Homebrew Wii VC vs Emulators

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It must be some configuration issue because all games I tried on homebrew emulators run fullspeed without any issues, besides a few SNES games that had frameskipping sometimes. Genesis games surely run fullspeed for me, with no skipping or sound issues, be sure to use the last version of each emulators as well.

Genesis Plus GX standalone does not use frameskipping and runs faster than the Retroarch version (you can see it if you activate FPS display and frame throttle in both of them, I know because I tested it when it was added in genplus on googlecode).

As for others GX emulators, I don't think you really understand how frameskipping works: they use automatic frameskipping, which means they ONLY skip frames if the emulation speed goes below the needed framerate, which only happens in some SNES games from time to time (those with special chipsin it. mostly) and a lot of GBA games. Snes9x-next and VBA-next are somehow more optimized so those games are emulated faster, but it has nothing to do with frameskipping.

Frameskipping is the consequence of emulation speed, not the cause: some emulators try to fasten the speed by skipping the rendering of frame when needed, while Retroarch renders all frames in all cases, but if emulation speed is too low, the result is similar, some frames will not be displayed at the correct time (either dropped or repeated).

Well so sorry for being human and being wrong again. They're still superior than the GX variety of emulators, and don't suffer from the infamous tinny sound glitch when opening and closing the menu, a well known issue on Google Code that's never been resolved due to Libogc. The GX version of VBA isn't as good as the one for RetroArch either, and is better optimized as well. RA emulators > GX emulators in pretty much every way. Genesis Plus is also better tan the emulator M2 wrote for the Wii, the YM2612 emulation is done better. Frame skipping should be avoided.

xtreemsurf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to drag up this old post.

I have a question...or actually an observation, that I wanted to run by the community and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I installed/configured FCEUGX NES emulator for Wii. I was noticing that there was a slight input delay when I hit a button on the remote, while playing SMB1. I tried wired and wireless controllers with the same issue. I also checked the TV to be sure is was in game mode...

Ok

Next... I tried SMB1 through the Virtual Console on the same Wii, connected to the same TV. Guess what? No input lag! I was making the jumps and all controllers responded perfectly!

In the end, I finally set up Recalbox on a Raspberry Pi 3 and all my controllers/emulators work great, with no input lag.

I really wanted the Wii to be my main emulator system, but I just couldn't get used to that input lag.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix for it...or am I better off with the Raspberry Pi 3 for emulators?

Thanks!

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to drag up this old post.

I have a question...or actually an observation, that I wanted to run by the community and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I installed/configured FCEUGX NES emulator for Wii. I was noticing that there was a slight input delay when I hit a button on the remote, while playing SMB1. I tried wired and wireless controllers with the same issue. I also checked the TV to be sure is was in game mode...

Ok

Next... I tried SMB1 through the Virtual Console on the same Wii, connected to the same TV. Guess what? No input lag! I was making the jumps and all controllers responded perfectly!

In the end, I finally set up Recalbox on a Raspberry Pi 3 and all my controllers/emulators work great, with no input lag.

I really wanted the Wii to be my main emulator system, but I just couldn't get used to that input lag.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix for it...or am I better off with the Raspberry Pi 3 for emulators?

Thanks!

I noticed this too in FCEUGX. After playing a game for a few hours in the Retroarch Nestopia core, I could tell there was input lag as soon as I booted it up in FCEUGX.

Nestopia seems to be the all around better emulator. If you care about performance then you really shouldn't be using any of the standalone GX emulators (edit: except for Genesis Plus GX). Use Nestopia RA core for NES, Snes9x RA cores for SNES, mGBA standalone for GBA, and Gambatte RA core for GB/GBC.

That said, there probably is still some input lag when compared to an original NES. You'll likely get less input lag from the Pi as it uses HDMI, so your HDTV doesn't have to convert an analog signal and scale it like it would have to for the Wii. If you use a CRT however, Nestopia core on Wii might have the Pi's emulation beat in terms of input lag.

Last edited by InfiniteBlue,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm an 'original hardware' kind of guy, but NES/FC is an exception. I do have a beautiful AV Famicom and an EDN8 cart, but I usually get my NES/FC fix via FCEUGX on the Wii when I just need me some 8-bit. Why not on the real console? Well, 1] savestates, which are really a must for NES/FC, and 2] the NES and SNES emus on the Wii output 240p, which gives me a better picture over component through the Framemeister than I'll ever get with my Famicom*. And Wii VC, afaik, can't do that, so emulator FTW.

*Yes, it's possible to do the NESRGB or Hi-Def NES mod and achieve amazing greatness on the original hardware, but I'm not going to mod my Famicom. It was basically BNIB when I bought it and I'm not messing with it. Maybe if I get another one someday.

I noticed this too in FCEUGX.

Nestopia seems to be the all around better emulator. If you care about performance then you really shouldn't be using any of the standalone GX emulators. Use Nestopia RA core for NES, Snes9x RA cores for SNES, mGBA standalone for GBA, and Gambatte RA core for GB/GBC.

Thank you! Need to mess with these and compare.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

HeavyMetalLoser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators are better than VC for everything SNES, Genesis, GBA, and older. They perform just as well as VC with more options and features, as well having access to games never released on the VC, including hacks and fan-translations.

N64 is the one exception, if the game is available on VC then I'd recommend just getting that version, at least until Wii64/Not64 is further refined. I still recomend getting the latest version of Not64 for the small handful of games that it runs well that aren't on VC (Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, and Rocket: Robot on Wheels all run at full speed on the latest version of Not64.)

xtreemsurf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed this too in FCEUGX. After playing a game for a few hours in the Retroarch Nestopia core, I could tell there was input lag as soon as I booted it up in FCEUGX.

Nestopia seems to be the all around better emulator. If you care about performance then you really shouldn't be using any of the standalone GX emulators (edit: except for Genesis Plus GX). Use Nestopia RA core for NES, Snes9x RA cores for SNES, mGBA standalone for GBA, and Gambatte RA core for GB/GBC.

That said, there probably is still some input lag when compared to an original NES. You'll likely get less input lag from the Pi as it uses HDMI, so your HDTV doesn't have to convert an analog signal and scale it like it would have to for the Wii. If you use a CRT however, Nestopia core on Wii might have the Pi's emulation beat in terms of input lag.

Thanks for the input on this! I might look further into the Retroarch (non-GX) options. I have an NES to classic controller converter and I've converted a couple NES controllers to USB. I'll be trying out all my options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...