Gaming wii update?????? on pal?

badbob

Trophies
XP
Country
If your wii is up to date and yo have wiiconnect24 on theres nothing to worry about

until a new euro update is required on the pal system.....hoping this isnt going to cause an issue.

wonder if trying to update you pal wii after updating from spm will cause any problems...you know the update option in config?
that's exactly why I think i'm going to wait to play this game, I almost put it in my wii, then thought again.

When the next PAL update comes, it could have similar problems writing the PAL one over the US one and end up bricking your wii too
wtf.gif

People might think that they have survived the update now and be happy that they are playing Super Paper Mario, but they might not be so happy by the next update when they could end up with a brick that won't play anything at all.

I really want to play this game, but I'm not that desperate.

edit - on second thoughts, the firmware stays as 2.1E doesn't it, it doesn't become 2.0U so I'm going to go ahead and play it
smile.gif

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
If your wii is up to date and yo have wiiconnect24 on theres nothing to worry about

until a new euro update is required on the pal system.....hoping this isnt going to cause an issue.

wonder if trying to update you pal wii after updating from spm will cause any problems...you know the update option in config?
that's exactly why I think i'm going to wait to play this game, I almost put it in my wii, then thought again.

When the next PAL update comes, it could have similar problems writing the PAL one over the US one and end up bricking your wii too
wtf.gif

People might think that they have survived the update now and be happy that they are playing Super Paper Mario, but they might not be so happy by the next update when they could end up with a brick that won't play anything at all.

I really want to play this game, but I'm not that desperate.

edit - on second thoughts, the firmware stays as 2.1E doesn't it, it doesn't become 2.0U so I'm going to go ahead and play it
smile.gif

I was about to say, the pattern so far, if you've checked up on this matter, is that when you've updated you're Wii to the most recent 2.1E and you are connected to the internet it'll try to install the new firmware but it won't when it notices you have the most recent firmware, which means it shouldn't actualy do anything to your firmware... Do I understand this right.?

amudd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys, just an update, had pal wii (UK) not updated via internet etc so got the screen of death.. took the chip out, took the wii back to the shop i bought it from and they checked it out, they phoned nintendo who didnt know what the prob was or how to fix so just told the shop to give me another, which they did!
Got it home put chip back in (wiikey) noticed that it was a d2b chipset and my backups dont work anymore.. checked the install and looks ok.. maybe an early wiikey? or maybe this 'update' broke the wiikey too? gonna have to get a new one to test though, so good luck to everyone else who bricked theirs!

seank

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bricked Wii: NO
Wii version: Australian DMS
Wiiconnect active: YES
Opera browser downloaded: YES
Firmware version: 2.1E
Screensaver activated: NO
Language on system: English

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just wanted to say, thanks to some reports, it doesn't matter if WiiConnect24 is on or off. Someone bricked their Wii when it was on and their Wii had internet connectivity all set up, however they hadn't updated their console (don't ask me why). Another person says they had Wiiconnect24 and internet settings all turned off, except they had already updated to the latest version previously - and everything worked fine.

It's simply to do with if you've updated it beforehand or not, nothing more, nothing less. However, there have been multiple updates since the original "2.1E" update came out, but they all still show up as "2.1E" - so don't just go by the version number, it could get you in trouble. Instead just perform a system update before you try this game, regardless of what your version number is.

ModderFokker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Didnt brick the thing!

Firmware was already at 2.1e but seemed to update anyway (even after system update).

PAL (netherlands)
Cyclowiz 3.0

Everything working fine (internet didnt work first time but after hard-reset it did)

And yes ill buy it too when it finally arrives here in 2010
biggrin.gif

geolyte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So we know that this thing does not brick your PAL Wii when you habe the last Update Already installed.

But many people are worried it will maybe cause Problems with future Updates cause nobody knows if its just checking the system while it says "updating" or if its really installing something.

But wont it be easy to check this out? Afaik the Wii-Data-Menu shows the Freespace left on the System? So if someone noticed his free space bevore he firstly inserts the Game and than checks if the Free Space has changed we all will know. And i can start my Paper Mario Download
smile.gif

badbob

Trophies
XP
Country
I played the game now, the update went fine. The actual update process was really quick, just a few seconds. The other updates I have done have taken much longer than this one so I think it just checks to see what firmware you have and if it is the same or higher it just carries on to the game without writing anything to the wii firmware.

I think if you have a pal firmware lower than 2.0 which is the number for the US update this wants to install you will get the ntsc firmware update and a bricked wii.

EddyB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I played the game now, the update went fine. The actual update process was really quick, just a few seconds. The other updates I have done have taken much longer than this one so I think it just checks to see what firmware you have and if it is the same or higher it just carries on to the game without writing anything to the wii firmware.Â

I think if you have a pal firmware lower than 2.0 which is the number for the US update this wants to install you will get the ntsc firmware update and a bricked wii.

Mine also was very fast, I heared the update lasts a while when your wii gets bricked, I suggest to pull the plug if the update isn't done in like 5-10 seconds

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
New firmware version came out today, "2.2E"... Have any of you that have played SPM before updated your Wii to 2.2E? Any problems?

Has anyone actualy asked Ninendo what is in the SPM update?

SsSsS

Trophies
XP
Country
hey guys, just an update, had pal wii (UK) not updated via internet etc so got the screen of death.. took the chip out, took the wii back to the shop i bought it from and they checked it out, they phoned nintendo who didnt know what the prob was or how to fix so just told the shop to give me another, which they did!
Got it home put chip back in (wiikey) noticed that it was a d2b chipset and my backups dont work anymore.. checked the install and looks ok.. maybe an early wiikey? or maybe this 'update' broke the wiikey too? gonna have to get a new one to test though, so good luck to everyone else who bricked theirs!

dunno about wiikey since I have cyclowiz but it says that if u upgrade the chip you should not use it in another wii as it will not work for reasons I do not understand
wink.gif

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
All this uncertainty means wy wiikey will be sitting on my shelf for a wee while longer.

It took me so long to actually snag a Wii in the first place, I'll be buggered if I'm going to take any chances on bricking the thing.
I think I'll just hang on and check out the next few updates......

Yes, I am chicken
nyanya.gif

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
all you need is the latest update, and SPM will run fine.

Opera browser final downloaded: NO
Firmware version: 2.2E
Screensaver activated: ?

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Opera browser final downloaded: YES
Firmware version: 2.2E
Screensaver activated: ?

I got all my courage together and slid SPM into my Wii. I clicked the Disc channel and it said it needed to update. I click ok and the normal update window popped up, it ran to the end and then said the update had failed. My heart dropped and I thought I had bricked my Wii. Then The Wii restarted and the Wii menu came back up, I was so relieved. I clicked the disc channel again and the same thing happened I clicked OK and the update window came back up, the progress bar suddenly stuck at about 70 or 80%, I was freaking out, then suddenly it said the update was complete. The Wii restarted again and SPM was in the disc channel. Works great. Hope there are no problems in the future with my firmware...

Absurd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but, here goes...

Wii PAL - f00ked
Online - NO
OPERA installed - Again, no
Update Version - Don't know. The only update I've done was from the SSX Blur disc.

Any breaking news on if anything can be done to restore the machine? My wife only bought it me a fortnight ago today, and man is she pissed off
frown.gif

Silly question, but if I set up a wireless network in the house is it at all possible that the machine will pick up the signal and 'mend' itself?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse