Hardware Wii -> Wii U Transfer with Broken Wii SD Card Slot?

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey there!

The Wii U Premium was pretty cheap on Amazon yesterday (new system for 300€), so I finally ordered one. However, I have a question regarding transfers from your Wii to your Wii U. I read that in order to transfer data from your Wii to your Wii U you have to insert an SD card into your Wii to backup your data to it. Here is the problem, though: The SD card slot on my Wii broke a few years ago and sending it to Nintendo for repair isn't really an option due to multiple reasons:

1. The warranty expired a long time ago (and even if it didn't, it's hacked Wii, anyways), so to get it repaired I would have to pay up to 70€.
2. Even if I had the money for that, non-warranty repairs usually take a very long time.
3. Also I have heard reports from friends of Nintendo not backing up the data on your system when replacing it. For example: A friend of mine lost all data on his 3DS after it was replaced. When he told the customer service about it they refunded a lot of the games in the form of eShop credits, but I'd rather not lose my data to begin with.

So here is my question: Is there any workaround for me to transfer my Wii data to my Wii U properly (with "properly" I mean that I also want to be able to get the cheaper price on Virtual Console games I already own and such stuff) without using the Wii's SD card slot? Is it maybe possible to use a USB device instead or to transfer the data directly? Or if that isn't possible: Is there a way to get SD cards working on my Wii for the data transfer without sending the Wii to Nintendo (or doing something equally expensive and bothering)? In case it matters: The slot broke, I guess, because I kept using cheaply made SD cards that easily broke and left behind plastic "chippings".

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As far as I know it goes something like this:
1. Download application on Wii and launch it
2. Insert SD card into Wii and backup all data you want to transfer onto it using the application
3. Download application on Wii U and launch it
4. Now insert the SD card into the Wii U and use the application to finalize the transfer
These are, I think, Nintendo's official instructions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2