Hacking Wii vs vWii

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vWii does a very simple/crude upscaling (stretching) of 480p to 1080p.

On the other hand Wii just output 480p, and it is up to your HDTV to upscale it to 1080p. Many HDTV does a much better job than what vWii offers.

This is a common knowledge.

So you could hook up the Wii U using component/composite, run vWii and then let the TV upscale it to 1080p to get the same effect?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So you could hook up the Wii U using component/composite, run vWii and then let the TV upscale it to 1080p to get the same effect?
Yes. Running component with 480p forced will have essentially the same look as if you running Wii (aspect ratio is slightly off on vWii and there is nothing you can do about it).

Note that composite cannot do 480p.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Did you have to set your Wii U to 480p to make it looks great, or do you leave it on 1080p? I mostly play my wii games on Dolphin now, so it has been a while since I last used vwii.
1080p my tv auto upscales and enhances it running through hdmi cable. it looks just as good as dolphin no BS. you should see what the emulators look like :P

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would argue that vWii mode looks better than a regular Wii. It's still the same resolution (480p) ultimately, but vWii mode doesn't blur the screen like the original Wii, and HDMI output gives it a much more vivid color. When I go to the vWii mode on my Wii U my TV actually notifies me that screen resolution has been changed to 480p, so it's not as if vWii mode's 480p is being poorly upscaled to 1080p. That's how it always looked, only it's not being blurred by inferior AV cables.

Downside: Wii U doesn't have GameCube ports, which means all my save data for Brawl, which I transferred over to my Wii U has been lying dormant for two years because I refuse to play with anything but GameCube controllers. I've just got to get my hands on one of those PHP controllers and my problem is solved, however.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1080p my tv auto upscales and enhances it running through hdmi cable. it looks just as good as dolphin no BS. you should see what the emulators look like :P
That's awesome that your TV makes Wii games looks just as good as dolphin. I think I have tried playing Wii games on vwii before using Brawl, to me the characters looks pretty blocky and lots of details are lost (tbh do not know how to word it correctly), where the Dolphin makes the game looks miles better. Perhaps I should give vWii another try?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's awesome that your TV makes Wii games looks just as good as dolphin.
the panasonic VIErA TH-P65VT20A 65" has KURO tech that's how it's possible. it just makes anything look spectacular whether it be tv, brd or games. i don't know why they stopped making plasma they were top of the woods.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I prefer vWii video quality, you got crisper colors brighter image overall and more detail.

the colors are different because its outputting hdmi color space and there isn't any color bleed like there is on the wii with component.

the wii has one of the worst video outputs of any console even if you use component cables. even the gamecube which the wii is built off had a clearer picture than the wii is capable of. vWii outputs a good video signal and as a result you get a better picture. yes it looks more jaggy and pixelated but that's how wii games look, those issues were simply hidden in the muddy image quality the wii output.

Reactions: OriginalHamster

RdJcz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, recently I wanted to upgrade my homebrew stuff to from wii to the vWii. However, since I got a little concerned about the image quality (due to the 1080p nature of the Wii U). I did a test on my tv. I put mario galaxy with wiiflow on Wii, and put the original disc on the vWii. I dont know if this was commonly known but the Wii looked better with component cables than it did on the vWii on HDMI. Characters on vWii looked more pixelated. Should i have the same concern for other apps, like nintendont or sneek vc games?

Yes, it will look more pixelated. This is because all of the analog "fuzz" is now gone and you are seeing a pure digital image. Beats me why Nintendo didn't at the very least implement some kind of simple antialiasing.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There's a simple solution to maintain the best picture possible for vWii.
Make sure you have component leads alonside your HDMI connected.

Before starting up vWii, change your output resolution and cables in the WiiU options.
Change the resolution to 480p and set you outputs to component.
change the source on your TV to get a oicture from your component leads.
Start vWii and enjoy.

It sucks that ninty resorts to a cheap scaling method when using hdmi for output.
There's artifacting like screen tearing and deinterlacing artifacting. ( test Zelda TTP and Mario Galaxy ).

Therefore if you want the best picture for vWii, make sure you connect your Wii U like you would a original Wii and set your options properly.
It's tedious but it works.

For the HDD problem, Try getting a HDD with external power.
USB Y works, but it will take up 2 usb slots.
Also when using homebrew you CANNOT use U stealth if you want to use your hdd for emulators and apps etc.
So you either have to hold B upon loading you Wiiu, painfully circumventening the much needed above mentioned video options.
Or pressing NO to prevent the Wiiu formatting you HDD upon nagging you about a compatible problem with the connected HDD.

