work wireless or wired, I'll look into the network chip.

When I try to do a new connection in my Wii settings, it see's all the wireless networks in range but fail when doing a connection test.
You typed up that long list of things you've tried but didn't include the error number.

Yeah I didn't remember them when I made the topic. The error code when connecting wirelessly is the basic one that everyone gets when it fails: 52130

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry, what I meant was: "I tried to connect wired with an USB adaptor (wired to my router/modem and only to my modem). Didn't worked."

If it doesn't work with wireless nor wired, it's not a hardware problem. It's a software/network issue.

Yeah I remembered them when I wrote this. The error code when connecting wirelessly is the basic one that everyone gets when it fails: 52130
Definitely a network issue, but you couldn't have got that same error for every single test you tried.

phason_metroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
did you do what nintendo suggests to do to fix this?
http://www.nintendo....Wii&locale=lang

specifically the dns part. for whatever reason, my wii wont pass the connection test using my router or isp's dns. but it works fine whenever i use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
You didn't read what I wrote huh ?

I tried to imput manually the connection settings in the Wii (IP adress, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS). Didn't worked.
I called Nintendo, talked with a customer service agent and did everything again. Didn't worked.

But thanks for trying to help.

If it doesn't work with wireless nor wired, it's not a hardware problem. It's a software/network issue.
I just realised that the Wii must have two chip, one for wired network connection and another for wireless probably. So the chances that the two of them are screwed are minimal.
Yeah I remembered them when I wrote this. The error code when connecting wirelessly is the basic one that everyone gets when it fails: 52130
Definitely a network issue, but you couldn't have got that same error for every single test you tried.
You are right I didn't get the same error for the wired connection test and the nintendo wi-fi usb connector test but how could it be a network issue ?

"I bought another router with everything said above. Didn't worked.
I tried to connect on my Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. Didn't worked.
I tried to connect with 3G tethering of my cell phone. Didn't worked.
I tried to connect wired with an USB adaptor (wired to my router/modem and only to my modem). Didn't worked.
I took the Wii to a friend's house to see if it would connect wirelessly (his Wii got no problem and he's with another ISP). Didn't worked.
I let one of them take control of my girlfriend's computer to see if there was anything wrong in the router settings. Didn't worked."

How could all those connection/network types would all get the same problem ?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"Didn't worked" is not an error code. You said yourself you got different errors so it's obviously not the exact same problem in each scenario. If you actually gave proper information, maybe it would be possible to see where the issue is.

The usb ethernet adaptor is compatible with windows, test it out on a PC by letting it download the drivers then unplugging the normal network connection.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you didn't wrote what you thought you wrote, huh? nowhere did you mention that you tried a different dns server. "imput manually the connection settings" doesn't mean that you tried different dns servers. nothing in your first post says anything about that. we could assume that nintendo's reps did that when they took control of your computer, but assumption is the mother of all fuckups. so i asked.

Reactions: 1 person

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What name brand is the router? i know some routers have problems with wii's.. I know this cause of my brothers i.p provider an his wirless router. ( he had the cheap Belkin "play") an i think his modem was the cheaper Motorola. I gave him my older netgear, an a spare "newer Motorola" the ones used by timewarner cable company. that solved his problem.

phason_metroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Didn't worked" is not an error code. You said yourself you got different errors so it's obviously not the exact same problem in each scenario. If you actually gave proper information, maybe it would be possible to see where the issue is.

The usb ethernet adaptor is compatible with windows, test it out on a PC by letting it download the drivers then unplugging the normal network connection.
I knew this was going to happen. I told to myself before writting this topic that I must tell as most as possible or I'll be flamed by helpers. It look like even if I tried, I still miss some important information like error codes.

You need to understand that it's not that I don't want to give you the error codes, it's just that I don't have them right now.

My 3DS get no problem to connect on my network and my friend got a working Internet connection with his Wii but mine still won't connect that's why I've got hard time to believe it could be the network even if it's what the Wii says.

I would like to try again the USB adaptor but since it didn't worked I returned it for a refund. I'll try again to connect to my cell phone (error 52130 too if I'm not mistaken) and to the Nintendo USB Connector to give you the error codes.

EDIT: I confirm, error code is always 52130, on my network, my friends network and on my cell phone and 52140 on my Nintendo WiFi USB Connector. My 3DS works on any of those connections. I think error code for the lan adaptor was 51420.

EDIT 2: I added this (forgot when I wrote the topic): I took the Wii to a local videogame repair store, tried to connect on their Internet with a employee. Error 52130.

but assumption is the mother of all fuckups. so i asked.
You are right, thanks for asking.

What name brand is the router? i know some routers have problems with wii's.. I know this cause of my brothers i.p provider an his wirless router. ( he had the cheap Belkin "play") an i think his modem was the cheaper Motorola. I gave him my older netgear, an a spare "newer Motorola" the ones used by timewarner cable company. that solved his problem.
Mine is D-Link DIR-825 and the other one that I bought but returned to do some testing was a D-Link DIR-615. I had a DIR-615 before the one I have right now and it always worked.

Skettimon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey just wanted to let you know that I had the same horrible problem as you. The issue turned out to be the fact that my network was protected by a WEP. I swear, I ended up resetting the router and immediately connected.

This is not the first issue I've had with a nintendo console not connecting. My DS Lite never connected to any network that had a password, yet the moment the pass was removed, I was able to connect.

If you don't mind having your connection not secure, then I def recommend trying this. Even if you don't want to keep your network insecure, I do think this is worth a try for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its how we get shit tons of shovelware.