Reactions: 1 person

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You'll probably get stars and coins as achievements. Maybe you'll be able to save up your coins for some of them drab 8bit games, cause everyone wants 8bit games on these new systems. Or once you get so many stars you might get a Poke' mon figurine. I really hope it is something worthwile casue on the Xbox 360 I could really care less if I get the achievements or not. It hasn't affected me in any way except the annoyance of the item popping up while I'm intensly playing a game.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You'll probably get stars and coins as achievements. Maybe you'll be able to save up your coins for some of them drab 8bit games, cause everyone wants 8bit games on these new systems. Or once you get so many stars you might get a Poke' mon figurine. I really hope it is something worthwile casue on the Xbox 360 I could really care less if I get the achievements or not. It hasn't affected me in any way except the annoyance of the item popping up while I'm intensly playing a game.
They already have coins for club nintendo (at least in America), so I doubt they'd use that for achievements as it would get confusing. Although maybe they would have it so you could earn Club Nintendo coins with achievements. But I doubt that, too.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's incredibly unlikely that achievement points will be worth anything. If they do offer anything, it'll definitely be digital and something insignificant to Nintendo's profit.
It's likely achievement modding like noobs do on the 360 to get gigantic gamerscore values will happen like crazy on the WiiU if they were to offer rewards.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's incredibly unlikely that achievement points will be worth anything. If they do offer anything, it'll definitely be digital and something insignificant to Nintendo's profit.
It's likely achievement modding like noobs do on the 360 to get gigantic gamerscore values will happen like crazy on the WiiU if they were to offer rewards.

The hope is there for value adding options and perhaps a skew towards some of the lesser free to play games might be an idea. Equally I will look to stuff like the animal crossing nes games back on the gamecube, some of the ninja gaiden classic modes (where you could play the originals) and indeed the game and watch stuff in some of the DS games. As it would probably happen to the exclusion of those options I will probably still call nonsense and have something similar to my last sentence reworded be the reasoning but it would not be quite as sound as it could be (there is no compelling reason to have the NES classic as anything other than a nice extra and the lack of them probably would not be noted otherwise*).

*technically speaking it is trivial to include every Mario game up to around the gamecube on a wii game as indeed many of our emulators on portable machines prove.

As for modding if only there was a way of having player data stored on the side of a server..... Granted it might take some thought to do properly with my immediate thoughts being something resembling the PSN rental library approach, some honour type systems (being banned from xbox live is apparently a bad thing according to some) and maybe a direct connection or unique rekeying (360 profile modding is sub script kiddie level but something like satellite TV modding takes actual effort). My only real concern with that is it might make some hacking pursuits able to be targeted by lawyers with some semblance of legitimacy but that is not a reason as far as most companies are concerned to avoid going down this path (it probably being a perk of it). Of course the really good business model will repurpose a choice phrase I see floating around (hackers gonna hack) and indeed consider that it would have been given away for free anyway; effort making for a better result even if it just in your head and that we have achievements in the first place and some of the justifications/defences seen for them in this thread alone would seem to indicate "just in your head" is quite fine to target.

Re the discussion on Kid Icarus two things the first of which is if you can not make a game on the system setup in the style you want then change it so you do (although I am not sure how one fails to make a version of space harrier on a modern system). The second that I forgot to do the first time around but can I twist the discussion and instead say games that spend resources to do token (bad) multiplayer and as much as it pains me to say token co-op. Granted such things might take actual effort which is probably not on a par with some token achievements wound onto another return value at the end of a level function although with modern engines and the end result of some of those token modes........

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The hope is there for value adding options and a skew towards some of the lesser free to play games might help. Equally I will look to stuff like the animal crossing nes games back on the gamecube, some of the ninja gaiden classic modes and indeed the game and watch stuff in some of the DS games. As it would probably happen to the exclusion of those I will probably still call nonsense and have something similar to my last sentence reworded be the reasoning but it would not be quite as sound as it could be.

As for modding if only there was a way of having player data stored on the side of a server..... Granted it might take some thought to do properly with my immediate thoughts being something resembling the PSN rental library approach, some honour type systems (being banned from xbox live is apparently a bad thing according to some) and maybe a direct connection or unique rekeying (profile modding is sub script kiddie level but modding unique content or something with an access token takes actual effort). My only real concern with that is it might make some hacking pursuits able to be targeted with some semblance of legitimacy but that is not a reason as far as most companies are concerned to go down this path. Of course the really good model will repurpose a choice phrase I see floating around (hackers gonna hack) and indeed consider that it would have been given away for free anyway (effort making for a better result even if it just in your head and that we have achievements in the first place and some of the justifications/defences seen for them in this thread alone would seem to indicate just in your head is quite fine to target).

Re the discussion on Kid Icarus two things the first of which is if you can not make a game on the system setup in the style you want then change it (although how one fails to make a version of space harrier I am not sure) I forgot to go there first time but can I reframe the discussion as instead say games that spend resources to do token multiplayer and as much as it pains me to say token co-op. Granted such things might take actual effort which is probably not on a par with some token achievements although modern engines and the end result of some........
No offense intended at all, but could you please use more punctuation? It's impossible for me (and I'm sure at least a few others) to understand what you're saying in your paragraphs without it.

Reactions: 2 people

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No offense intended at all, but could you please use more punctuation? It's impossible for me (and I'm sure at least a few others) to understand what you're saying in your paragraphs without it.

OH THAT'S WHAT IT IS.
I couldn't figure out why I was having such a friggin' hard time reading his posts. I just kept stopping 1/3 of the way through to preserve my sanity.

Reactions: 3 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1