A good option would be to have a remote controlled socket, and with a powered HDD, make you adapter switchable by remote.
After booting vwii just swith your connected HDD on and you good to go.

In general you need 2 seperate HDD if you want to use a HDD for Wii U purposes like eshop purchases and DLC.
Using 1 hdd for both Wiiu legit content and homebrew cannot be done or it is very tedious, annoying to do.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the colors are different because its outputting hdmi color space and there isn't any color bleed like there is on the wii with component.

the wii has one of the worst video outputs of any console even if you use component cables. even the gamecube which the wii is built off had a clearer picture than the wii is capable of. vWii outputs a good video signal and as a result you get a better picture. yes it looks more jaggy and pixelated but that's how wii games look, those issues were simply hidden in the muddy image quality the wii output.

Not true unless you use my method.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes. Running component with 480p forced will have essentially the same look as if you running Wii (aspect ratio is slightly off on vWii and there is nothing you can do about it).

Note that composite cannot do 480p.

Aspect ratio can be fixed by using vWii settings editor by Joostinonline.
Boot from HBC before loading your USB loader of choice.
Also usb loader gx can force aspect ratio on a global or per game basis.

Guys this all have been known for and fixed for about 2 years....

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not true unless you use my method.

its 100% true. the wii has awful video output and you should not use component cables to try an emulate it. the vwii displays the games closer to how they really should look.

the wiiu has better video output than the gamecube, the gamecube has much, much better output than the wii. do a simple google search and read up. no one should be trying to emulate the wiis blurry video quality simply because it hides some of the flaws 480p games.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aspect ratio can be fixed by using vWii settings editor by Joostinonline.
Boot from HBC before loading your USB loader of choice.
Also usb loader gx can force aspect ratio on a global or per game basis.

Guys this all have been known for and fixed for about 2 years....
Sorry if I did not make it clear (although I said "slightly off" that should hint right away I'm not taking about 4:3 vs 16:9)

If you compare vWii and Wii on just the system menu, you'll notice that on vWii it did not fill the screen completely while Wii does. You may have to disable overscan on your TV to notice it.

vWii does 848 x 480 while Wii does 720 x 480 stretched to 16:9 (resulting 852 x 480). Again not a huge error in aspect ratio, just slightly off.

zerowalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would like to see comparison with Wii Component vs Wii U HDMI. Both at 480p of course to prevent post processing.
It should be better quality, as you should see the original picture (no analogue mishap).

But then again if it's 240p/480i or something post processing may be forced by the Wii U (which i hope it doesn't) instead of letting the TV does it's thing.

One good thing should be audio though, Wii's audio is crap, it's highly over amplified, noisy, and no quality to speak of. But it's acceptable, but it kinda breaks the immersion if you use headphones.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would like to see comparison with Wii Component vs Wii U HDMI. Both at 480p of course to prevent post processing.
It should be better quality, as you should see the original picture (no analogue mishap).
i used that before i moved to vwii. it is slightly better quality the images look sharper but that's about it.

zerowalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
i used that before i moved to vwii. it is slightly better quality the images look sharper but that's about it.
Don't get it.

You moved from Wii Component to vWii (HDMI), and the image before was sharper?
Or do you mean the image became sharper after moving?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
oh i misread thought you meant the wii2hdmi adapter. using that on the wii makes the games look sharper and is better than component. but now that vwii uses proper hdmi my tv can upscale and enhance it properly.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Beats me why Nintendo didn't at the very least implement some kind of simple antialiasing.

They did, it's usually called Deflicker. Pretty much every GC/Wii game has it on, it can't get more simple than that.
ptT8I15.png

If you compare vWii and Wii on just the system menu, you'll notice that on vWii it did not fill the screen completely while Wii does. You may have to disable overscan on your TV to notice it.

vWii does 848 x 480 while Wii does 720 x 480 stretched to 16:9 (resulting 852 x 480). Again not a huge error in aspect ratio, just slightly off.

Where did you get vWii's res? I don't think Nintendo randomly decided to make vWii resolution modulus 16; it should still be 720x480.

On the original system menu, the resolution being rendered is 608x456, but it gets scaled to 672x456 in 4:3 mode and to something in the 686 range in 16:9 mode.
You can easily tell that the purpose is to show the channel images in square pixels and this can be proven by comparing the system menu to usb loader gx which also displays channel graphics but only using 640 pixels wide, you'll notice they're more thin than the sys menu and that there's more space in the overall image.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1